Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age: Inquisition Pre-Release Thread

eremita

Savant
And only a small, abolutely insignificant number of gamers with serious analytical skills (Codex) will recognise, whether the game is actually good...

Inquisition won't be superior to Origins, and the latter generally isn't recognized by the Codex as good, and never as monocled. So what makes you think Codex will possibly recognize an inferior-to-Origins entry as good, even if it is? There is much hate for Origins on the Codex, it took years for Baldur's Gate to be "accepted" here by the Fallout crowd (RTwP, lack of C&C). Other than myself and a few other posters, how many Codexists bother to defend Origins' C&C, lore, characters, conditional tactical framework (none of which are perfect, mind) against other RPGs like Baldur's Gate, and how many posts can you find that really got down and dirty with Origins' mechanics and tactical mods like RAVAge?
That is all very true. Unless someone takes analyzing of this game seriously, not only it's gonna come down to usual ridicule, but weak aspects of the game will be exaggerated, while strong overlooked. I get that codex needs its regular portion of shit and giggles (and especially schadenfreude), but this game, like it or not, is gonna be a major RPG title, basically the only AAA title with serious party based tactical combat and more traditional values, so it deserves proper critique. It may even help with rising general awareness of RPGs, thus bringing more people to classics and therefore to potential "spiritual successors" (There are people who came to know F1/F2 by starting with Fallout 3 you know)... The reason why I want a proper critique is this: I abandoned the idea that I myself am able to create "proper" opinion. You need dialogue for that, you have to incorporate different views and arguments (and deal with them). For example, BG2 ,Fallout2 and Vampire Bloodlines were untouchable for me before I started lurking here... I learned much about my favorite games here, but certainly very little about recent Bioware games.

For starters, we need a proper review...

Last edited:

King Arthur

Learned
Did they ever explain why Loghain loved Ferelden so much? It's a primitive land, mostly wilderness, with a few huts and castles here and there, much like any medieval realm I'd imagine. The religion of Ferelden is shared by the rest of the continent, while the fashion is utilitarian (Liliana says as much when you ask her about shoes) and the literature is nothing more than bestiaries, encyclopedias and manuals hidden away in private libraries. No one you meet mentions anything good about Ferelden. In fact, the consensus seems to be that Ferelden is uncultured and dreary and that Orlais is far more sophisticated in every which way. It should be assumed that since Orlais is where everything fashionable comes from, it's culture would have far more sway on Ferelden's nobility than Ferelden's own culture, which is practically nonexistent. The land is governed through feudal contract, so to the peasants the tyranny of one absolute monarch would be just as good as the tyranny of the next. The feudal lords are basically parasitical robbers who rule through force and sit around in massive fortresses eating rich foods and wearing silk, or at least that's how they're presented in the game. So why is Loghain so adamant about denying Orlais' aid in defeating the Darkspawn? Not only is he paranoid that they will take over, but he seems to think that Ferelden has a culture of it's own that's worth preserving, despite the fact that it's presented as a uncultured backwater region that's dominated by tyrants who probably share more in common with Orlais' nobility than with their own peasantry.

Caim

Arcane
Did they ever explain why Loghain loved Ferelden so much? It's a primitive land, mostly wilderness, with a few huts and castles here and there, much like any medieval realm I'd imagine. The religion of Ferelden is shared by the rest of the continent, while the fashion is utilitarian (Liliana says as much when you ask her about shoes) and the literature is nothing more than bestiaries, encyclopedias and manuals hidden away in private libraries. No one you meet mentions anything good about Ferelden. In fact, the consensus seems to be that Ferelden is uncultured and dreary and that Orlais is far more sophisticated in every which way. It should be assumed that since Orlais is where everything fashionable comes from, it's culture would have far more sway on Ferelden's nobility than Ferelden's own culture, which is practically nonexistent. The land is governed through feudal contract, so to the peasants the tyranny of one absolute monarch would be just as good as the tyranny of the next. The feudal lords are basically parasitical robbers who rule through force and sit around in massive fortresses eating rich foods and wearing silk, or at least that's how they're presented in the game. So why is Loghain so adamant about denying Orlais' aid in defeating the Darkspawn? Not only is he paranoid that they will take over, but he seems to think that Ferelden has a culture of it's own that's worth preserving, despite the fact that it's presented as a uncultured backwater region that's dominated by tyrants who probably share more in common with Orlais' nobility than with their own peasantry.
Because it's his. The Codex might be a shithole filled with ingrates, assholes, horsefuckers and the irredeemably smug but it's still the place I go to every day. He sees Ferelden the same way and denies the aid of others to make it better, much like how the Codex refuses to play along with the mainstream opinion of sites like Kotaku.

Delterius

Arcane
Did they ever explain why Loghain loved Ferelden so much?
What a funny question to ask. Regardless of what they bring, be it FREEDOOMS or a new tax burden (or both), people tend to get kind of touchy about invading armies. Doubly so if such an invasion was still a fact two generations ago.

If you do want more specific setting information, keep in mind I am working off memory here.

Fereldan despotism isn't supposed to be as bad as its orlesian counterpart. In game, BioWare makes it a point to reference how tyrannical the orlesians can be with their own peasantry. Their errant knights can basically murder and pillage at will.

On the other hand, the fereldan caste system is different with the lower classes being supposed to be more autonomous and to hold more rights.

In Orlais, all aspire to become part of the nobility since that's the only way your life doesn't suck. In Ferelden, a commoner can be generally content with a lower position, but that means a trade off: it is generally implied that the peasantry in Orlais is tied to the land, while the 'freemen' (sans elves and criminals) in Ferelden, are not. Basically, the orlesians treated their subjects the way fereldans are used to treating the city elves.

So its really just romanticized England and romanticized France from the point of view of someone from England.

Athelas

Arcane
They will praise the writing because, let's face it bros, Bioware is still above average/great by gaming standards
lolno

Incidentally, I don't think they ever were. The Baldur's Gate games came out around the same time as RPG's like Fallout, Torment and Deus Ex. The great tragedy of BG2 is arguably that it received acclaim for the wrong things (the story and companions rather than the tactically interesting encounters and well-designed dungeons), presumably leading Bioware to shift their priorities...

...and the rest is history.

Last edited:

Delterius

Arcane
let's face it bros, Bioware is still above average/great by gaming standards
lolno

Incidentally, I don't think they ever were. The Baldur's Gate games came out around the same time as RPG's like Fallout, Torment and Deus Ex. The great tragedy of BG2 is arguably that it received acclaim for the wrong things (the story and companions rather than the tactically interesting encounters and well-designed dungeons), presumably leading Bioware to shift their priorities...

Are you saying that the AAA Industry's average for writing is Torment?

Athelas

Arcane
I was comparing Bioware's work to their peers, which at the time were RPG's like Fallout and Deus Ex.

Angthoron

Arcane
let's face it bros, Bioware is still above average/great by gaming standards
lolno

Are you saying that the AAA Industry's average for writing is Torment?
AAA's industry average writing is torment.

Turrul

Augur
Did they ever explain why Loghain loved Ferelden so much?
Fereldan despotism isn't supposed to be as bad as its orlesian counterpart. In game, BioWare makes it a point to reference how tyrannical the orlesians can be with their own peasantry. Their errant knights can basically murder and pillage at will.

On the other hand, the fereldan caste system is different with the lower classes being supposed to be more autonomous and to hold more rights.

In Orlais, all aspire to become part of the nobility since that's the only way your life doesn't suck. In Ferelden, a commoner can be generally content with a lower position, but that means a trade off: it is generally implied that the peasantry in Orlais is tied to the land, while the 'freemen' (sans elves and criminals) in Ferelden, are not. Basically, the orlesians treated their subjects the way fereldans are used to treating the city elves.

So its really just romanticized England and romanticized France from the point of view of someone from England.

Yeah, it's basically England vs. France, especially considering that peasants in the England back in the Middle Ages were in a better condition than French, being trained in archery and all that.

Black

Arcane
They will praise the writing because, let's face it bros, Bioware is still above average/great by gaming standards
The game isn't even out yet and you're already posting apologetic garbage about beaware.

Delterius

Arcane
I am actually planning to review it. Hopefully it will be a good contribution to the site.

I aklso been considering doing it. I haven't done a proper review in a few years now. (EU3 + SW:empire at war)
We might even collaborate on that front. Say, we might pick different ugly waifus to hate. Message each other to make a single text. Etc.

kris

Arcane
I am actually planning to review it. Hopefully it will be a good contribution to the site.

I aklso been considering doing it. I haven't done a proper review in a few years now. (EU3 + SW:empire at war)

We might even collaborate on that front. Say, we might pick different ugly waifus to hate. Message each other to make a single text. Etc.

Possibly. I will of course do a whole playthrough of the game. Usually as a too-goody-two-shoes kind of guy. certainly it would be good to have someone that played quite differently and particularly see if it made any difference and whether there were any consequences to choices. And see what anyone else thought about characters and story. Because apart from the pure informational part therein lies most the opinion and sadly it seems also plenty of unintentional parody.

Delterius

Arcane

Possibly. I will of course do a whole playthrough of the game. Usually as a too-goody-two-shoes kind of guy. certainly it would be good to have someone that played quite differently and particularly see if it made any difference and whether there were any consequences to choices. And see what anyone else thought about characters and story. Because apart from the pure informational part therein lies most the opinion and sadly it seems also plenty of unintentional parody.
Very well then. I'll play the game as an asshole type of person and I do intend to review it only after a whole playthrough. Do you have any preferred class and difficulty level? Also, maybe Infinitron should know.

kris

Arcane

Very well then. I'll play the game as an asshole type of person and I do intend to review it only after a whole playthrough. Do you have any preferred class and difficulty level?

Not really. I'd reckon a non-quanari male will be my choice. class is a toss-up, difficulty will be one with friendly damage because I find its absence retarded.

Delterius

Arcane
I don't know wether I should be thankful or worried but Friendly Fire was turned into a toggle. Naturally, I am contractually obligated to play a mage so that's it. I now look forward to November, kris.

Too bad konjad isn't around.

eremita

Savant
lolno

Fallout and Torment? Well, you just refuted your "lolno" yourself then, didn't you? Those are not your mainstream average now and never have been. (Torment was a disaster from financial point of view and Fallout wasn't exactly a big hit either btw). I was talking about mainstream category, certainly not about period of time...

eremita

Savant

Very well then. I'll play the game as an asshole type of person and I do intend to review it only after a whole playthrough. Do you have any preferred class and difficulty level? Also, maybe Infinitron should know.
Hopefully, you won't have to be an asshole to experience different content/results. I mean like Mages vs. Templars for example. If choosing one's gonna be an obvious dick move, then BW failed...

Athelas

Arcane
lolno

Fallout and Torment? Well, you just refuted your "lolno" yourself then, didn't you? Those are not your mainstream average now and never have been. (Torment was a disaster from financial point of view and Fallout wasn't exactly a big hit either btw). I was talking about mainstream category, certainly not about period of time...
Fallout and Torment had the same publisher as the BG games. They were mainstream games that were profitable (Fallout even got several sequels in a short amount of time), just nowhere as much as the smash hit that was Baldur's Gate. Which had less to do with them supposedly not being palatable for mainstream audiences and more to do with BG being traditional fantasy and better marketed.

The Black Isle games were more 'mainstream' for their time than for example Obsidian's games, I reckon.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Send Crooked Bee and myself a PM when the game comes out if you still plan on doing it then.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom