Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age: Inquisition Pre-Release Thread

He banned me and said I encouraged negativity on the forums. Oh, the irony.

Yeah, apparently in Bizzaro Bio land shitty writing, game design and gameplay do no encourage negativity on the forums... Only negativity in a select few posters, ergo ban them vice the shitty writing, game design and gameplay. No vicious cycle to see here...

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Really, I think the lackluster C&C is DAO's least problem. The godawful combat system and the complete nonsense plot are much worse.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Really, I think the lackluster C&C is DAO's least problem. The godawful combat system and the complete nonsense plot are much worse.

I can agree on that. People complain about the Deep Roads, but most of the other dungeons aren't much better.

jdinatale

Cipher
For a forum that allegedly hates Bioware so much, why is there a 153 page thread on their newest product?

Utgard-Loki

Arcane
For a forum that allegedly hates Bioware so much, why is there a 153 page thread on their newest product?
you must be so proud to have typed this. it's so clever, i tremble at the sheer enormity of your cognitive might. or could be slight annoyance. who knows.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Probably for the same reason we have an 800+ page thread for pointing out stupid game-related shit.

Also, what an original observation.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
As usual nothing here but "I hate everything about Bioware so none of this means anything to me blah blah blah."

I didn't say there was no C&C, I said none of it meant much. And to me it didn't. When I played the game I felt like it was all surface-level. Maybe a replay would change my mind but I don't think I am alone.

DA2 and the entire Mass Effect series was worse though.

It's a 153 page HATE thread. Duh

The opposite of love is indifference.

Codex is a 40 year old woman who got discarded in favor of two girls in their twenties and now tells everyone about how tiny and limp her ex's dick is, while secretly longing for the good old days when they were young and loved each other. If the man ever shows up at her door with flowers and a sorry look on his face, she'll jump on his arms and kiss him with unbridled passion, for all is forgiven. At least until the man starts chasing skirts again...

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Codex is a 40 year old woman who got discarded in favor of two girls in their twenties and now tells everyone about how tiny and limp her ex's dick is, while secretly longing for the good old days when they were young and loved each other. If the man ever shows up at her door with flowers and a sorry look on his face, she'll jump on his arms and kiss him with unbridled passion, for all is forgiven. At least until the man starts chasing skirts again...

Every once in a while they still hook up, call it ex-sex, and try to ignore the emotions. Then she cries, and he feels some guilt, but not enough to change his ways.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong

Well I just met InXile and Obsidian on a website. I hope they turn out to be nice guys~

Azalin

Arcane
Patron

Well I just met InXile and Obsidian on a website. I hope they turn out to be nice guys~

Kickstarter,the best dating site this side of the internet

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Well, it was definitely sloppy. However, before no one had tried to let you command an army against a ravaging horde
Wilderness Campaign. 1979.

I call Dragon Age's implementation an achievement because it must have been hard to do (compared to Kotor)
That's not what "achievement" means, again.

I've never composed music before. If I sit down right now and make something comparable to shitty 90s pop, I expect your adulation and one million dollars in cash for this achievement (compared to what I had previously composed).

You complain that he left anyway, but that's what a choice with consequence is supposed to be about. You can't have everything.
No, I'm complaining that, no matter what you do (you listed all of the factors and I've already gone through each), the outcome should you take Loghain is exactly the same. That is NOT what C&C should be about. If you harden him he strongarms his way into the monarchy regardless of whether you spare Loghain or not. If you spare Loghain he broods over your betrayal regardless of whether you hardened him or not. This is exactly what C&C should NOT be about.

Not sure what to say about your repudiation of the PC's charisma, since that's what you need to broker a marriage alliance anyway.
No, you just need to buy Alistair some gifts to get his reputation up, then harden him by picking a couple of supremely obvious dialogue choices. Or you can skip the second part entirely, at which point he'll give an emo teenager "didn't anyone think about what *I* wanted?" whine before going along with the marriage anyway. Yeah, quality C&C.

Well, there's what Roguey said.
Nothing that Roguey says is worth the time it takes to read it.

I would also point out that C&C (story or game) tends to invite accusations of superficiality regardless of what game you're playing. It's mostly a question of how far the player is willing to go to indulge the aspects of the C&C that don't hold water.
I'm usually willing to go pretty far, but "an achievement compared to KOTOR" and "but Roguey said" don't hold, sorry.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Well, it was definitely sloppy. However, before no one had tried to let you command an army against a ravaging horde
Wilderness Campaign. 1979.

I call Dragon Age's implementation an achievement because it must have been hard to do (compared to Kotor)
That's not what "achievement" means, again.

I've never composed music before. If I sit down right now and make something comparable to shitty 90s pop, I expect your adulation and one million dollars in cash for this achievement (compared to what I had previously composed).

You complain that he left anyway, but that's what a choice with consequence is supposed to be about. You can't have everything.
No, I'm complaining that, no matter what you do (you listed all of the factors and I've already gone through each), the outcome should you take Loghain is exactly the same. That is NOT what C&C should be about. If you harden him he strongarms his way into the monarchy regardless of whether you spare Loghain or not. If you spare Loghain he broods over your betrayal regardless of whether you hardened him or not. This is exactly what C&C should NOT be about.

Not sure what to say about your repudiation of the PC's charisma, since that's what you need to broker a marriage alliance anyway.
No, you just need to buy Alistair some gifts to get his reputation up, then harden him by picking a couple of supremely obvious dialogue choices. Or you can skip the second part entirely, at which point he'll give an emo teenager "didn't anyone think about what *I* wanted?" whine before going along with the marriage anyway. Yeah, quality C&C.

Well, there's what Roguey said.
Nothing that Roguey says is worth the time it takes to read it.

I would also point out that C&C (story or game) tends to invite accusations of superficiality regardless of what game you're playing. It's mostly a question of how far the player is willing to go to indulge the aspects of the C&C that don't hold water.
I'm usually willing to go pretty far, but "an achievement compared to KOTOR" and "but Roguey said" don't hold, sorry.

I'm not sure most of those objections work. Isn't Alistair seizing the throne (regardless of your wishes) if you harden him exactly the sort of consequence you would expect from a narrative that emphasizes reactivity? His new personality would require him to exercise agency independent of your plans for the monarchy.

And my citation of what "roguey said" was an effort to avoid treadmilling something that had already been said in the thread. Specifically, Roguey noted that the boss battles vary based on the sides you pick in different disputes. That's a point based in observation and logic. Whether Roguey said it or not has nothing to do with whether it is true or false.

Last edited:

Ninjerk

Arcane

nah they're PUAs trolling for that easy desperate coug pussy

Xor

Arcane
I'm not sure most of those objections work. Isn't Alistair seizing the throne (regardless of your wishes) if you harden him exactly the sort of consequence you would expect from a narrative that emphasizes reactivity? His new personality would require him to exercise agency independent of your plans for the monarchy.
C&C that only affects the ending slides isn't exactly new. Hell, it's not even new to Bioware games. And while I'm not saying it's a bad feature, Sceptic is obviously looking for C&C that actually affects the main narrative, which Dragon Age doesn't have.

CrustyBot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012

nah they're PUAs trolling for that easy desperate coug pussy

They may be in for a surprise in that regard.

:codexisforindividualswithgenderidentityissues:

CrustyBot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
http://forum.bioware.com/topic/501562-better-representation-of-sex-workers/

This is something I only recently noticed, but now that I have, it really bothers me.

Both main Dragon Age games, and I think at least two games in the Mass Effect series, allow the player to visit a brothel or strip club, and allow the player to solicit the services of a prostitute, or get a private dance. A lot of games do this, actually. Bioware aren't even the worst offenders. But I'm posting here because it seems like they are the most likely to listen to what I'm going to say.

Thing is, I have RL friends who work in the sex industry; prostitutes and strippers who also occasionally perform in live sex shows. But these people are not just sex workers, they are parents, they are students of medecine and law, they volunteer at homeless shelters and animal rescue organisations. Some of them are gamers, and yes, they even play Bioware games.

Because I have the privilege of knowing these individuals, I am privy to first-hand accounts of how exploitative and dangerous the sex industry can be, and I'm also aware of the stigma that surrounds people who try to leave the sex industry and get "legitimate" jobs.

Given the trend so far, I expect Inquisition is going to include a brothel. And maybe it's too late now for any changes to be made, but nevertheless, I am requesting that, going forward, Bioware consider humanising their prostitute and stripper characters (maybe include one as a party member?), and presenting a more nuanced, multifaceted and, above all, accurate view of the sex industry and its workers, rather than using it as an avenue for player titillation and cheap jokes.

ScottishMartialArts

:troll:

eremita

Savant

This is something I only recently noticed, but now that I have, it really bothers me.

Both main Dragon Age games, and I think at least two games in the Mass Effect series, allow the player to visit a brothel or strip club, and allow the player to solicit the services of a prostitute, or get a private dance. A lot of games do this, actually. Bioware aren't even the worst offenders. But I'm posting here because it seems like they are the most likely to listen to what I'm going to say.

Thing is, I have RL friends who work in the sex industry; prostitutes and strippers who also occasionally perform in live sex shows. But these people are not just sex workers, they are parents, they are students of medecine and law, they volunteer at homeless shelters and animal rescue organisations. Some of them are gamers, and yes, they even play Bioware games.

Because I have the privilege of knowing these individuals, I am privy to first-hand accounts of how exploitative and dangerous the sex industry can be, and I'm also aware of the stigma that surrounds people who try to leave the sex industry and get "legitimate" jobs.

Given the trend so far, I expect Inquisition is going to include a brothel. And maybe it's too late now for any changes to be made, but nevertheless, I am requesting that, going forward, Bioware consider humanising their prostitute and stripper characters (maybe include one as a party member?), and presenting a more nuanced, multifaceted and, above all, accurate view of the sex industry and its workers, rather than using it as an avenue for player titillation and cheap jokes.

ScottishMartialArts

Jesus fuck those losers! If someone gives you crap because you are/were whore/manwhore, take it like a man. "prostitutes and strippers who also occasionally perform in live sex shows. But these people are not just sex workers, they are parents, they are students of medecine and law, they volunteer at homeless shelters and animal rescue organisations." - :D This is the best. "Bioware consider humanising their prostitute and stripper characters (maybe include one as a party member?), and presenting a more nuanced, multifaceted and, above all, accurate view of the sex industry and its workers, rather than using it as an avenue for player titillation and cheap jokes" - Yeah, let's do that! Let's show how deep the whore is when she's not busy sucking dicks. :thumbsup:

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Mockingword, on 06 Apr 2014 - 3:44 PM, said:

Except that's not true at all? The sex industry is exploitative by nature, and "ensuring this line of business runs" also means making sure the prostitutes don't leave, even if they want to.

KingofMules said:
Surely you understand that as in many industries the pimp makes an investment when these sex industry professions are "hired" and given a respected in the pimp's company. When profit margins are as tight as they are currently the pimp must ensure that, at a minimum, he earns back the resources he has invested in these employees.

Honestly, as somebody looking for a more accurate representation of the sex industry I would have thought you to be more understanding of this industry and the negative commentary directed at such legitimate businessmen. The pimp is little different from the historical "madame", he just merely represents the modern industry where such gender constraints no longer apply to the CEOs of such businesses.

:lol: That guy is pretty good.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer

ScottishMartialArts

Jesus fuck those losers! If someone gives you crap because you are/were whore/manwhore, take it like a man. "prostitutes and strippers who also occasionally perform in live sex shows. But these people are not just sex workers, they are parents, they are students of medecine and law, they volunteer at homeless shelters and animal rescue organisations." - :D This is the best. "Bioware consider humanising their prostitute and stripper characters (maybe include one as a party member?), and presenting a more nuanced, multifaceted and, above all, accurate view of the sex industry and its workers, rather than using it as an avenue for player titillation and cheap jokes" - Yeah, let's do that! Let's show how deep the whore is when she's not busy sucking dicks. :thumbsup:
It doesn't seem like a bad idea to me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom