Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Elder Scrolls Online - gone B2P

Morkar Left

Black
You wrote that making it like Daggerfall would break it even more. I asked how it's already broken. Care to explain?

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
They recycled a lot of voice actors, though. For most of them I don't mind at all, but it is sort of jarring when you speak to a random Bosmer who sounds like Sheogorath.
This is what Bethesda's been doing since Oblivion: blow the whole budget on big name actors who say a few lines, then have everyone else in the world voiced by the same four people.

Aenra

Stop focusing on petty details! Such lack of focus, when matters of the outmost importance are left in flux?
Things are serious !111!1

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/159825/male-version-of-the-wedding-dress#latest

54d00a083f166.png

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
They recycled a lot of voice actors, though. For most of them I don't mind at all, but it is sort of jarring when you speak to a random Bosmer who sounds like Sheogorath.
This is what Bethesda's been doing since Oblivion: blow the whole budget on big name actors who say a few lines, then have everyone else in the world voiced by the same four people.
It never amazes me how could they think it will be OK to let argonians and [insert race] share the same "cowboy" voice. But maybe this is a move against scottish dwarves. It would be funnier though if they would go full cowboy on them with idjits and shit.

Meanwhile TSW with a much smaller budget also recycles actors, but shuffles them better and the makes them play their roles.

Aenra

is it done by the same dev team as skyrim/oblibion?

no, with one exception, it's a different team/studio led by Matt Firor* and a score of very young people that are lucky enough to get the job, but that's about it.
the only common person in said team with those of the TES series is the Lore-Master(TM) aka Lawrence. He has contributed his wealth of knowledge freely, for princely sums i am incapable of comprehending
http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2014-04/04/loremaster-eso/viewgallery/333803
i probably will not surprise you much by stating that the quests are really, really bad. Utterly predictable, recycled, stereotypical shite usually in the repeated patterns of:

- damsel in distress, show your inner SJW
- terrible evul (TM) arising. All come forth
- cursed noble young lad of honest intentions and sensitive character seeking hero to lift said curse and assist him in reclaiming..this is where it gets deeper, i hope you have a degree?..
a) his lost castle
b) his lost castle AND his former girlfriend. Who, by total coincidence, happens to be a repressed Wood Elf
c) his good standing, because "i don't care to work for money, money can't buy me love"

Can't buy meeee loooove, looove
Money can't buy me, money can't buy me. Love

* yet another one-time wonder in the MMO industry as it turns out. Well minus his arrogance. That has remained intact throughout the years.

Aenra

Wow, I missed that it was headed by Firor somehow. I didn't piss on this thing nearly enough, then

well i'm not one for gloating; but admittedly, receiving full lobotomy treatment for a measly 60euro was quite the treat. And from a celecbrity no less.
so i could understand how someone would get jealous. It's really alright.

Angthoron

Arcane
Wow, I missed that it was headed by Firor somehow. I didn't piss on this thing nearly enough, then

well i'm not one for gloating; but admittedly, receiving full lobotomy treatment for a measly 60euro was quite the treat. And from a celecbrity no less.
so i could understand how someone would get jealous. It's really alright.
Not quite sure what you meant there, but okay :lol:

Turjan

Arcane
Just got an email, telling me that I have successfully activated a code for The Elder Scrolls® Online: Tamriel Unlimited™.

Well, I didn't do a thing. I guess they want me to come and look at it during another free weekend from 16. to 20. Sneaky.
The full text of the mail is a bit more honest though.

Nael

Arcane
Got this email today. Never subbed the game. Only played some beta. Hated it.

You are invited to participate in our Welcome Back Weekend for The Elder Scrolls® Online: Tamriel Unlimited™. The weekend will run from April 16th at 10am EST ending on April 20th at 10am EST, allowing you to once again adventure through Tamriel. We’re excited to share this experience with you, and we look forward to your feedback after you have played. There have been many advances to the game since launch, improved levelling, intro areas, combat, quests, crafting, crime systems, and much more! Don’t miss this opportunity to check out everything new.

Players on both North American and European game servers will have access to this event. We’ll send instructions for downloading the game and how to reset your account in the coming weeks to ensure you are ready for our Welcome Back Weekend.

Start: Thursday, Apr. 17th at 10:00AM EST

End: Monday, Apr. 20th at 10:00AM EST

Click [Link] to read critical known issues.

The client is approximately 80GB, so please begin your download as early as possible. You will need to download the entire game before attempting to play.

80 fucking GB. Are they serious? 80GB of what I gather is irredeemable shit. Holy cow.

:abyssgazer:

EDIT: Agh. Turjan beat me to it. I used a funny picture though so his post should be deleted.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Nah, it's 31GB or so. It just needs 80GB of allocated free space because reasons.

I received the very same email, tried downloading the game and got absolutely pathetic download speeds which would've left me downloading the damn thing for about three days straight. Took the sign for what it was and promptly uninstalled the game. Thanks for looking out for me, Jesus. :obviously:

Last edited:

Turjan

Arcane
I was happy I got the space on my HD back.

The only time I played this game was during the free beta in the very beginning. Even there, I had been in there may be a bit more than one hour. Then I asked myself "what am I doing here?" and never started that thing up again.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!

The only time I played this game was during the free beta in the very beginning. Even there, I had been in there may be a bit more than one hour. Then I asked myself "what am I doing here?" and never started that thing up again.
I got coaxed by my AoC bros and played for first full month. When the sub ended I just stopped playing and even for a second I didn't think about coming back.

I'm still mourning WAR, fending off urges to get back to AoC (even after 4 years of top grind) and still coming back to TSW every few weeks. ESO is just bland as fuck.

Nael

Arcane

I got coaxed by my AoC bros and played for first full month. When the sub ended I just stopped playing and even for a second I didn't think about coming back.

I'm still mourning WAR, fending off urges to get back to AoC (even after 4 years of top grind) and still coming back to TSW every few weeks. ESO is just bland as fuck.

I miss WAR sometimes too but then I have flashbacks of the red-out rages I had from Mythic's idea of "class balance" for such a PVP-centric game. No. It can stay dead.

Aenra

idonthavetimeforthiscrap
No hate. Generally. And nothing DAoC related in any case. If you read my post, am just saying "yet another one-time wonder as it turns out". Which to me, he is. Along with many others of course, wouldn't single him out. This being the TESO thread however, he alone is the man to discuss from their lot.
They brought him in to leave his mark..and i assume that he did. Just not in a way anyone could have anticipated ^^

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron

I miss WAR sometimes too but then I have flashbacks of the red-out rages I had from Mythic's idea of "class balance" for such a PVP-centric game. No. It can stay dead.
Not being able to play it EVER beats server-melting fortresses raids, unkillable WPs and zerg RR farming. I miss the streets of The Inevitable City...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom