Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age: Inquisition Pre-Release Thread

set

Cipher
Looks like a hack'n'slash game. :(
Will probably play just like Origins and 2.

Have you played either recently? It will play nothing like DA:O and thankfully nothing like DA2 - save for the annoying default camera and spell targeting system (probably other things too, given by how awful those talent trees look).

Looks like a hack'n'slash game. :(

Welcome to 2011 BioWare.

Martius

Liturgist
Have you played either recently? It will play nothing like DA:O and thankfully nothing like DA2 - save for the annoying default camera and spell targeting system (probably other things too, given by how awful those talent trees look).
I finished 2 few months ago, I am replaying Origins. Of course there will be some tweaks but that wont in magic way change it to hack n slash or arpg. So far looks just like previous games, auto attack plus using spell/abilities and waiting cooldown to end..

set

Cipher
DA:O is very slow paced -- in its level design, its animations, and its feedback. That guy in the demo was basically doing a ME3 sprint through an entire level, smashing undead just like you might in DA2, only with real time actiony combat. DA:O never played with such tactileness (not to be mistaken w/ 'tactical'). DA2 is shaping up to be a hybrid of DA:O and DA3, the worst of both. Or maybe DA3 will be worst of all 3? It's going to be interesting how it plays in comparison to DA2, but even if you're optimistic, I think the only positive thing you'll be able to say is, "Wow, this world really is almost half the size of Baldur's Gate II." It seems like you'll be able to sprint you way through entire levels? At least you can skip combat, that's something that was sorely lacking in DA2. Though DA3 seems like it has some level of forced combat ("classic" BioWarian "weapon sheathes when combat ends" mechanics), I wouldn't be surprised if all the enemies you aggro rubber band ad infinitum like in DA2 and DA:O, following you with psychic affinity.

It might be the case BioWare is pulling a Sonic Team -- "Good games are fast! Nobody likes slow!" At least you can still pause the game, at least the camera looks better than it did in DA2. I wonder if there will be more tactical problems to surmount besides, "There are archers."

The only thing DA3 is missing is a dedicated potion button -- or did I miss it? It might be on the UI somewhere.

Meanwhile, during the PoE trailer, our player got slaughtered by a couple beetles. Seems like we have a clear winner here. If you like MW2 sprinting through an RPG and blindly distracting Frostbite particle effects, DA3 is for you.

Last edited:
Meanwhile, during the PoE trailer, our player got slaughtered by a couple beetles. Seems like we have a clear winner here. If you like MW2 sprinting through an RPG and blindly distracting Frostbite particle effects, DA3 is for you.
lol. PoE designer couldnt beat fucking wolves in fucking Arcanum while DA designers soloed their games on nightmare
:troll:

Martius

Liturgist
DA:O is very slow paced -- in its level design, its animations, and its feedback.
The only thing DA3 is missing is a dedicated potion button -- or did I miss it? It might be on the UI somewhere.
Of course, thats what I meant by saying tweaks. DA2 in theory is faster thanks to animations but hordes of enemies and numbers of encounters totally waste that change by making every fight even longer. In theory combination between two previous game could be good but who knows how it will work in practise. I guess we will have to wait for demo if they will even want to release it. I just cringe every time someone from Bioware call it arpg. If thats arpg then Origins is too since you can play with one characters and leave rest of them to pre set tactics.

From what I can remember its shown after pressing one of buttons (maybe bumper?) on circle with other various option. Since there wasnt any footage of keyboard ui I guess it would be somewhere in corner like in DA2.

Sprout

Educated
This sword design is ridiculous.

Huh. Methinks that's actually proper design, grounded in reality as it is. Not really imaginative of them, but it's probably a lot better than something they would have come up with by themselves.

sbb

Learned
990fd62ddeb4e79f4646bcfaf4baa6a9.png

????

WalmartJesus

Learned
^ Everyone knows that the future of Rpgs is shoehorning all the kewl memes and internet slang into your games along with Awesome Buttons and Teen Romance Novel story ..instead of well made mechanics, Reactive/meaningful C&C, and good writing and characters. Stop living in the past Grognard

eremita

Savant
DA:O is very slow paced -- in its level design, its animations, and its feedback. That guy in the demo was basically doing a ME3 sprint through an entire level, smashing undead just like you might in DA2, only with real time actiony combat. DA:O never played with such tactileness (not to be mistaken w/ 'tactical'). DA2 is shaping up to be a hybrid of DA:O and DA3, the worst of both. Or maybe DA3 will be worst of all 3? It's going to be interesting how it plays in comparison to DA2, but even if you're optimistic, I think the only positive thing you'll be able to say is, "Wow, this world really is almost half the size of Baldur's Gate II." It seems like you'll be able to sprint you way through entire levels? At least you can skip combat, that's something that was sorely lacking in DA2. Though DA3 seems like it has some level of forced combat ("classic" BioWarian "weapon sheathes when combat ends" mechanics), I wouldn't be surprised if all the enemies you aggro rubber band ad infinitum like in DA2 and DA:O, following you with psychic affinity.

It might be the case BioWare is pulling a Sonic Team -- "Good games are fast! Nobody likes slow!" At least you can still pause the game, at least the camera looks better than it did in DA2. I wonder if there will be more tactical problems to surmount besides, "There are archers."

Come on man, you're full of shit. You probably can't run through combat like that on higher difficulty, they set it on easy so they can show more footage. The combat video gave a look at the mechanics and they look more complex compared to previous titles. Now it's a matter of balance.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
^ Everyone knows that the future of Rpgs is shoehorning all the kewl memes and internet slang into your games along with Awesome Buttons and Teen Romance Novel story ..instead of well made mechanics, Reactive/meaningful C&C, and good writing and characters. Stop living in the past Grognard
They should learn from Larian though. I don't remember dialogues in D:OS having anything else than internet memes. HE MENTIONED THAT THING PEOPLE SAY ON 9GAG OH IT WAS SO FUNNY XD XDX D WOW LARIAN BEST 10/10

Trexrell44

Educated
I must say you guys are a tough crowd lol. It looks fun and the graphics in my opinion look pretty darn good despite what they could be. I kind of hope the battle system is a combination of Dragon Age Origins and II. I really hope they make warriors more imposing. I guess they figured more people would play a mages. I think it makes sense that way if you are able to cast magic. I have always wondered how warriors could even survive in a land where they could be frozen or cast on fire. I am going too far into it but it is always something I wondered about.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I must say you guys are a tough crowd lol. It looks fun and the graphics in my opinion look pretty darn good despite what they could be. I kind of hope the battle system is a combination of Dragon Age Origins and II. I really hope they make warriors more imposing. I guess they figured more people would play a mages. I think it makes sense that way if you are able to cast magic. I have always wondered how warriors could even survive in a land where they could be frozen or cast on fire. I am going too far into it but it is always something I wondered about.
I'll give you a hint how:
High fantasy makes no fucking sense whatsoever and is inconsistent even in basic things. This is also a heaven for lazy writers without any imagination and skill because they can put random dumb ideas out of their arses and it will fit perfectly in high fantasy.

It looks fun and the graphics in my opinion look pretty darn good despite what they could be.
Too bad graphics mean zilch when their design sucks consolite undropped balls. And the fact that they think all the blood and shitty browns make it totally gritty and mature amuses me most of all.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
OMG HAWKE: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/08/14/dragon-fights-and-spoilers-dragon-age-inquisition/

At around 1:36 these two fine folks show up.

bigspoilersmcgee.jpg

Say, that’s Hawke on the right! The second game’s main character is returning, Dragon Age creative director Mike Laidlaw has confirmed. Folks will be able to customise Hawke’s appearance and gender, he added. We don’t know what role she’ll be playing in the game though, so this could be a sidequest, the intro, or your best buddy and pal.

A bit giddy, some had assumed that the chap on the left there is yer Grey Warden protagonist from the first game, but no, it isn’t.

RPGMaster

Savant

There’s another article on shotgun today about how video games are closer to the music industry rather than film, and I think some good points are made, but DA: Origins really worked like a good David Lean film for me – of course the overarching story was epic and world-changing but the memories that stuck are about Leliana, Morrigan, the ever – wonderful Shale. Lean was the master of painting a huge pallette but populating it with unique characters you *cared* about, Origins did the same. The followup simply didn’t have the same writing and performances, but I hope they learned from that. LOTR style sequences with epic dragons, cursed mountaintops and tireless heroes gets old really fast. I will always remember the Origins party passing through a village with chickens running around, you hear a squawk, and they look back to Shale hiccuping a mouthful of feathers and shrugging.

That's it. I'm outta here.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom