Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Elder Scrolls Online - gone B2P

I got this game during the free weekend recently. I actually like it a lot more than I was expecting; I played it for an entire day when i started. I haven't played in a couple days now though. It came for me at an unfortunate time when a lot of other games came out that I was waiting for.
I don't like MMOs much but this is one I feel i'll probably keep playing.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
They have hairstyles locked behind micotransactions. Hairstyles. Behind paywalls. Hairstyles.
Isn't this par for the course for B2P games? They're not getting sub fees, so they're going to try to milk players some other way and purely cosmetic options are far from the worst way to do it.

Gauldur's Bait

Arbiter
According to the elder scrolls wikia the cliffracers are now entirely passive creatures (except for a summonable ally)...:decline:
Those players will never know the hell low-level characters in Morrowind went through...that combat mechanic against those cliff racers...aahh the memories.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
According to the elder scrolls wikia the cliffracers are now entirely passive creatures (except for a summonable ally)...:decline:
Those players will never know the hell low-level characters in Morrowind went through...that combat mechanic against those cliff racers...aahh the memories.
Some things I'd never miss...

Though a nod to the hilarity of it would have been nice.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
This expansion seems like a desperate bid to revitalize the game by banking Morrowind nostalgia.

bylam

Funcom
Developer
Dunno, my sources at Bethesda say it is doing extremely well on Consoles.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
I've got mixed feelings about it.

The game is level scaled, such that you can go anywhere in the open world at any time. However there appear to be something called "champion points" which are gained after reaching the level cap, and which are required for the game's most difficult content. So, maybe progression isn't entirely pointless.

Aesthetically, it's not the worst but leaves something to be desired. The environments look fine, but aren't as atmospheric as Morrowind or even Skyrim. The armor models I've seen are pretty ugly, and characters have an uncanny valley thing going on. Normally I play girls because I wish I was one, but I couldn't make one that doesn't look like a tranny or burn victim so this time I'm playing a man.

The combat is more action-y than most MMOs, but seems to be missing something I can't quite put my finger on. Attacks feel like they lack impact - though this might just be an issue with destruction staves, which seem to be the only real weapon choice. This is because you're supposed to put all your level up points into either stamina or magicka, which not only increases that resource pool but also the effectiveness of skills that use it. Almost all skills you get from your class use magicka, but all weapon skills except those of staves use stamina. So you go staff, so you can use both weapon skills and class skills. You can only have six active skills equipped at a time - while I'm not a fan of piano-playing with dozens of keybinds like in WoW, a mere six skills is going too far in the opposite direction.

Another thing that annoys me is the lack of an auction house. There are player-made trading guilds that rent merchant NPCs, and being a member of such a guild seems to be the only way to sell stuff without annoying everyone in zone chat. Another problem is that you start out with just sixty inventory slots and sixty bank slots, which are quickly filled with crafting materials you may or may not ever use; there's no weight or size limits, every type of item takes one slot. So, you'll frequently find yourself having to go back to Vivec to sell, fence, deconstruct or bank the stuff you pick up, which gets old fast.

It's not all bad though. I have yet to see a typical "kill ten rats" quests; instead you have the kind of quests you'd see in a proper Elder Scrolls game, with actual plots and multiple objectives. Some of these even let the player make a choice, and some involve stealth (which everyone can do) in addition to violence.

I'm playing the Morrowind expansion which starts new players off on Vvardenfell, and have yet to visit other zones. Vvardenfell seems much smaller than it did in TES 3, and not just because the draw distance is more than 15 feet now. Still, I'm enjoying the exploration and questing. For now, I'm going to keep playing and see where the journey takes me.

Last edited:

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
It's not all bad though. I have yet to see a typical "kill ten rats" quests; instead you have the kind of quests you'd see in a proper Elder Scrolls game, with actual plots and multiple objectives. Some of these even let the player make a choice, and some involve stealth (which everyone can do) in addition to violence.
I don't actually like this. I can't listen to everyone as I would in a normal RPG. Choices tend to catch me off guard.

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
This expansion seems like a desperate bid to revitalize the game by banking Morrowind nostalgia.
It is.

Vvardenfell was closed to colonization until late third era. The island was strictly ashlanders, Telvanni, and Temple reserve, until Uriel 7 pulled some strings in Morrowind's Grand Council. This was current events in Morrowind, if you cared to read the books, investigate the smuggling, and ask about Caldera. Basically, if it hadn't been for Uriel 7's lust for wealth (and the Blade's search for Numidium), there wouldn't be a Vvardenfell district.

Of course, the Telvanni never a gave a shit, but the other Great Houses were beholden to the Temple's sanctions on colonization. They were able to settle small areas, and that was about it. The Empire made the Dunmer rich, but these same Dunmer were butthurt the Empire was there. The politics enriched what most remember was going native.

Which is to say, their cash grab makes no fucking sense at any angle.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Stop playing this fucking garbage game you tools
Well, after 400 hours of guilty pleasure in Skyrim playing through all the big mods (the most excellent being Enderal no doubt), I'm kind of burned out with that one.
Long done with Morrowind, too.
ESO is the closest thing.
:negative:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom