Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age: Inquisition Pre-Release Thread

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
Sounds very Codexian. What's the problem?

PhantasmaNL

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria
Prepping for my role as a brutal death dealing Inquisitor i started a replay of DA2 (bargain bin). My reddialogoption bisexual mage is in an all mage party (well apart from meatshield Aveline), romancing Anders and Merrill.

Shockingly i found that there is an aspect of the game that is actually reasonably fun, the tactics. I dont remember them being so versatile and even allowing for great synergy or (i chose this one) pure insanity on the battlefield.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
BioWare%27s_take_on_Dead_Characters_coming_back_alive...jpg

Gaider said more about it, and went full retard later saying things that you only think you saw her dying but you never saw the body, etc. But I can't find it now.

To be honest it's actually a fault in Bioware not communicating properly what they want to do with DA series and people expecting cross-game CnC because of Mass Effect. I mean the same stuff happened in Baldur's Gate. All of your party members could die, you could recruit or not many characters, yet the game assumed that no party member died in BG 1, and your endgame party consisted of Imoen, Dynaheir, Minsc, Jaheira and Khalid. Since every game is selv-contained (each having different MC and stuff) it's not that wrong to not include cross-game CnC.

Avellion

Erudite
I see, so they completely ignored player actions again.

It was a game of hot potato where they always told fans, "Next game your choices will matter."

We'll see though. Mass Effect 3 and Dragon Age II didn't tank but word of mouth had a noticeably adverse effect on sales.

Depends on how much of the BioWare fanbase still exists (going by SWTOR, there is still a sizable fanbase). On another forum I visit, there is one remaining Biodrone who is so delusional, and claims that DA:I will be RPGgoty. Despite all the things DA:I has that are going against it. BioWare could take a dump in a box, and they would still hail it as the upcoming GOTY.

Now with BioWare's new LGBT fanbase, I fear this game will do well regardless of quality.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
To be honest it's actually a fault in Bioware not communicating properly what they want to do with DA series and people expecting cross-game CnC because of Mass Effect. I mean the same stuff happened in Baldur's Gate. All of your party members could die, you could recruit or not many characters, yet the game assumed that no party member died in BG 1, and your endgame party consisted of Imoen, Dynaheir, Minsc, Jaheira and Khalid. Since every game is selv-contained (each having different MC and stuff) it's not that wrong to not include cross-game CnC.
I agree that you definitely don't need to have C&C that carries over from the previous game, but they really shot themselves on the foot here for no reason. They already had their game take place in a different place with different characters and (from what I understand) made the story so that the events of DA:O could be just left in the background for flavor. There's nothing wrong with that, and it allows you to include save importing without having to make drastic changes to the story or the game world based on the player's choices in the first game, or at least have a self-contained story while keeping whatever the player did in the first game as canon. And then they go forward and include a fairly unimportant and possibly dead character from the previous game for no real reason whatsoever (I'm not counting fan (dis)service as a real reason), thus ruining any sense of continuity the game might've had otherwise. It's just an incredibly dumb thing to do.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Spiderweb does a much worse job transitioning the story and player choices from sequel to sequel. Look at geneforge or avadon, both series have several key moments where the players choice affects the game world, but you cant even import your save to the next game, the developers view of how things should be is always canon.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Well, either do it properly or don't do it at all. There's no problem with the devs deciding what's canon and rolling with it, making each game an independent whole. But if you include save importing or try to include the player's previous choices in the game in some other way, putting stuff in the game that goes against those choices makes the game just seem schizophrenic.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
Depends on how much of the BioWare fanbase still exists (going by SWTOR, there is still a sizable fanbase). On another forum I visit, there is one remaining Biodrone who is so delusional, and claims that DA:I will be RPGgoty. Despite all the things DA:I has that are going against it. BioWare could take a dump in a box, and they would still hail it as the upcoming GOTY.
SWTOR wasn't just for the Bioware fanbase - it also had the much larger Star Wars fanbase, and the mmorpg fanbase. It was also released before the Mass Effect 3 debacle, so Bioware only had one really bad game under its belt. And yet, the vast majority of SWTOR players still jumped ship after a couple months.

Now with BioWare's new LGBT fanbase, I fear this game will do well regardless of quality.
LGBT people only make up about 3.4 percent of the American population, and some of them will be rightfully offended by Bioware's obvious pandering and one-dimensional stereotypes.

DeepOcean

Arcane
All this talk about the special snowflakes at the BSN made me think it's high time we had another round of choice confessions. Therefore, I combed through the depths of tumblr & lost precious sanity points to bring you these gems

tumblr_n906cu0PNK1tuofuto1_500.png
One thing I will have for sure, when I have kids and have to put them on daycare, I will fucking wanna know if the teacher is a Biodrone. This is just so fucked up in so many levels that I don't know what to say.:lol:

Avellion

Erudite
LGBT people only make up about 3.4 percent of the American population, and some of them will be rightfully offended by Bioware's obvious pandering and one-dimensional stereotypes.
This is true, I know someone who is LGBT. And he is pretty damn unhappy of how BioWare is treating the whole situation. Pandering, poorly implemented stereotypes, and attempts at being white knighted by BioWare does offend him.

That said, if you look at BSN nowadays, the demand and interest for gay romances seem to far outweigh the demand/interest for straight romances.

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
This is true, I know someone who is LGBT. And he is pretty damn unhappy of how BioWare is treating the whole situation. Pandering, poorly implemented stereotypes, and attempts at being white knighted by BioWare does offend him.

That said, if you look at BSN nowadays, the demand and interest for gay romances seem to far outweigh the demand/interest for straight romances.

Biodrones seriously think that Bioware's gaysploitation in the form of low brow tacked on gay "romances" is a good portrayal of homosexuality/lesbianism, lmfao.

Then again, these same gaggle of morons think their portrayal of women is better than in other games,despite the fact that their female character designs are on par with Dead or Alive or Ninja Gaiden(meanwhile all those "dumb" "dudebro" shooters like Halo and Gears have women in proper gear).

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
You obviously didn't play DA2 which had a certain female soldier. She surely din't have her tits hanging out and mocked the PC if they tried to flirt with her. <>

Makes sense, considering game "romances" are for little girls and Bioware "RPGs" aren't that rad with straight ones as it is with mentally ill, given their content.

You obviously didn't play DA2 which had a certain female soldier. She surely din't have her tits hanging out and mocked the PC if they tried to flirt with her. <>
Well, on the one hand DA2 did have one Brienne of Tarth knock-off. On the other hand:

zqoXSQA.jpg

I find it hilarious that Biodrones often condemn the use of boob plate and boob window in armor, and then praise armor and clothing design in Dragon Age.

Caim

Arcane
And now you understand what queerbaiting is.

Avellion

Erudite
Biodrones seriously think that Bioware's gaysploitation in the form of low brow tacked on gay "romances" is a good portrayal of homosexuality/lesbianism, lmfao.

Then again, these same gaggle of morons think their portrayal of women is better than in other games,despite the fact that their female character designs are on par with Dead or Alive or Ninja Gaiden(meanwhile all those "dumb" "dudebro" shooters like Halo and Gears have women in proper gear).
Yup, they are completely clueless. I have been called a homophobe for calling BioWare out for their poor implementation of LGBT. Despite the fact htat I specifically discuss the poor writing, and also give examples of well written LGBT characters and praise the good writing on those characters.

And yes, I do find even the treatment of women in brodude shooters is more appropriate than BioWare games, at least in those women seem to exist for something other than a potential mate. And speaking of gears, I like to bring up following quote from the wiki to some feminists, the resulting reaction (read: massive butthurt) is usually hilarious.

"The Birthing Creche or Farms were a series of breeding farms where women were impregnated to help repopulate the Human race. Under the Fortification Act all males were placed in the Armed Services and women in "war work". Some women could choose (or be forced) to go to the farms. Women who were impregnated were given extra rations over a non serving male. Doctors gave girls hormones at age ten so they could begin menstruation and were able to be impregnated. Many barren girls were abused in the farms and most of them left traumatized, like Molly."

kris

Arcane

They are just the most vocal. Kind of how like 50%+ of posts on the codex about DA:I is about romances, despite that being a small part of the game.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
The few homo people I know irl that actually have played any of the "LGBT" bio games, just don't really give a fuck and agree they're just poor games for loads of other reasons. I think the % of LGBT people who actually gives a shit about how LGBT are portrayed in games is very very slim, and a classic case of "vocal minority": they're the only one who actually bother writing on the internet about it.

Just like non-LGBT people, and everyone else who's not a retard and whom I classify as a "normal person", actually has an absolutely "normal" love/sex life and doesn't give a shit about romances, sexuality or that kind of shit in vydyogames. This latter group of people, if anything, might be mildly annoyed that the developer wasted time and effort on such trivialities rather than on more important aspect of the game (gameplay, level design, plot, etc). But in the end, it's more of a don't give shit stance.

Tl;dr version:

fieldoffucksbarren.jpg

dryan

Arcane
U6QEwjZl.jpg

:hmmm: Please tell me that is a mod.. I don't remember her wearing that.. in Dragon Age 2.. Actually I don't remember anything from Dragon Age 2 except pain and sadness.

She only wears that in the sex scene, it's a cherry picked photo to make her character seem objectified, when in reality her armor doesn't reveal anything.

pippin

Her body proportions freak me out. In DAO she looked more like an actual person and not an anime pixie.
Relevant?
10632733_711925995564457_7534933408631215605_n.jpg

Tytus

Arcane
To be the devils advocate here I have nothing against the concept of romance in computer games, but I wish there would one (maximum two in some games, if you include female pc). So the romance would be really long and also had influence on the plot. For example let's take Mass Effect. The only availabe romance interest for the entire series should be Liara. In the first game she was connected to Shepard by helping him understand the Prothean visions, she was connected to the villains by being Benezia's daughter, she was connected to overarching plot by being an archaeologist and knowing about the Reapers. Romance with her should've been long, complex and for example give you additional info about her, about Benezia etc. Characters around like Udina who don't like aliens should react different to Shepard who is fucking alien girl and different to the Shepard that isn't. Maybe even because they are romancing each other and have a tighter bond, Liara could read the Prothean code faster, etc. But it also should have some down sides. Like Ashley questioning your leadership (first prothean shit in your brain, now an alien in your pants). Or because T'soni is so personally involved it could also cloud her judgment. Making her make mistakes when reading the Prothean code and sending you on an additional quest that reveals itself to be a wild goose chase.

I really wish Bioware would get their shit together and make romance storyline that is actually believable, long and complex if they insist on having them and not "Hi - I like your hair - tell me about your tragic past - let me help you with one thing - ok let's have sex - we are deeply in love now".

Last edited:

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
To be the devils advocate here I have nothing against the concept of romance in computer games, but I wish there would one (maximum two in some games, if you include female pc). So the romance would be really long and also had influence on the plot.

I think this is maybe why many normal people (non-biodrones) dislike the romance in these games.. they feel like cheap shills that add nothing to the game except some cringe worthy dialogue and cinematics.. (I would hate to the be the 3D Animator who has to make romance cinematics for any of these games)

However, once you have one romance.. the obvious response is SJW fighting for L/G/B/T romances of equal amount and on top of that, all the other crazy crap people want that has been beaten to death in this thread. I don't think I would even mind a gay / lesbian romance as being the only one or one of the two.. I just hate that they have to hit the check list to appeal to every minority no matter what weird fetish they have as long as they represent a demographic worth money to EA.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom