Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter The Dwarves (Die Zwerge), a horde combat RPG from KING Art Games

rezaf

Cipher
You guys have my highest respect - if you think Heitz' "Die Zwerge" is unsufferable fantasy trash, I only can admire you to see through even better fantasy CRPG stories.

It's true, those books are only fanservice for people that like dwarves, but it's written in huge letters as the very title of the book, so potential readers cannot claim they've not been warned.
With this in mind, I though most of the Die Zwerge books - especially in abbreviated audio book form - were kinda neat and enjoyable.
There's stuff I don't like, but that's true for basically all fantasy books I've ever read, so what?

Let's not talk about the dark elf Albae knockoff, though - that's some of the most boring and pointless crap I've ever had the misfortune of reading.

Self-Ejected

HobGoblin42

Self-Ejected
Patron
Developer
Codex 2013 Codex USB, 2014
Hohlbein < Heitz ("Die Zwerge") < many other anglo-american authors < Salvatore (D&D) < Rothfuss < Tolkien

And yes, since we murdered (or expelled) our jewish film artists in the early 20th century (which enabled the dominance of Hollywood btw), the German nation is not capable of creating entertainment products anymore. Our national movie makers are heavily subsidized with tax payer's money (since they can't catch up with the international quality), our public TV is financed by a compulsory levy and the private TV channels are spilling out the cheapest trash content to entertain our welfare recipients.

:Flash:

Arcane
Hohlbein < Heitz ("Die Zwerge") < many other anglo-american authors < Salvatore (D&D) < Rothfuss < Tolkien
It still amazes me that there are so many people who like Rothfuss's drivel. I even met people who like Rothfuss in real life. But still no one could explain how a book without a plot and without characters can be considered even remotely interesting.

Kutulu

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex
Rothfuss is shit, Salvatore is just mindless fun akin to Halo & Warhammer books, and yeah none of those are actually good books.

Tolkien, Bakker, Erikson and to a lesser degree Martin & Abercrombie, those are some good fantasy writers.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Witzko used to do some good work. Well, when I was a kid anyway.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected

Hohlbein had some good stories and writing style in the past... most of them from the Wolfgang+Heike era though. At that time I found his books much more interesting than Stephen King, Harry Potter, or Tolkien. But his books got remarkeably worse after that time. I haven't read a book from him in the past 10 years, so I don't know if anything changed for the better...:|

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Hohlbein had some good stories and writing style in the past... most of them from the Wolfgang+Heike era though. At that time I found his books much more interesting than Stephen King, Harry Potter, or Tolkien. But his books got remarkeably worse after that time. I haven't read a book from him in the past 10 years, so I don't know if anything changed for the better...:|

Slightly unrelated nostalgia driven flashback:

Have not read much Hohlbein and do not care to, but he has written (or co-written) one book that was really influential to me in my childhood. It was set in the DSA universe in a besieged city called Greifenburg. It was a trilogy of books actually - Das Jahr des Greifen. The setting was absolutely amazing, it was simply this besieged city, no sprawling epic or magical macguffin or anything. Most of the POVs would be the besieged, sometimes it would be the besieging orc warlord and his mercenaries. It was so interesting to read about the struggle these two parties have to go through, the hunger and the suffering and the exhaustion and the pressure and all the different machinations to defend the city or finally break its walls. I never found anything like that in other fantasy since then, all the 'sieges' I have come accross have always been quite underwhelming in comparison. I don't know why that is, you'd think that the inherent drama of the struggle of a siege would lend itself to fantasy authors. Not sure how these books really hold up by my personal standards of today, maybe they are absolutely terrible. I guess I'll find out soon since this thread triggered me enough to actually go and re-order them.

Still not interested in this game though. Please carry on.

Beastro

Arcane
Main character with improbable helmet:

k5FqiC2.jpg

This kind of dwarves is unfortunately all but extinct in fantasy:

magic-mouth1.jpg

All that remain are the Little Vikings....

Really. What is the fucking difference between them and the Nord/Barbarian archetype now besides size and one living underground?

karnak

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
Wasn't there once another Kickstarter RPG involving a party of dwarves in the underworld?
I have a vague recollection of it having been funded.

Realtime 3D graphics (a WoW cartoonish-style), third-person view.
Anyone has any idea what I'm talking about?:?

EDIT:
Nevermind. I've found it.
It didn't got funded and it wasn't an RPG. :P

Seems it's still being produced, though.

Last edited:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I was gonna say that I might support if it cost $10. Early bird is $20.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Well, we still leave Telltale threads in the Adventure forum...

Darkzone

Arcane
Bach will knock you out with an upper hook.
Ok this is a bit out of context, i referred there to the post modern current times. In the past german and italian musicians were much better, than the english. But where are the german or the italian musicians now?
And if we look at the classical music ( or what is named as classical music), then yes the Germans are still the masters with perhaps the italians on the same level, and then they are followed by the russians. And somewhere down below there are the english, between the poles, hungarians and czechs.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
They released their 2nd Kickstarter update.

Halfway through
Hi everyone! We’ve reached half of the funding goal in the first week. Wohoo!

e9af0efe9dd7b30d94511ff9286afb36_original.jpg

This is the first artwork that was made for "The Dwarves". We’ve got a long way behind us!
As usual the pledges are by now considerably less than in the beginning. That’s completely normal and we’ve planned several things to raise the curve once in a while along the way.

We therefore believe that we can surpass the goal significantly and that’s why we want to present our plan for Stretch Goals today!

0c2739bfadcad48a7e758cf64b0c0d57_original.gif

Stretch Goals
Stretch Goals are additional goals that can be reached once the Funding Goal (in our case $260.000) is reached. They improve the game for ALL backers and will hopefully bring us some more attention.

As a premiere we DON‘T have a specific order for Stretch Goals! Instead each goal costs the same (75.000) and you can choose which goal we should implement for you, as soon as we are $75.000 above the Funding Goal (then at $150.000 above, and so on).

You can choose between the following goals:

Stretch Goal “Music Pack”

• The whole soundtrack of the game will be recorded with a real orchestra
  • We will integrate music that changes dynamically based on what happens in the game
  • We will put an additional tabletop figurine (Boïndil) into the “Kickstarter”-Edition and all backers of digital editions will receive the data of both figurines for 3D printers
  • The game will be translated to one additional language (subtitles); The language is chosen by you
Stretch Goal “New Character & Quests Pack”

• Markus Heitz will write a completely new companion for Tungdil, with a unique back story and quests
  • The game will be translated to one additional language (subtitles); The language is chosen by you
Stretch Goal “Coop Pack”

• We will add a “Local Coop” option to the game, that can be played with up to four players
Stretch Goal “Game Modes Pack”

• The game will be enhanced with a “New Game Plus” mode (meaning that the second playthrough of the game is different than the first)
  • The game will be enhanced with a “Horde Mode”, where you have to withstand approaching orcs on different maps for as long as possible; The results will be saved in Highscore lists

Mac & Linux versions
Many of you contacted us to ask, if we could make Mac and Linux versions, just like we did for “Battle Worlds: Kronos” and “The Book of Unwritten Tales 2”.

We ported the current version of the game to Mac and Linux computers for test purposes and basically there seem to be less problems than we had anticipated. We roughly calculated the effort needed and decided to grab the bull by the horns.

So, yes: There will be Mac & Linux versions of "The Dwarves", if the Kickstarter is successful!

0d86086ab962f7b66465b2772ae0f781_original.jpg

We didn’t put both versions in the Stretch Goals, because we want to give you the guarantee that you’ll really get the version you want, if you support us. Please help us, to get enough Mac/Linux fans supporting the campaign. Go to forums and groups, link to the campaign and ask editors to cover "The Dwarves".

PayPal Shop is online!
If you don’t own a credit card and still want to support us, you can now do so in our shop: http://www.dwarves-game.com/

www.dwarves-game.com

The money pledged there does NOT count toward the Kickstarter Funding Goal. If you have the possibility, it’s better to support us on Kickstarter.

The money does count toward the Stretch Goals though. That means, as soon as we’ve reached the Funding Goal, we will include the PayPal money in the total sum, regarding the accomplishment of Stretch Goals.

I wonder how effectively they can raise the daily pledges again, at the moment, they are really low.

DraQ

Arcane
  • 4 heroes against "hundreds of foes" - "think Helm's Deep"
How about a game where hero(es) can't take their licence to badass for granted and have to face opponents that are comparable or more powerful than they can ever be so they have to use their cunning for a change?
There is a reason why most storytelling usually doesn't involve hero steamrolling shit either right from the start or after grinding some levels, why can't cRPGs catch the fuck up?

Because dwarves are the pinnacle of sentient beings.
Only of humans/demihumans, sorry.
:smug:

Last edited:

Rabbid

Savant
How about a game where hero(es) can't take their licence to badass for granted and have to face opponents that are comparable or more powerful than they can ever be so they have to use their cunning for a change?

I agree with you DraQuiem ;), but there is a thin line between "using your cunning" and "glitching" when trying to apply such a non linear concept in game.
On whose cunning are you referring to? The avatar's/hero's/party's or the player's? The first one needs storytelling tools. I can't think of a gameplay element to depict it completely - of course, some systems can be used to gamify the concept, but it cannot be done without a lot of abstraction. Furthermore, it is especially difficult with input-heavy games with their own limited mechanics, which are carved in stone for the most part of the game (once the player figures them out).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom