Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age: Inquisition Pre-Release Thread

pippin

Oh god. That moustache makes me cringe every time I see it. It's like it was drawn with a ballpoint pen, like the sort of thing you'd do when you're bored with a newspaper.

sbb

Learned
Primary issue I'm taking with the interface so far:
uMul5lz.png

The fuck kind of speech bubble is that? The space above her head is called Vivienne? Jesus christ!

dryan

Arcane
Some of these suggestions are pretty cool, like being able to kill your companions if they reject your sexual advances.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Haaaaaaaaaa, Bioware's trying some cargo cult strategic considerations. The PC UI only allows eight abilities at a time and you can't switch them out during combat. Of course nothing stops you from reloading to create a more-optimum set-up. Mage-playing Biodummies are extremely upset.

This feels to me like a superficial response to Pillars of Ecstasy. I don't know why they bother.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Haaaaaaaaaa, Bioware's trying some cargo cult strategic considerations. The PC UI only allows eight abilities at a time and you can't switch them out during combat.

Hah, what an unexpected homage to Vancian mechanics. And then there's the only-partial health regeneration thing. You should make a list of suspected PoE copycatting in this game.

eremita

Savant

Haaaaaaaaaa, Bioware's trying some cargo cult strategic considerations. The PC UI only allows eight abilities at a time and you can't switch them out during combat.

Heh, what an unexpected homage to Vancian mechanics. And then there's the only-partial health regeneration thing. You should make a list of suspected PoE copycatting in this game.

Copying? Really?! Just rename this shitty site to Obsidiancodex already... When did Obsidian created something worthy of copying other than story/ narrative related mechanics?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Copying? Really?! Just rename this shitty site to Obsidiancodex already... When did Obsidian created something worthy of copying other than story/ narrative related mechanics?
Bioware does not want to lose a chunk of its DA player-base to Pillars of Eternity; though they don't care about them that much, they're still sales. So they keep adding in these concessions, and hamstringing them so they don't hurt the largest chunk of their dummy core audience too much (since they don't want to lose them either).

eremita

Savant
BTW, where is it stated that those 8 abilities can't be changed during combat? That would actually be pretty cool.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
BTW, where is it stated that those 8 abilities can't be changed during combat? That would actually be pretty cool.
https://twitter.com/Mike_Laidlaw/status/505460398246481920
PC question 1: 8 Ability slots? A: Yes, per character. Changeable between combat.
https://twitter.com/Mike_Laidlaw/status/505466263116607488
Ability count clarity: DAI is about roles, planning ahead and making tactical decisions. Potions, ability choice, gear, party composition.
I recognize that not everyone will be happy with the change, but better to let you know about it now than a surprise later.

And bonus:
http://forum.bioware.com/topic/512591-first-look-at-the-pc-ui-for-dai/?bioware=1
This is part of the challenge of explaining things. Mike did explain it. The original implementation was actually more restrictive about where/when you could change your abilities.
Like I said, hamstringing.

eremita

Savant
https://twitter.com/Mike_Laidlaw/status/505460398246481920
PC question 1: 8 Ability slots? A: Yes, per character. Changeable between combat.
https://twitter.com/Mike_Laidlaw/status/505466263116607488
Ability count clarity: DAI is about roles, planning ahead and making tactical decisions. Potions, ability choice, gear, party composition.
I recognize that not everyone will be happy with the change, but better to let you know about it now than a surprise later.

And bonus:
http://forum.bioware.com/topic/512591-first-look-at-the-pc-ui-for-dai/?bioware=1
This is part of the challenge of explaining things. Mike did explain it. The original implementation was actually more restrictive about where/when you could change your abilities.
Like I said, hamstringing.
Well is it really hamstringing? I mean this is basically a "respec" option... Sawyer would approve...

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Hamstringing in the sense that their original idea forced more consideration (presumably only able to change abilities at your bases and maybe designated "rest" areas) and now it's like NWN/NWN2 resting without the healing or the additional annoyance of a meter. Considering how the biodummies are reacting to this idea, that would have really set them off. Granted, some of them are only mad because they're selective-simulationists.

With all the upgrades and passives, it'll probably really only be a factor in the mid-end game, which needs all the ~balance~ it can get.

imweasel

Epic chimpout in the DAI board on BSN over this in the solas thread.
"Solas is a racist and a homophobe; plz don't make the last love interest straight Biowarez plz plz"

Pretty much sums up the butthurt thread @BSN about this announcement.

Hepler's Vagina

Learned
Well, I'm confident - it's clear Laidlaw took all the right things away from DA2 feeedback:

Mike Laidlaw said:
When you look at the narrative that's formed around Dragon Age 2 in hindsight, I think you see that the biggest mistake was that it tried a lot of new things...The real negativity came from that, not that it was bad but that it was different and expectations were not met. They expected an apple pie and we gave them hamburger [helper?].

They're also making skills more aerodynamic:

Mike Laidlaw said:
in the original it was like "here are four dots and you can buy rank four after rank three". People were bored by that.

And confirmed as an action game:

Mike Laidlaw said:
They [enemies] also go faster on the higher difficulties. If a guy roars and holds his arm up for a couple beats on normal, on hard he just goes "wham!" and you need to be dodging as he lifts. You can't afford that wait.

Fullness here http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2014-08/29/dragon-age-inquisition-interview-2

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
That DA video/interview was awesome. Those dragon battles look sweet.

eremita

Savant
Well, theoretically they had the money to buy the best experts in the industry (Isn't there like more than a hundred people working on this?). I'm quite confident the gameplay should be polished...

Laidlaw: "The team was behind it. I know our lead combat programmer was very keen on it. We've got guys who worked on real-time strategy games who could tell you everything about top-down battle views."

I don't think this is a "one man show" like in case of Kickstarters...

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Bioware chose today's media frenzy over the new PoE patch to drop a triple bombshell:
- Blackwall is straight
- Cullen is not interested in Dwarves
- the black mage chick is asexual

1HqTReq.png

Last edited:

dryan

Arcane
Why do they give out so many spoilers? What the fuck is their problem?

Bioware chose today's media frenzy over the new PoE patch to drop a triple bombshell:
- Iron Bull is straight
- Cullen is not interested in Dwarves
- the black mage chick is asexual

1HqTReq.png
iron blob is bi
Here are our “core” romance options. They are available to players of any race, and fulfill our first design goal of providing multiple options to everyone:

• Cassandra is interested in male characters.
  • Blackwall is interested in female characters.
  • Josephine is interested in both male and female characters
  • Iron Bull is interested in both male and female characters
  • Sera is interested in female characters.
  • Dorian is interested in male characters.
Two “additional” romance options were added to the game as a result of the extra development time DA:I received. They are more limited in scope, largely for reasons directly related to their story arcs, but are otherwise the equal of the other options:

• Cullen is interested in female elves and female humans.
  • Solas is interested in female elves only.
This means that of our core cast, Varric, Vivienne, Cole, and Leliana are not romance options. While we know this may disappoint some fans who were interested in them, we don’t believe that they lose out, as each character engages in their own meaningful story.

also Bio could use some help from Sawyer. All those people bitching on BSN about lack of balance in romances:M
Why do they give out so many spoilers? What the fuck is their problem?
what spoilers? that gay looking guy with faggy mustache is actually a faggot?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom