Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Elder Scrolls Online - gone B2P

Turjan

Arcane
Let's see how many messages they will sent. Today it was a longer text. And they reminded me of my user ID :D.

Whiran

Magister
That was the first email I got yesterday ;). Well, they claimed I had activated the code, but nonetheless.
I was wondering about that one as well.

This time they are trying to bribe me into downloading - I now have 500 credit thingies to my name! I guess I only get them if I log in though.

That's three emails about it.

Whiran

Magister
I respond well to bribes. Is this worth playing?
Up to you.

I downloaded it 'cause 500 free things right?

Turns out I didn't see anything worthwhile that one can acquire with 500 things. What a surprise.

Happily, they've emailed me yet another offer. This time 25% off anything in their store before next Wednesday.

Given that I got to level 3 before I lost interest (again) I don't think I'll take them up on that offer.

A horse of course

Is there some kind of vague synopsis or wiki that explains where the plot goes in this shitty MMO? I'm curious.

Echo Mirage

Arcane
Is there some kind of vague synopsis or wiki that explains where the plot goes in this shitty MMO? I'm curious.

Here

The game is set in 2E 582 during the Interregnum, a period of time between the assassination of Savirien-Chorak and the rise of Tiber Septim, where there was chaos, bloodshed, and no Emperor on the Ruby Throne.

Several years prior, the Cyrodilic Emperor Varen Aquilarios desired to become Dragonborn in order to light the Dragonfires in the Imperial City, thus legitimizing his claim to the Ruby Throne. The sorcerer Mannimarco was able to convince him that he knew a ritual that could accomplish this, but that it required the Amulet of Kings. Along with the leader of the Dragonguard Sai Sahan, the half-giant Lyris Titanborn and the High Chancellor of the Elder Council, Abnur Tharn, they became the Five Companions. They were able to retrieve the Amulet of Kings and begin the ritual in 2E 578. At that moment, Mannimarco used his dark magic to immobilize the others and reveal his true intentions: he was an agent of Molag Bal, and the ritual in fact weakened the barriers between Nirn and Oblivion in an event known at the Soulburst. This event allowed Molag Bal to initiate the Planemeld, a forceful merging of worlds. Once the ritual was completed, aftershocks were swept across every corner of Nirn. Mages died or went mad, Red Mountain trembled in Morrowind, earthquakes shook Skyrim, and heavy storms devastated the coastlines of Elsweyr and Valenwood. The constellation of the Serpent grew so large that it seemed to threaten every star sign at once.

The Tharn family, rulers of Cyrodiil through Empress Regent Clivia Tharn,made a pact with Mannimarco, the King of Worms, who has agreed to supplement the Imperial's forces by resurrecting their soldiers, except for Clivia's father Abnur, who opposes Mannimarco.Secretly, Mannimarco is a servant of Molag Bal, the Daedric Prince of corruption and domination. Molag Bal is harvesting the souls of mortals for more power. The hero, known as the Vestige, is an adventurer whose soul has been taken, which allows them to constantly return to life. The player is killed by Mannimarco in a sacrificial ritual and they are brought to Coldharbour, where they awaken to find a mysterious man known as the Prophet, who, with the help of Lyris Titanborn, helps the Vestige escape Coldharbour, freeing the Prophet, but also imprisoning Lyris within Coldharbour. Once the Vestige escapes Coldharbour, they awaken in Tamriel and are let loose upon the dangerous world.

Last edited:

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
That smell of desperation

1lTDVfx.jpg

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
That smell of desperation

1lTDVfx.jpg
Lolwut.

I don't know all their corporate voodoo, but the worst slap for me was when (during first month after launch) I removed my payment info (so they can't charge me for another month) and they blocked my account despite my sub was still valid for ~week. That was seriously fucked up.

Multi-headed Cow

Bought this here videogame. Gonna avoid mudcrabs. Gonna look at guars. Gonna call my MMO playing pals n'wahs and s'wits. :dance:

Multi-headed Cow

Yeah, freeing up space for it was an adventure. I had to make painful deletions like Thiaf and Valkyria Chronicles.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
Now that this game gone B2P i think i'll give it another chance. I liked it when it was P2P, but not enough for paying subscriptions for it.

Tips? What have changed? Still the vampires OP?

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Now that this game gone B2P i think i'll give it another chance. I liked it when it was P2P, but not enough for paying subscriptions for it.

Tips? What have changed? Still the vampires OP?

I tried it during beta. Not impressed. Then slowly waited for it to become B2P, but am really not too confident about it being even worth the 30€ it costs... How does it compare to, say, GW2, in terms of enjoyability?

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Buy The Secret World
WEEK LONG DEAL! Offer ends 27 April

-66% 29,99€ 10,19€ Add to Cart

If the secret world ran on the ESO engine (which is quite optimized), i would play it without a second thought... but having to play on the atrocious piece of crap that Funcon managed to shit out, no way.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
Buy The Secret World
WEEK LONG DEAL! Offer ends 27 April

-66% 29,99€ 10,19€ Add to Cart

If the secret world ran on the ESO engine (which is quite optimized), i would play it without a second thought... but having to play on the atrocious piece of crap that Funcon managed to shit out, no way.
ESO runs very good, but has this weird rendering mode that makes everything feel less solid, less meaty. In TSW I feel the whole zone is a solid object, in ESO it's made of objects popping in/out of existence.

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I was happy I got the space on my HD back.

The only time I played this game was during the free beta in the very beginning. Even there, I had been in there may be a bit more than one hour. Then I asked myself "what am I doing here?" and never started that thing up again.
I got coaxed by my AoC bros and played for first full month. When the sub ended I just stopped playing and even for a second I didn't think about coming back.

I'm still mourning WAR, fending off urges to get back to AoC (even after 4 years of top grind) and still coming back to TSW every few weeks. ESO is just bland as fuck.

I miss WAR sometimes too but then I have flashbacks of the red-out rages I had from Mythic's idea of "class balance" for such a PVP-centric game. No. It can stay dead.
DaoC was superior to WAR in every way imaginable to man, WAR is the EA contaminated bastard spawn. It is good that it is dead now, I only regret noone rammed a flock through its heart, so we might get to endure it again in the near future...

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
lmfao let's attract the sexy console crowd with this video

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom