Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age: Inquisition Pre-Release Thread

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
What I find curious/amusing regarding such vocal demands for LGBT mances is how there's a (near?)complete absence for demanding waifus of a certain (human)race or ethnicity. From what I've seen, there isn't much of a vocal outcry over the fact that Vivienne(the negress) can't be 'manced; In fact I've seen people being more vocal about wanting a female qunari to bang than her in the past(Lol).

So yeah, it's mainly a vocal minority of self-centered yuri/yaoi sexual degenerates running amok on there.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Doom had the best romances.

All of them were tragic, though.

Personally I thought that shotgun romance was decently happy, but it had hint of tradegy.
The shotgun romance was indeed the best.

Other worthy contenders:

Kq2SCQG.gif

J0SU4Rs.gif

UC8Bz7j.gif

hcQP9tg.gif

042tlRq.gif

pippin

To be the devils advocate here I have nothing against the concept of romance in computer games, but I wish there would one (maximum two in some games, if you include female pc). So the romance would be really long and also had influence on the plot.

I think this is maybe why many normal people (non-biodrones) dislike the romance in these games.. they feel like cheap shills that add nothing to the game except some cringe worthy dialogue and cinematics.. (I would hate to the be the 3D Animator who has to make romance cinematics for any of these games)

Not only that, romances in Bioware games (or at least the ones I've played) effectively interrupt gameplay. It is very annoying to have to stop what you are doing to hear some whiny emo girl about her wings being clipped and etc. That's why romances feel dissasociated from the games.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
To be the devils advocate here I have nothing against the concept of romance in computer games, but I wish there would one (maximum two in some games, if you include female pc). So the romance would be really long and also had influence on the plot.

I think this is maybe why many normal people (non-biodrones) dislike the romance in these games.. they feel like cheap shills that add nothing to the game except some cringe worthy dialogue and cinematics.. (I would hate to the be the 3D Animator who has to make romance cinematics for any of these games)

Not only that, romances in Bioware games (or at least the ones I've played) effectively interrupt gameplay. It is very annoying to have to stop what you are doing to hear some whiny emo girl about her wings being clipped and etc. That's why romances feel dissasociated from the games.

Oh yea you nailed it on the head there.. The whole "If I don't have gay sex with this companion they will dislike me" or "Here is some whiny sub plot for a companion that was clearly written by someone who had no input or knowledge of the main plot of the game".

The romances and companion dialogue always feels disassociated and disconnected from the main game. I think the only exception in DA:O might be Morrigan. As Juvenile as her romance and character archetype might be.. Her motives, romance and personality play into the main game with the dark spawn and Flemeth. I actually sorta like the final conversation with her..

Where if your a female character and you are romantically invested into her.. You have to make the call of letting her have sex with Alistair in order to avoid having you or Alistair die.. But then that might hurt because you love her and you know shes gonna be sharing herself with someone else..

I know this gives Bioware way too much credit but if they had worked a little harder that could have been an amazing C&C.. It did end up shallow and crappy and was a wasted opportunity basically in the end.. so don't think I am sucking Bio off too much.

Of course DA 2 and the shitty cash out DLC ruined that story completely.

imweasel

It is very annoying to have to stop what you are doing to hear some whiny emo girl about her wings being clipped and etc. That's why romances feel dissasociated from the games.
Then don't ask Aerie about her past if you think her background story is boring and annoying. Duh. Not to mention that it isn't even a romance option, the romance options come later.

:M

I thought romance in BG2 was very well done. Probably the only game I know of where it is even good too.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Where if your a female character and you are romantically invested into her.. You have to make the call of letting her have sex with Alistair in order to avoid having you or Alistair die.. But then that might hurt because you love her and you know shes gonna be sharing herself with someone else..

:nocountryforshitposters:

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space

I mean from a story telling perspective.. :(

EDIT:
I laughed my as off.. I could picture you giving me that facial expression after how I worded it.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
To be the devils advocate here I have nothing against the concept of romance in computer games, but I wish there would one (maximum two in some games, if you include female pc). So the romance would be really long and also had influence on the plot. For example let's take Mass Effect. The only availabe romance interest for the entire series should be Liara. In the first game she was connected to Shepard by helping him understand the Prothean visions, she was connected to the villains by being Benezia's daughter, she was connected to overarching plot by being an archaeologist and knowing about the Reapers. Romance with her should've been long, complex and for example give you additional info about her, about Benezia etc. Characters around like Udina who don't like aliens should react different to Shepard who is fucking alien girl and different to the Shepard that isn't. Maybe even because they are romancing each other and have a tighter bond, Liara could read the Prothean code faster, etc. But it also should have some down sides. Like Ashley questioning your leadership (first prothean shit in your brain, now an alien in your pants). Or because T'soni is so personally involved it could also cloud her judgment. Making her make mistakes when reading the Prothean code and sending you on an additional quest that reveals itself to be a wild goose chase.

I really wish Bioware would get their shit together and make romance storyline that is actually believable, long and complex if they insist on having them and not "Hi - I like your hair - tell me about your tragic past - let me help you with one thing - ok let's have sex - we are deeply in love now".

I sort of agree. The idea of romance in a game is absolutely fine, as long as it's well-integrated and part of the storyline. Like it happens in books and movies, there can be romance along the way of a great adventure. TW2 delivered a half-assed attempt at that, making you choose between personal goals (pussy) and the wider interests (kingdom). Of course the "love" bits still were sorta awkward and not really a driving force in the storyline's progression, but at least they didn't feel as much as an optional and irrelevant minigame as they do in ME/DA. Cutting the numbers of options down to 1 per gender would sorta help in that respect, as they could integrate that one love story into the wider storyline. But alas, as long as they try to please, cater to and pander their current audience, I don't really see that happening anytime soon.

Tytus

Arcane

EDIT:
I laughed my as off.. I could picture you giving me that facial expression after how I worded it.

EDIT:

Are you a reddit user or something? Because you sure sound like a retarded redditor.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space

EDIT:

EDIT:

Are you a reddit user or something? Because you sure sound like a retarded redditor.

Nope, Don't have a reddit account.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Even Dawn of War - damn real-time strategy - handled resurrecting characters in sequels better than biowhore mediocre writers. They ignored the main rule of Stephen King - "always learn". They are stuck in a time of their former glory - after initial success they stagnated and became stale, while other young and ambitious writers advanced on their positions. And mediocricies tend to surround themselves with mediocricies, hence overwhelming fag and biodrone population. I still remember BSN banning sprees of people who posted even smallest criticisms. They were present before, but after DA2 debacle reached their peak, completely purging already degenerade forums of any sane members. The resulting fagfest is the logical result of a bioware community handling.
So let's enjoy their demise.

Caim

Arcane
To be the devils advocate here I have nothing against the concept of romance in computer games, but I wish there would one (maximum two in some games, if you include female pc). So the romance would be really long and also had influence on the plot. For example let's take Mass Effect. The only availabe romance interest for the entire series should be Liara. In the first game she was connected to Shepard by helping him understand the Prothean visions, she was connected to the villains by being Benezia's daughter, she was connected to overarching plot by being an archaeologist and knowing about the Reapers. Romance with her should've been long, complex and for example give you additional info about her, about Benezia etc. Characters around like Udina who don't like aliens should react different to Shepard who is fucking alien girl and different to the Shepard that isn't. Maybe even because they are romancing each other and have a tighter bond, Liara could read the Prothean code faster, etc. But it also should have some down sides. Like Ashley questioning your leadership (first prothean shit in your brain, now an alien in your pants). Or because T'soni is so personally involved it could also cloud her judgment. Making her make mistakes when reading the Prothean code and sending you on an additional quest that reveals itself to be a wild goose chase.

I really wish Bioware would get their shit together and make romance storyline that is actually believable, long and complex if they insist on having them and not "Hi - I like your hair - tell me about your tragic past - let me help you with one thing - ok let's have sex - we are deeply in love now".
I sort of agree. The idea of romance in a game is absolutely fine, as long as it's well-integrated and part of the storyline. Like it happens in books and movies, there can be romance along the way of a great adventure. TW2 delivered a half-assed attempt at that, making you choose between personal goals (pussy) and the wider interests (kingdom). Of course the "love" bits still were sorta awkward and not really a driving force in the storyline's progression, but at least they didn't feel as much as an optional and irrelevant minigame as they do in ME/DA. Cutting the numbers of options down to 1 per gender would sorta help in that respect, as they could integrate that one love story into the wider storyline. But alas, as long as they try to please, cater to and pander their current audience, I don't really see that happening anytime soon.
This sounds good, but it's a lot of work and Bioware's not going to do that. The alternative would be to make the actual romances more interesting.

For example, your party includes a female cleric of the local love goddess, your best bro who is member of the king's guard and has been send alongside you and an elven widow who is easily four times your age. Every time you hit a town the cleric and the guard spend some time in a room of a local in together, and both refuse to talk about what they do. But what if you have the hots for the cleric too? Or what if you're playing a woman and try to hit on the guard? And what if you hear a rumor in the starting town that the guard spend a good part of his wages as donations to the temple of the love goddess so that he could spend some time with that particular cleric? Would you even try to hit on him? Would you even be wanting her? And what if one day, playing as a female PC, you catch the guard coming out of a barn with the PC's brother in tow, and both look very flustered? How would this affect your interaction with the guard? Would you be mad for betraying your trust?

And now about the elf woman. Say that you've managed to woo her and one day when you're walking around town and you run into her son, who is quite a bit older than the PC. How would you react to being (and have your elven lady be) called out for this? What if he were to demand that the two of you break up (perhaps stemming from not quite being over the death of his father)? Would you make it a son-or-lover situation? Or try to talk some sense into the guy? Sure, Bioware had Liara being about three times Shepard's age, but that's not really exploring having different ages between characters.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Where if your a female character and you are romantically invested into her.. You have to make the call of letting her have sex with Alistair in order to avoid having you or Alistair die.. But then that might hurt because you love her and you know shes gonna be sharing herself with someone else..

I know this gives Bioware way too much credit but if they had worked a little harder that could have been an amazing C&C.. It did end up shallow and crappy and was a wasted opportunity basically in the end.. so don't think I am sucking Bio off too much."

Last I checked, Morrigan isn't bisexual...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom