Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Dwarf Run

butchy

Prospernaut
Last edited by a moderator:

groke

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera BattleTech I'm very into cock and ball torture
Was considering not removing this game until I saw the faggot token elves in the trailer. Yet another game perpetuating harmful stereotypes about dwarven competency in magic? #Its2015 #DwarfWizardAndNotAshamed

sser

Arcane
Developer
I'm pretty sure those are the exact same models as the Realms of Arkania 3D funtimes remake.

butchy

Prospernaut
No, they aren't. And that game is fucking amazing now. It is 3d fun time for people with impeccable taste like myself.

V_K

Arcane
Oh, who cares.
Linear story and no chargen are bigger issues imo.
Still gonna give it a try because of advertised PnC elements - worst case scenario, steam refunds aren't very hard to get.

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Some first impressions:

-The game is challenging. As in, it's really hard. Surviving battles so far is completely dependent on luck instead of tactics since there's not much you can do aside from using the few spells you have and then let everyone attack the enemies, hoping the RNG is in your favor.

-There are no random encounters so there are no means to grind.

-There's a wound system which means the more damage you take the harder it is for you to hit a mob.

-The PnC system is a nice touch but the puzzles are very easy so far. Still nice to have.

-Dialogues are ranging from entertaining to cringeworthy cheesy. Then again I don't really like "funny" rpgs.

-It's ugly. It's even uglier in movement. I don't mind tho.

-The level up system is a bit too shallow, you basically have a few points to distribute among very few skills and perks - most perks seem kinda useless too, but maybe I'm wrong here. Also you have a "reset last level" button that lets you redo the last lvl up completely at any time.

-You get XP for solving puzzles. In combat XP is shared by how much damage a character did, not sure if that's a wise decision.

So far it is actually fun but I have to see if the game becomes unfair later on, some of the first battles were really incredibly imbalanced. Also it has to be seen if the lvl up system will stay rewarding enough.

Last edited:

Old Hans

Arcane
weird. Somehow they got their video mixed up with some old Everquest pre release footage.

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
A few more levels in the difficulty has balanced out now that I have more spells and my melees are able to actually hit and do some damage. So far I would recommend it, it's really a fun little game if you can get over the ugly graphics.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So I tried this too and eh... it's certainly an interesting approach to a hybrid, but it didn't really grab me yet because of the same reasons Scrooge mentioned. The combat is just "hit enemy until it falls down" for now because you get very few resources at the beginning, and it also seems that ammunition is rather sparse so you better conserve that, too. Puzzles are rather easy, and the dialogues... eh, they're kinda cute I guess. I hope the combat becomes better.

butchy

Prospernaut
It is okay for $7 but is nothing to write home about in my opinion. But it is one of the few new releases without naked children. New releases on steam seem pretty dry for a while. There is that DM game, and I'm not sure how much rpg Hard West has in it. Anything coming up anyone know about?

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Ok, so the game got better and better. The puzzles became a bit more interesting, the story is hilariously bad but entertaining, the battles became more strategical. Gathering equipment and levels was very rewarding, every level and new sword really felt like an achievement. Also the game features a lot of different locations, some pretty crazy ones even, so it's very rich in variety. But now, very late into the game, I have to quit. In the endgame you get into an arena in which you have to do literally dozens and dozens of arena combat for hours. This was clearly meant to stretch the game time and it shows. It's horrible, it's a boring, repetitive grind and completely different from what the game was before.

So yeah, too bad. The game had a lot of promise and I wanted to either do a short review or at least recommend it here as a hidden gem after I finished it but the arena completely ruins the endgame. It is never a good idea to stretch gametime by throwing hundreds of enemies at the party in lategame but this is one of the most shameless time stretchers I've ever encountered.

Just so you know what I mean: You have 10 different types of arena battles and you need to win each of these 10 types 5 times. Each type is a different kind of monster group or a different scenario. So for example you pick "beggar fight 1" and fight 3 beggars. Then you pick tier 2 of the beggar fight and combat 5 beggars. And so on. That's it. There's also a "protect the damsel" mode but it also is incredibly frustrating since basically it also just means "kill 20 monsters". No, fighting ~50 arena battles for 5 hours or longer is not fun at all. Especially since between these arena battles there is absolutely nothing to do, there's no story going on, no puzzles, no interaction, nothing, you grind through these battles getting more and more frustrated.

Meh. A very unsatisfying end to what could have been a really great little game.

sser

Arcane
Developer
I don't get it - if you have created the most butt-ugly character models in history, why keep showing them up close the whole time?

zNfIAIZ.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom