Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Elder Scrolls Online - gone B2P

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
We don't know because it's TESO, so it's shit we don't play.
Well, not anymore. You are on the 122nd page of the thread, after all.

Helton

Arcane
So I've had an MMO itch for a couple weeks now. Started up Age of Conan with my wife and its okay. But what I really look for in an MMO is good systems. I searched google for an MMO with a character system like Path of Exile and people were saying the closest one was this here ESO.

Indeed the character system and crafting both look very interesting/well done. With a huge number of skills in the character system, and "morphing" allowed on (it looks like) all active skills for customization. Also seems like each DLC questline will add a new skill tree, meaning the character customization will continue to improve over time.

Most of the complaints I'm seeing here seem highly subjective or else complaints to be filed at the entire genre. Is anyone actively playing this? Thoughts on strengths and weaknesses?

For reference, of the MMOs I've tried, Anarchy Online was prob my favorite and SWG I played at launch and enjoyed quite a bit. Both primarily for the interesting systems.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
I liked the character system but couldn't endure the questing - it's just such a bore. I'd rather have quick and easy "Kill 12 pigs" quests than watered down Skyrimlike questing. I enjoyed SWTOR way more, especially since now you only have to do storyline quests to level up and the stories aren't as dull. From what I've seen it's people that haven't played a lot of MMOs before and/or REALLY like nu-TES games that also like TESO.

Helton

Arcane
I guess in addition I would ask, are there any MMOs with complex and interesting systems which you would recommend? Ie where building a character involves thought, planning, and effort.

Helton

Arcane
I liked the character system but couldn't endure the questing - it's just such a bore. I'd rather have quick and easy "Kill 12 pigs" quests than watered down Skyrimlike questing. I enjoyed SWTOR way more, especially since now you only have to do storyline quests to level up and the stories aren't as dull. From what I've seen it's people that haven't played a lot of MMOs before and/or REALLY like nu-TES games that also like TESO.

For example, how do the quests differ from a typical MMO "kill 12 boars" format? Is it just that there is voice acting setting up the premise?

I guess in addition I would ask, are there any MMOs with complex and interesting systems which you would recommend? Ie where building a character involves thought, planning, and effort.

Nowadays probably none, unless you consider PoE and the like to be MMOs.

Well Ultima Online still fits the bill (on private servers that is, idk how it is on official shards) and maybe Eve.

Last edited:

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!

For example, how do the quests differ from a typical MMO "kill 12 boars" format? Is it just that there is voice acting setting up the premise?
"Find proof of murder" and quest compass pointing to the specific drawer in a specific desk in a specific room in a specific house.

unfortunately anarchy online didn't stand the test of time.
the interface has never been good and tidy, today it's an incredible mess. and also because of lack of quality of life improvements: spending 30 minutes to put together a team and 10 more trekking to find a decent hecklers grinding spot is not bearable anymore.
but i'd give a leg for a modern game with its character development and crafting.

Self-Ejected

Brayko

Self-Ejected
I've decided to take the plunge and try it out. Some kind of Altmer Dragon Knight or something. Pretty basic albeit fun so far I hope it opens up.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Well, since you're a Trump'er I'd say bad fantasy escapism is right up your alley.

Last edited:

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
I basically agree with the sentiment that it's an alright MMO as far as character systems go. I can only handle the game in small doses, though. It also works really well on my brother's xbone.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Just gave this game another try. It's still shit (bland, simplistic, uninspired, railroaded, retard-proof) and only made me want to play Morrowind or even Skyrim (#gasp). SWTOR or vanilla WoW are actually better.

Lythandra

Educated
Is there any peer 2 peer crap in the game? I'm on a cap limited connection so can't play if I'm torrenting files to other players. I can download it at work. If it's just normal up and download then I'm fine.

Lythandra

Educated
No, not all. Lotto is not. Age of Conan is not. Star Wars does and is thus unplayable for me.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
Playing the new Skyrim game Enderal has got me re-interested in this game if a couple things have changed.

1) Doing a google search it doesn't look like there are real auction houses in the game and buying shit is still a huge hassle. Has there been any word of this changing? The last thing I want to do is play games that force me to waste time running around all over the place to buy something, instead of going to one simple place and seeing everything like real games do.

2) Is this game still a looting/harvesting simulator where you need to run around all the cities and houses to loot everything to find crafting shit and recipes, or did the thievery system take care of this nonsense?

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
Well, fuck you guys for the answers. I read up and found out nothing about a real auction house but the next patch for this is supposed to make everything level scale so you can go anywhere and do anything like in the true Bethesda formula for monkey people. I wish there was some information on the AH. Its just weird what they have now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom