Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Dragon Age: Inquisition Thread

darthaegis

Cipher
Just arrived in Val Royeaux, level 6 or 7. Holy Shit, bro don't tell me they're gonna force me to grind, because if that's the case, I'm gonna quit right one...
I assume at that stage you need like 15 power to do main quests...
It should double to 30. But don't worry there's like 9 main quests and one of them is 15minutes of cutscenes (no seriously.)
But yeah, let the grind begin.
Also, I wonder when my popamoler friend will realise the game is shit. He was saying some shit like "It's almost like art, and if you hated the side quests and only did the main quests maybe it's not the game for you" :whatho:

eremita

Savant
Just arrived in Val Royeaux, level 6 or 7. Holy Shit, bro don't tell me they're gonna force me to grind, because if that's the case, I'm gonna quit right one...
I assume at that stage you need like 15 power to do main quests...
It should double to 30. But don't worry there's like 9 main quests and one of them is 15minutes of cutscenes (no seriously.)
But yeah, let the grind begin.
Also, I wonder when my popamoler friend will realise the game is shit. He was saying some shit like "It's almost like art, and if you hated the side quests and only did the main quests maybe it's not the game for you" :whatho:
How does his mind works? I need to know! Scientific reasons...

Deleted member 7219

I'm not defending their side quest design. The most likely result for the shitty quest design in DA:I is that it was originally a Dragon Age MMO.

iirc, the engine was originally meant for a Dragon Age MMO but the whole MMO part was scrapped very early in development. The shitty side content is bizarre -- at one point it looked like they had decent side stuff (someone in this thread posted an article showing a lot of the shit they cut, all of which looked a lot better than what we got) but at some point in development they cut most of it and replaced it with the shitty MMO quests. I think something went really wrong during development and I'm actually a bit curious as to what it was.
Yeah, I saw that video. It actually had C&C! and lots of interactivity with the world. ffs what must have happened to have such a big change...

I'm guessing EA tried to make it an MMO mid-development, and the sidequests / interactivity with the game world got scrapped.

Then some bright spark realised a Dragon Age MMO would compete with SW:TOR and the game became a singleplayer RPG again. EA threw in all their resources to make a salvageable game from the mess, therefore the MQ and the companion quests were actually ok, but every single sidequest was utter shit because they didn't bother writing them in the first place.

That, or some fucktard at EA saw that the Assassin's Creed games were selling very well, much better than the DA series at any rate, with gazillions of collectables and bugger all sidequests and thought, "Yeah, we'll give them that!".

The Witcher 3 comes along a year later, with a massive open world, excellent main story, romances (haha), narrative driven, plenty of voiced dialogue and SIDEQUESTS! Sidequests everywhere, sidequests! The Witcher 3 is the perfect antidote to EA Bioware madness.

The Witcher 3 proves there is no truth to the idea that you can't create an open world and still have a good story. The next time some BioWare cretin says something like, "Well, the sidequests weren't what people expected because we put effort into the world instead", point them at Witcher 3.

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
The thing is it doesn't seem to have been mid-development that they suddenly changed gears. It was the PAX 2013 video that shows a lot of content that ended up not making it into the final game, which was shown in September. At that time the release date was for October 2014, only a little over a year later by that point. So either they knowingly showed off footage of a game they knew they weren't going to deliver (which is a real possibility with EA) or within the span of a few months they drastically overhauled the game, which again makes me really wonder what sort of monumental screw up happened during development.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron

I'll list what you'll be using Power for on by-zone basis. Some spoilers in titles if you care about such things and all. I mean, if you didn't dope out the entire story after the first couple of hours or less. You decide if it's worth it.

Name - Power Required to Scout

Haven - 0
The Hinterlands - 1
Val Royeaux - 0
Address the Chantry - 4 (For Main Quest)
The Fallow Mire - 8
Initate An Alliance - 15 (For Main Quest)
The Storm Coast - 8
Move on the Breach - 1 (For Main Quest)
Forbidden Oasis - 4
Skyhold - 0
Crestwood - 8 (For Main Quest)
The Western Approach - 8
Assault on Adamant - 20 (For Main Quest)
The Exalted Plains - 8
Emerald Graves - 8
Attend the Ball - 30 (For Main Quest)
Emprise du Lion - 25
The Hissing Wastes - 20
The Arbor Wilds - 50 (For Main Quest)

eremita

Savant

I'll list what you'll be using Power for on by-zone basis. Some spoilers in titles if you care about such things and all. I mean, if you didn't dope out the entire story after the first couple of hours or less. You decide if it's worth it.

Name - Power Required to Scout

Haven - 0
The Hinterlands - 1
Val Royeaux - 0
Address the Chantry - 4 (For Main Quest)
The Fallow Mire - 8
Initate An Alliance - 15 (For Main Quest)
The Storm Coast - 8
Move on the Breach - 1 (For Main Quest)
Forbidden Oasis - 4
Skyhold - 0
Crestwood - 8 (For Main Quest)
The Western Approach - 8
Assault on Adamant - 20 (For Main Quest)
The Exalted Plains - 8
Emerald Graves - 8
Attend the Ball - 30 (For Main Quest)
Emprise du Lion - 25
The Hissing Wastes - 20
The Arbor Wilds - 50 (For Main Quest)
Thanks man, appreciate the effort. Well, I give it a try and see how it goes. Can't say I hate the game so far, but it's just so painfully mediocre...

Paul_cz

Arcane
Out of total post-witcher boredom/deppression I finally tried this one out today, figuring at least graphics and exploration will be nice. I bought it last year and never got around to it.

Now I know why. Such generic bland bullshit I haven't seen since Oblivion. I managed to get through intro to Hinterlands, then saw the shitty MMO quests poping up...and I quit it.

I think I will need a new hobby until CD Projekt squirts out those expansions, because this shit won't cut it and I already played everything worthwhile. Fuck.

eremita

Savant
but it's just so painfully mediocre...
I wArned yOUuuuu... multiple times... in person...
And I believed you after you supported your arguments in post review discussion, so it's not about that. The reason I tried this game is because of its design philosophy. I wanted to know what are the ideas behind gameplay systems, if the game is redeemable when played as advised by devs. But it just doesn't work.

In most games, I always find the concept of the game reasonable to some degree and only bad games I have ever played were bad because devs failed to deliver. But this game's core concepts are fucked up. What was their thought process when making this? How can anyone think that making bazillion of trivial activities and uninspiring lore (how can it be inspiring when there's probably thousand of pages of it, I expect to find a notice about how people of Thedas wipe their asses) is the way to go is beyond me. The conlcusion: I would rather play a 10 hour long game crafted with care, than generic massive 5 hundred hours open world banal bland shit. Fucking idiots.

So I'm gonna replay MotB now or whatever.

Last edited:

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
What was their thought process when making this? How can anyone think that making bazillion of trivial activities and uninspiring lore (how can it be inspiring when there's probably thousand of pages of it, I expect to find a notice about how people of Thedas wipe their asses) is the way to go is beyond me.

Because "open world" is currently the shit so Bioware or EA realized they wanted some of that. Until it dawned on them they don't have nearly enough content to fill it with. I'm not sure how far you got since your past post when you were in Val Royeaux, but each zone basically has a usually interesting short story chain associated with it (like the whole dam and undead mystery in Crestwood, for example). That's what they should have had more of instead of resorting to repeatable requisition missions and other collectibles.

And yeah, I really pity anyone who got into the series with Inquisition considering how blandly everything is presented to you, especially tons and tons of lore which is just... there. I guess they had to keep interns busy or something.

Thane Solus

Arcane
went back to POE..

FRsK7E.gif

Oh, the edge...

After seeing "1 billion pages" for each triple A shovelware on codex, from Bioware to Bethkurwa, i am sorry but i do not believe that codex has any good taste in games anymore. Just edginess and trolling.

Fallout 4? 500 pages in the first week? 7 reviews?

"5000 hours played

it sucks!

Average Codex Member"

Delterius

Arcane
What was their thought process when making this? How can anyone think that making bazillion of trivial activities and uninspiring lore (how can it be inspiring when there's probably thousand of pages of it, I expect to find a notice about how people of Thedas wipe their asses) is the way to go is beyond me.

The question you must ask yourself is whether you'd be able to stomach the generic content if the critical path was more interesting, or even if the core gameplay was unique and empowering. To many codexers the answer is, in fact, Yes. NwN2 has such painful core gameplay that it almost invalidates the rules system, but MotB's story is notable enough that lots of people recommend it. At which point the problems with Inquisition are very fundamental and describing this third installment doesn't really explain all of them.

Well, the founding principle of the Dragon Age franchise was echoed by the first game's marketing. The "Spiritual Successor of Baldur's Gate". But not any Baldur's Gate -- not the one we know for giving us BG2's encounter design, its rules system and insane amount of content -- but rather the one that entered mainstream consciousness. The one that gave us "memorable characters" such as Minsc and the "masterful storytelling" from BioWare.

Dragon Age: Origins borrows from that by creating an experience akin to binge watching a fantasy series on Netflix: the dialogue evolved into a full blown soap opera and the game itself is very streamlined. The result was, at the time, one of the highest selling products ever released by the company and it had a following even on the Codex. True, a major part of the latter is the fact that it was 2009 and the dark ages of CRPGs were still with us and true still, the fact that it was the first game of the franchise allowed a few people to forgive certain mistakes -- such as the very limited beastiary and character system -- but I'd argue that until this point the franchise knew exactly what it wanted to be. It was a top down CRPG with a focus on cinematic dialogue and party management.

Later on those two core aspects of the series were changed with Dragon Age 2. The cinematic bent would face overhaul as BioWare abandons the Starmap Formula and seeks to tell a more focused story. That was a very positive change in theory that still ended up failling horribly because Dragon Age 2 was shittily made and there wasn't enough time to reiterate on much of anything, main plot included.

What is more important though is that it was strangely decided that the success of a mere two years before was a thing of an archaic past, that party based management pleased too few people, such that the series succumbed to Consolitis and, most importantly, Actionitis. The focus on consoles kept BioWare from making a decent PC UI, while the efforts to make combat more 'visceral' ended up placing Dragon Age in a weird limbo I like to call the Tacticool Valley: enough people think your games are 'tactical and deep' that you can't really make the Assassin's Creed with Darkspawn and Auto Aim that you really want to. The result is something that doesn't really please either of your imagined customer bases -- the CRPG hardcore fanatic or the Action dudebro.

That brings us to Dragon Age: Inquisition. You'd think that the overwhelmingly negative feedback from Dragon Age 2 would be enough to change the above picture but the Tacticool Valley is truly insidious and its really easier to ignore it altogether and focus on the Story instead. BioWare defaults to the Epic Adventure that is unable to really flesh anything out. The result is perhaps the most anticlimatic story I've ever seen. One that lies unsupported by the cramp inducing exercise otherwise known as 'Holding R to auto attack and spam cooldowns as they come up'. Add a bit of Skyrimitis and you know the rest.

As you tally the bold attempts to 'push the envelope' and 'innovate', what you have in reality is a tale of jumping on bandwagons with no care for core fanbases or the game's roots. In my view, the chains of history binds Dragon Age too tightly and no other series out there is this doomed into mediocrity.

darthaegis

Cipher
Also, I wonder when my popamoler friend will realise the game is shit. He was saying some shit like "It's almost like art, and if you hated the side quests and only did the main quests maybe it's not the game for you"
How does his mind works? I need to know! Scientific reasons...
Just noticed this reply, sorry for not replying earlier
TBH... I don't know, but I think he loved DA2 and did all the side quests, so I guess he likes awesome button and cinematics.

eremita

Savant
Well, Gaider seeems to aknowledge that side quests in Witcher 3 are superior: http://www.gamereactor.eu/grtv/?id=229594

I know the guy gets a lot of heat around here, but he's actually pretty cool. Good interview.

BTW, that narrative presentation from CDP guy might be a front page material... Mods?

Starwars

Arcane
You can't like David Gaider here, it's just not allowed to erode the edginess and anger of the codex. You must leave immediately and never return.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Do you remember Gaider ever ever posting here on Codex? :obviously:

He used to post here quite often back in the day. But then this place continued to gather more shitposters and morans and they finally ran him off (of which I don't blame him).

This place really has gone to shit since then.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
You can't like David Gaider here, it's just not allowed to erode the edginess and anger of the codex. You must leave immediately and never return.

I think Gaider the modder was quite well received here on the Codex.

On another note, DA:I has released its second horse armor DLC. That's twice as many as Oblivion. For good measure, they added skimpy female clothing and a naked chick statue. Because gamers.

2KVDnDL.jpg
GcrVlxa.jpg

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
http://kotaku.com/the-witcher-3-vs-dragon-age-inquisition-the-compariso-1720924405
Kotaku once again here to entertain us with their spectacular idiocy and faggotry.
It’s tough not to give this one to Dragon Age just for giving us so many terrific new characters—Dorian, Josephine, Iron Bull and his Chargers—while further fleshing out the ones we already knew, like Cassandra and Varric.
While Wild Hunt gets credit for having a game world that actually feels kingdom-sized, Inquisition’s approach to scattering its areas across a large map, then letting you visit an in-game version of that map to allocate resources and troops, is novel and unexpectedly effective. It may not have been deep, but it was a cool idea.
While it’s nice to have some things exist in the game world, fast travel should probably be as easy to access as possible.
Perhaps a controversial pick, but Dragon Age often uses sex to explore its characters in a way that The Witcher doesn’t, though that does seem to have been a conscious choice on the part of CD Projekt Red. Neither game puts sex on the same uncomfortable pedestal that past RPGs have, which feels like progress... but neither game manages to make kissing look like anything more than an awkward, difficult programming challenge that necessitates creative blocking and quick camera cuts. And when it comes down to it, nothing in The Witcher 3 manages to outdo that instant-classic Iron Bull scene.

Paul_cz

Arcane
I just bit my fucking tongue at the claiming that the fucking webcomic tier iron bull scene was being lauded as an instant classic. Holy fuck I was writing "comedy" like that when I was 8. Fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck I need to get off this site before I fucking explode

Edit: THe comments: Inquisition had Sera, Blackwall, Dorian and Iron Bull. Their writing was fantastic.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Yeah I watched that embedded bull sex scene and what the fuck, how could anything be so lame

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom