Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Dragon Age: Inquisition Thread

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Ages ago. It's strange that you cannot find a torrent.
I did later find one on TorrentHound that looked real. On KAT there were only a crack but no game. I know KAT removes some torrents due to takedown requests, maybe EA's been hounding them.

I've read that Batman: Arkham Knight also uses Denuvo, I don't know if it's true. It's been 3 weeks and I couldn't find a torrent on KAT or TPB - although again, KAT may have taken them down and I'm not sure how alive TPB is these days. It's not like I search feverishly when I don't even want to download the damn thing.

I'm not looking to download this game either, I've already put 50 hours in it on Steam. I'm just curious about the copy protection. I was thinking that, if I hadn't pre-ordered Arkham Knight I would most likely not have bought it after reading about the disastrous PC port. And when Cocksteady says they've fixed the game, I would most likely pirate it first to see if they're telling the truth or not. So I was thinking, "how long will it take until a working torrent is released? How long did it take with Dragon Age Inquisition?". Which might be moot if it turns out Arkham Knight didn't use Denuvo after all.

Anyway, just some dumb little pondering I did. Move along, move along.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Origin now offers a trial version of Dragon Age Inquisition, which includes unlimited access to multi-player mode (making it essentially free-to-play) and six hours of single-player campaign.

Infinitron

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Delete that post before you get reprimanded, chummer.

Hellwalker

Animmal
Developer
This game is bad at every possible level. I can't understand how this got good reviews. (No cynicism)
Everything is broken in this game. The only people who seemed to have given any effort at all when making this game, were level designers in charge of exploration. But their cause was inherently hopeless. They had no chance to salvage badly designed MMO into a single player RPG.

By celebrating this thing as masterpiece gaming has gone down to the level of modern pop music industry.
Basically same politics of having to sell something to the public and having to promote whatever is available.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Origin now offers a trial version of Dragon Age Inquisition, which includes unlimited access to multi-player mode (making it essentially free-to-play) and six hours of single-player campaign.

Infinitron

Is multiplayer worth it, though? Unlike ME3's which was apparently a somewhat decent horde mode and managed to surprise everyone, I haven't heard anything about DAI's multiplayer.

Last edited:

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin

Infinitron

Is multiplayer worth it, though? Unlike ME3's which was apparently a somewhat decent horde mode and managed to surprise everyone, I haven't heard anything about DAI's multiplayer.

"We do not speak of the multiplayer that has no reason to exist," Taylor Swift

Thane Solus

Arcane
so, i kinda like it, i dont mind the mmo thing style, the first map its full of things to do, and its pretty neat, BUT!

The worst lighting and armor design in a game,i swear man, how can spend how many millions dollars and cannot into modelling, concept art and rendering, its mind blowing. No! Its EA/Bioware! Check out my shiny mustache and armor, it glows, its shiny it must be good! GOTY!

Combat is mediocre at best, but it works. These days all action rpgs, have shitty combat, including Twitcher... Last time i played a good third person combat, was in mount and blade warband, even that one wasn't polished, but still IS miles away from these garbage triple AAA games. It wants to action but also tactical, and it fails at both.

Check out the inventory, oh wait Dark Souls players are immune to shity controls, menus and gui, i guess this is the new standard.

Most likely will finish it if it continues to give me stuff to do, unless something horrible happens along the lines, will see after the first big map. Much better thant DA II (so is a pile of shit), it gives you more content thatn DA I, but i am not sure i cant say its better, but at least is not composed of 5 corridor maps...

So far 7/10

Bumvelcrow

Somewhat interesting
Patron
Dumbfuck
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Strap Yourselves In
Combat is mediocre at best, but it works. These days all action rpgs, have shitty combat, including Twitcher...

Not a glowing commentary on an action RPG where combat is the focus of the game.

Most likely will finish it if it continues to give me stuff to do

Read a book, listen to music. Go for a walk. You don't need to keep playing it just because there are activities remaining.

So far 7/10

You know there are numbers below 5, right?

But overall, good review, well thought out. I'd give that an 8/10. Oh hell, lets make it 9/10 and you can owe me.

Thane Solus

Arcane
Combat is mediocre at best, but it works. These days all action rpgs, have shitty combat, including Twitcher...

Not a glowing commentary on an action RPG where combat is the focus of the game.

Most likely will finish it if it continues to give me stuff to do

Read a book, listen to music. Go for a walk. You don't need to keep playing it just because there are activities remaining.

So far 7/10

You know there are numbers below 5, right?

But overall, good review, well thought out. I'd give that an 8/10. Oh hell, lets make it 9/10 and you can owe me.

Easy now on that EDGE:))) I said so far :) And ofcourse after another 6 hours, i almost finish the first map, i gave up and went back to POE.

The combat, the shiny armors, the characters, the fucking inventory/ui got me in the end...

Bioware/10 wont play again.

Also, i want to say FUCK YOU to all youtubers that praised this game.

Thane Solus

Arcane
Also, i want to say FUCK YOU to all retard journos that praised this game.

No mate, in the last 10 years, i never toke a journo impression for real, i rarely read them anymore, i was talking about middle youtubers that should know better. And most of them they didnt even receive the press copy.

But ofcourse if you look, very few of the prestigious middle youtubers(which most of us like to a certain point), even talked about the twicher combat(press X for awesome, oh and is this assasins creed?), while praising it 10/10 Potato Goty.

darthaegis

Cipher
Also, i want to say FUCK YOU to all retard journos that praised this game.

No mate, in the last 10 years, i never toke a journo impression for real, i rarely read them anymore, i was talking about middle youtubers that should know better. And most of them they didnt even receive the press copy.

But ofcourse if you look, very few of the prestigious middle youtubers(which most of us like to a certain point), even talked about the twicher combat(press X for awesome, oh and is this assasins creed?), while praising it 10/10 Potato Goty.
Yeah, unfortunately I actually took the word of journos before I bought this game. Of course, after buying and feeling both severe disappointment and rage with this turd, I happened to find the codex, where the people writing reviews (most of the times) analyze a game pretty well and aren't paid shills/SJW dumbfucks. Now I mostly go to mainstream sites just to see what's happening with non-RPGs.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
went back to POE..

FRsK7E.gif

eremita

Savant
So I'm playing this weird game. It seems the design philosophy went like this: We have main story, full cinematic experience with choices, twists and all that shit. But we also have open world now so we don't want our players to go from one cutscene to another, but force them to fuck around until they unlock another part of main story. These activities between story parts should be diverse enough and should encourage exploration. So far, I'm ok with this, it seems like a reasonable concept. But this is where it gets fucking bananas: Instead of handfully crafted activities, let's make fucking hundreds of them, let's celebrate the meaning of a word "filler". And the idea is that the player's not gonna do them all, rather, he's gonna fuck around with whatever he's interested in, be it colletibles, fetch quests, closing rifts or solving easy puzzles. The positive fact is that you really just have to do few of them to unlock next story bit. Thus Laidlaw and other devs shouting at completionists bitching on the internet that they should not linger in Hinterlands for too long. This is the first time I heard developer encouraging players NOT to play the content of his game. How fucking retarded is that? The effect of banal filler is this: The player is not encouraged to explore because he knows there's no meaningful action on those giant maps (which is established as a fact very quickly), that there's probably not a single fucking place worth visiting, because not matter how beautiful the areas are, it's like the game is made by a fucking generator. You're not gonna find some epic gear because that would break the fucking balance (so anything worthwhile is level restricted or useless after few more levels - fucking MMO design at its best), all you're gonna find are more fetch quests and collectibles. Of course, this is not a problem for Assassin's Creed lovers and other pathetic cunts with gambling problem, who think grinding FOR THE SAKE OF GRINDING is time well spent (I hate those people with passion). Really, it's like a fucking robot made that game, Asperger following a concept. Here is your area, place fetch quests here, collectibles here, figure out the logistics so one quest leads to different part of the area so there's no blank spot. Literally nothing is handcrafted. What would Laidlaw's defense be like? I imagine something about choice - when you hate this Ubisoft-like fucking around, just skip it and do the Main story/Companion quests instead (which is possible to be fair) - there's shitton of content!. But that's an incomprehension of the fundamental problem here; the side content and exploration are banal shit boring and you made your player aware that this is the case for the enirety of your game.

Now I'm pretty sure the devs would like to fill their game with complex quests but were simply not allowed because time/money constraints/engine changes etc. My assumption is simply based on common sense, because NO desginer could possibly enjoy making content like this. There's nothing creative about it. They did it because it's easy to implement and cut out if needed (time, money constraints).

Well, I'm not far in the game, but I don't think there's gonna be much changes...

Witcher 3 is better so far because its side content is handcrafted, Skyrim has better exploration because it's handcrafted, that much is clear now.

darthaegis

Cipher
So I'm playing this weird game. It seems the design philosophy went like this: We have main story, full cinematic experience with choices, twists and all that shit. But we also have open world now so we don't want our players to go from one cutscene to another, but force them to fuck around until they unlock another part of main story. These activities between story parts should be diverse enough and should encourage exploration. So far, I'm ok with this, it seems like a reasonable concept. But this is where it gets fucking bananas: Instead of handfully crafted activities, let's make fucking hundreds of them, let's celebrate the meaning of a word "filler". And the idea is that the player's not gonna do them all, rather, he's gonna fuck around with whatever he's interested in, be it colletibles, fetch quests, closing rifts or solving easy puzzles. The positive fact is that you really just have to do few of them to unlock next story bit. Thus Laidlaw and other devs shouting at completionists bitching on the internet that they should not linger in Hinterlands for too long. This is the first time I heard developer encouraging players NOT to play the content of his game. How fucking retarded is that? The effect of banal filler is this: The player is not encouraged to explore because he knows there's no meaningful action on those giant maps (which is established as a fact very quickly), that there's probably not a single fucking place worth visiting, because not matter how beautiful the areas are, it's like the game is made by a fucking generator. You're not gonna find some epic gear because that would break the fucking balance (so anything worthwhile is level restricted or useless after few more levels - fucking MMO design at its best), all you're gonna find are more fetch quests and collectibles. Of course, this is not a problem for Assassin's Creed lovers and other pathetic cunts with gambling problem, who think grinding FOR THE SAKE OF GRINDING is time well spent (I hate those people with passion). Really, it's like a fucking robot made that game, Asperger following a concept. Here is your area, place fetch quests here, collectibles here, figure out the logistics so one quest leads to different part of the area so there's no blank spot. Literally nothing is handcrafted. What would Laidlaw's defense be like? I imagine something about choice - when you hate this Ubisoft-like fucking around, just skip it and do the Main story/Companion quests instead (which is possible to be fair) - there's shitton of content!. But that's an incomprehension of the fundamental problem here; the side content and exploration are banal shit boring and you made your player aware that this is the case for the enirety of your game.

Now I'm pretty sure the devs would like to fill their game with complex quests but were simply not allowed because time/money constraints/engine changes etc. My assumption is simply based on common sense, because NO desginer could possibly enjoy making content like this. There's nothing creative about it. They did it because it's easy to implement and cut out if needed (time, money constraints).

Well, I'm not far in the game, but I don't think there's gonna be much changes...

Witcher 3 is better so far because its side content is handcrafted, Skyrim has better exploration because it's handcrafted, that much is clear now.
Well, IIRC they had 3,5 years and 100mil$.
EDIT: Also, it's pretty hard to do only main quest content only, and even the main quest is pretty shitty.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
What would Laidlaw's defense be like? I imagine something about choice - when you hate this Ubisoft-like fucking around, just skip it and do the Main story/Companion quests instead (which is possible to be fair) - there's shitton of content!. But that's an incomprehension of the fundamental problem here; the side content and exploration are banal shit boring and you made your player aware that this is the case for the enirety of your game.

Actually, you can't progress solely through the main story because there's gating in form of Power points you need to unlock further stages of the main story. You will have to do those meaningless and boring side activities to advance the story, let alone if you actually want to open up new areas to explore, at least until you unlock the ability to straight up BUY Influence and Power which begs the question why even make them so integral to entire game structure. And let's not forget about those absolutely wonderful War Table missions with real-time timers. Just, why?

eremita

Savant
EDIT: Also, it's pretty hard to do only main quest content only, and even the main quest is pretty shitty.
The point is, the main story missions have all the features you expect from AAA Bioware game, no matter whether it's shit or not. The side content is just a busy work - cheap and easy to implement. I just don't fucking get it, if it's not about money and time. Players don't enjoy this, devs definitely can't enjoy "crafting" those either, nobody fucking wins except for suits. Or am I missing something? Sure, we could always say they're hacks and be done with it, but you have to be fucking retarded to WANT to design things this way... I don't buy it.
Actually, you can't progress solely through the main story because there's gating in form of Power points you need to unlock further stages of the main story. You will have to do those meaningless and boring side activities to advance the story, let alone if you actually want to open up new areas to explore, at least until you unlock the ability to straight up BUY Influence and Power which begs the question why even make them so integral to entire game structure. And let's not forget about those absolutely wonderful War Table missions with real-time timers. Just, why?
As I said, you don't have to do much of them to open next story bits. I did three quest, closed few Rifts and had enough power to advnace - 90% of the area left untouched... Oh and the War Table missions... Interesting idea but also executed poorly. It stinks like cheap and easy addition - same as the side content.

Last edited:

darthaegis

Cipher
The point is, the main story missions have all the features you expect from AAA Bioware game, no matter whether it's shit or not. The side content is just a busy work - cheap and easy to implement. I just don't fucking get it, if it's not about money and time. Players don't enjoy this, devs definitely can't enjoy "crafting" those either, nobody fucking wins except for suits. Or am I missing something? Sure, we could always say they're hacks and be done with it, but you have to be fucking retarded to WANT to design things this way... I don't buy it.
I'm not defending their side quest design. The most likely result for the shitty quest design in DA:I is that it was originally a Dragon Age MMO.
As I said, you don't have to do much of them to open next story bits. I did three quest, closed few Rifts and had enough power to advnace - 90% of the area left untouched... Oh and the War Table missions... Interesting idea but also executed poorly. It stinks like cheap and easy addition - same as the side content.
er... How far are you in the game?

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm not defending their side quest design. The most likely result for the shitty quest design in DA:I is that it was originally a Dragon Age MMO.

iirc, the engine was originally meant for a Dragon Age MMO but the whole MMO part was scrapped very early in development. The shitty side content is bizarre -- at one point it looked like they had decent side stuff (someone in this thread posted an article showing a lot of the shit they cut, all of which looked a lot better than what we got) but at some point in development they cut most of it and replaced it with the shitty MMO quests. I think something went really wrong during development and I'm actually a bit curious as to what it was.

darthaegis

Cipher

iirc, the engine was originally meant for a Dragon Age MMO but the whole MMO part was scrapped very early in development. The shitty side content is bizarre -- at one point it looked like they had decent side stuff (someone in this thread posted an article showing a lot of the shit they cut, all of which looked a lot better than what we got) but at some point in development they cut most of it and replaced it with the shitty MMO quests. I think something went really wrong during development and I'm actually a bit curious as to what it was.
Yeah, I saw that video. It actually had C&C! and lots of interactivity with the world. ffs what must have happened to have such a big change...

eremita

Savant
er... How far are you in the game?
Just arrived in Val Royeaux, level 6 or 7. Holy Shit, bro don't tell me they're gonna force me to grind, because if that's the case, I'm gonna quit right one...

eremita

Savant

Me too, mostly because the answer would determine whether they got unlucky or are just a bunch of talentless hacks...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom