Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age: Inquisition Pre-Release Thread

DraQ

Arcane
They should learn from Larian though. I don't remember dialogues in D:OS having anything else than internet memes. HE MENTIONED THAT THING PEOPLE SAY ON 9GAG OH IT WAS SO FUNNY XD XDX D WOW LARIAN BEST 10/10
The difference here is that Larian can funny.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
They should learn from Larian though. I don't remember dialogues in D:OS having anything else than internet memes. HE MENTIONED THAT THING PEOPLE SAY ON 9GAG OH IT WAS SO FUNNY XD XDX D WOW LARIAN BEST 10/10
The difference here is that Larian can funny.
No, not really. The jokes get old after half an hour, but you must cope with them for 60 hours...

WalmartJesus

Learned
^ Everyone knows that the future of Rpgs is shoehorning all the kewl memes and internet slang into your games along with Awesome Buttons and Teen Romance Novel story ..instead of well made mechanics, Reactive/meaningful C&C, and good writing and characters. Stop living in the past Grognard

That's all fine and dandy except for the fact ... that I never once claimed D:OS to be some flawless 10/10 masterpiece. Nor have I ever denied it having internet memes either (which I equally facepalmed/rolled my eyes over btw) Difference being though, despite D:OS's flaws and stupid shit like you mentioned ..the game is a great RPG ...where DA:I will just be a better made Dragon Age 2 with an open world and origins' customization. whether that's seen as enjoyable to people or not is irrelevant...

So maybe next time, you'll do some research the next time you wanna assume shit about people instead of being a Douchebag +M

Last edited:

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"The difference here is that Larian can funny."

What's funny about Larian is how delusional their fanboys are.

L0L look at all the stupid silly imps. Isn't that funny? HAHAHAHA! L0L... No.

"the game is a great RPG"

No. It's not a great RPG. It's a playable RPG with good (not great) combat that is easy and shit role-playing, shit story, shit writing. Yeah, EPIC 10/10 AWESOMESAUCE.

But,

No.

No.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
I must say you guys are a tough crowd lol. It looks fun and the graphics in my opinion look pretty darn good despite what they could be. I kind of hope the battle system is a combination of Dragon Age Origins and II.
youreafag.gif

I really hope they make warriors more imposing. I guess they figured more people would play a mages. I think it makes sense that way if you are able to cast magic. I have always wondered how warriors could even survive in a land where they could be frozen or cast on fire. I am going too far into it but it is always something I wondered about.
I'd like it if RPGs would focus on spellcaster gameplay and have warriors just be NPC classes. Unfortunately most people are idiots, and idiots don't want any tactics or planning - they just want to run up to stuff and hit it.

Lhynn

Arcane
I'd like it if RPGs would focus on spellcaster gameplay and have warriors just be NPC classes. Unfortunately most people are idiots, and idiots don't want any tactics or planning - they just want to run up to stuff and hit it.
If you really believe there is no depth to a warriors fighting style, then
youreafag.gif

There could be a lot of things you could do with a warrior to make it as interesting or more interesting to play than a wizard, especially a DA:O wizard, the equivalent of a monkey flinging shit at his enemies till they drop.

aris

Arcane
"The difference here is that Larian can funny."

What's funny about Larian is how delusional their fanboys are.

L0L look at all the stupid silly imps. Isn't that funny? HAHAHAHA! L0L... No.

"the game is a great RPG"

No. It's not a great RPG. It's a playable RPG with good (not great) combat that is easy and shit role-playing, shit story, shit writing. Yeah, EPIC 10/10 AWESOMESAUCE.

But,

No.

No.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
i thought you like bioware?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"i thought you like bioware?"

Like them so much I bought KOTOR OL. Oh yeah, I didn't. Oops. But, plenty of Codexers did.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I've thought for a while now that RPGs should make the PCs either mages or not mages and not let the player choose.

Either you're a powerful walking thrower of destruction, or you're a mundane forced to deal with them. Making a game that lets you be either is asking for trouble.

Lhynn

Arcane
I've thought for a while now that RPGs should make the PCs either mages or not mages and not let the player choose.

Either you're a powerful walking thrower of destruction, or you're a mundane forced to deal with them. Making a game that lets you be either is asking for trouble.
Why must a mage be a powerful walking thrower of destruction? Mages are meant to know things, to study them, they are smart and prepared individuals, their power doesnt come just from their magic, but from the fact that they can prepare themselves for anything that comes their way.
Why must the fighter be mundane? You have to think of the definition of a fighter in a world with magic. First, would he have access to relatively weak magic to counter true mages? a way of impeding spellcasting, disrupting it, dispeling it, deflecting it? a fighter is not a soldier, he can lack military training and still be learned on combat, their are men trained to react fast and efficiently to any threat, how would an unprepared spellcaster be able to face them, when by the time he starts making gestures theres a sword between his head and the rest of his body?

When you make an rpg there are many things to define, mages dont automatically get to be gods, or warriors need to stay shit by comparison. You have complete control over their progression curve, their skills, powers and limitations, and they can be both made in a coherent and believable way without falling on the trope of linear warriors and quadratic wizards.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Why must a mage be a powerful walking thrower of destruction? Mages are meant to know things, to study them, they are smart and prepared individuals, their power doesnt come just from their magic, but from the fact that they can prepare themselves for anything that comes their way.
Why must the fighter be mundane? You have to think of the definition of a fighter in a world with magic. First, would he have access to relatively weak magic to counter true mages? a way of impeding spellcasting, disrupting it, dispeling it, deflecting it? a fighter is not a soldier, he can lack military training and still be learned on combat, their are men trained to react fast and efficiently to any threat, how would an unprepared spellcaster be able to face them, when by the time he starts making gestures theres a sword between his head and the rest of his body?

When you make an rpg there are many things to define, mages dont automatically get to be gods, or warriors need to stay shit by comparison. You have complete control over their progression curve, their skills, powers and limitations, and they can be both made in a coherent and believable way without falling on the trope of linear warriors and quadratic wizards.
Indeed, it has always been a major immersion breaker for me in RPG : mages usually have supernatural abilities while fighters did not, yet both ended up "balanced" (which makes magic stupid if it ends up no more powerful than hitting things with a sword). But there is no reason for fighters not to have supernatural powers in the first place (except that it's the way Tolkien and DnD did this) :
The greek warrior heroes were demigods, while Siegurd became invincible after bathing in the blood of a dragon.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
So, you want to compare 'mortal' warriors to demi gods? FUCK OFF.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
I think he's saying that playable warriors should be the demigods, not mortals. This doesn't sound unreasonable - it would explain how they can take on hundreds of enemies and win, something most games don't bother with.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So, you want to compare 'mortal' warriors to demi gods? FUCK OFF.
ˈmôrtl/
adjective
  1. 1.
    (of a living human being, often in contrast to a divine being) subject to death.
Most Biowaran characters are not mortal according to this definition.
Achilles kill count was in the high hundreds indeed, which is on par with your usual DA:O main character.

Last edited:

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Larian is a small company and has limited resources to address most of your concerns, Volourn. Unlike Bioware, a AAA company blessed with all the resources they could ever want except for talent in both gameplay and writing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom