Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Elder Scrolls Online - gone B2P

Okagron

Prophet
I really don't mind a limited level scaling. Like, enemies in area A scale from level 3 to 6, in area B from level 15 to 20, etc.
That way, a certain challenge is maintained while you're leveling in an area, but when you come back later, you will still see how much you grew in power. Obviously, that works only in instanced MMO areas or in single player, though.
This is completely fine and i agree. Just an instance of either you scaling to enemies or enemies scaling to you is bullshit though. Kills any sense of progression.

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
The funny thing is Bethesda have actually been trying to fix level scaling post Oblivion because even they in their retardo wisdom understand now that flat scaling across the whole game kills any sense of enjoyment and progression. The morons making ESO must really be the B grade rejects.

Gerrard

Arcane
Just because enemies scale to your level does not mean your character doesn't get stronger, as you unlock new skills and level them you definitely can kill things more efficiently. Pretty much like in TW3.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Just because enemies scale to your level does not mean your character doesn't get stronger, as you unlock new skills and level them you definitely can kill things more efficiently. Pretty much like in TW3.
Yes, you do unlock those.
But all that does is give you more buttons to press to make stuff happen and - as you said - you kill things more efficiently.
And that's all there is to that.
You kill enemies more efficiently the exact same way in every single area you visit. Including those areas you visited 20 hours ago. Including those you would visit 20 hours from that point.
Once you unlocked what you want, there is no reason to level up any more other than "I'd like that better looking gear, please" and maybe some artificial level restrictions on certain areas.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015

You don't want to compare a game's gameplay to Witcher 3.

Zanzoken

Arcane
Question for you guys. As a Morrowind fag who knows next to nothing about ESO and whose only MMO experience is several years ago trying WoW for a few weeks, would I be wasting my money on this game?

I see the base game + Morrowind chapter is $30 but I wouldn't buy it for less than 50% off, and would not be interested in a subscription or other pay to win features.

Sentinel

Arcane
Question for you guys. As a Morrowind fag who knows next to nothing about ESO and whose only MMO experience is several years ago trying WoW for a few weeks, would I be wasting my money on this game?

I see the base game + Morrowind chapter is $30 but I wouldn't buy it for less than 50% off, and would not be interested in a subscription or other pay to win features.
It's the best written Elder Scrolls game outside of Morrowind. Also has the best gameplay out of all of them, as incredible as that seems. However don't go in expecting an incredible epic game. It has very above average questing (I have more ESO quests engraved in my memory than Oblivion, Skyrim & Morrowind combined), but it's mostly solo questing aside from the typical MMO ones like group dungeon and crafting dailies. You find people wandering around all the time, but aside from world bosses that you might stumble upon you won't be grouping up for questing because it's worthless - the other person does not gain credit for quest objectives you complete and vice versa like in WoW. You can't actually work together while questing.
Despite that, it's pretty enjoyable. Late game's all about farming cosmetic items, item sets for your build and doing the veteran dungeons/trials that switch up mechanics.

Last edited:

Helton

Arcane
You find people wandering around all the time, but aside from world bosses that you might stumble upon you won't be grouping up for questing because it's worthless - the other person does not gain credit for quest objectives you complete and vice versa like in WoW. You can't actually work together while questing.

Wait, really? What if you both have the same quest? Does only one get credit?

Sentinel

Arcane
You find people wandering around all the time, but aside from world bosses that you might stumble upon you won't be grouping up for questing because it's worthless - the other person does not gain credit for quest objectives you complete and vice versa like in WoW. You can't actually work together while questing.

Wait, really? What if you both have the same quest? Does only one get credit?
Let's imagine you both have the same quest that has the objective "Destroy 4 wards". From my experience with a friend, you both have to disrupt 4 wards each. The quest objectives aren't shared.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Sounds like the developers wanted to make an EO spinoff but was forced to make it an MMO.

Why even bother with that stuff?

Gerrard

Arcane
Some quests have shared objectives (even if you're not in a group), some don't (usually things where you have to interact with some object). It's a mystery.

ADL

Prophet
This is completely fine and i agree. Just an instance of either you scaling to enemies or enemies scaling to you is bullshit though. Kills any sense of progression.
I'll take losing a sense of progression over 95% of the areas in the game being invalidated at end game because my numbers are too high and NPCs' are too low.

If there's one genre in gaming where level scaling should be acceptable, it should be content-driven theme park MMOs given how big these games are and how much of a pain in the ass it is to group with your friends that started later otherwise.

I still see a progression despite the level scaling. Instead of my numbers going up and feeling like a god slaying level 6s at level 80, my playstyle has diversified and this doesn't come at the expense of not being able to group with others that haven't reached my level and it also means that going back to the first area in the game isn't a waste of time.

On a different note, Summerset is pretty good.

Cadmus

Arcane
I'll take losing a sense of progression over 95% of the areas in the game being invalidated at end game because my numbers are too high and NPCs' are too low.

If there's one genre in gaming where level scaling should be acceptable, it should be content-driven theme park MMOs given how big these games are and how much of a pain in the ass it is to group with your friends that started later otherwise.

I still see a progression despite the level scaling. Instead of my numbers going up and feeling like a god slaying level 6s at level 80, my playstyle has diversified and this doesn't come at the expense of not being able to group with others that haven't reached my level and it also means that going back to the first area in the game isn't a waste of time.

On a different note, Summerset is pretty good.
Fuck you, retard. Level scaling in an MMO is fucking garbage you fucking fuck.
It's garbage everywhere. There's no reason to ever use it.

Lhynn

Arcane
They are both shit design. Level scaling is worse tho, you are just too stupid to care.

If there's one genre in gaming where level scaling should be acceptable
There isnt.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Your playstyle has diversified? With a maximum of ten abilities to use not counting ults (or was it 4+ult per weapon, I don't remember)? There's simply not much that CAN change here.
Why would you ever want to go back to the first area of the game? That's where you started, you should get a feeling of having outgrown that area, not a feeling of "well, I didn't actually gain any power at all".
Every single "challenge" in ESO is an illusion as your surroundings just scale to you wherever you go, not even Skyrim went that full-on retarded, the level scaling there was at least limited IIRC.

In ESO, the lowly bandit that you fought at the beginning could duke it out with the demigod you fought 50 hours in if you somehow pulled them together.
Your standards have to be incredibly low for this shit not to fully break any semblance of coherence.

Even a pachinko machine offers more than that.

Okagron

Prophet
They are not invalidated, they did its job and you moved on to later areas. Making enemies from the first area still be a challenge to an high level character killls any sense of progression.

Also, what sense does it make for early areas to be visited in endgame? The endgame should be the endgame areas at the end of the game, not the damn first area.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Your playstyle has diversified? With a maximum of ten abilities to use not counting ults (or was it 4+ult per weapon, I don't remember)? There's simply not much that CAN change here.
Why would you ever want to go back to the first area of the game? That's where you started, you should get a feeling of having outgrown that area, not a feeling of "well, I didn't actually gain any power at all".
Every single "challenge" in ESO is an illusion as your surroundings just scale to you wherever you go, not even Skyrim went that full-on retarded, the level scaling there was at least limited IIRC.
Obviously you haven't played the game.
There's hundreds of abilities and you can have twelve active. There's also BLOCKING, ROLLING, and INTERRUPT
Show me another mmo that has you using 15 abilities in rotation? Oh yeah that doesn't exist
BITCH

In ESO, the lowly bandit that you fought at the beginning could duke it out with the demigod you fought 50 hours in if you somehow pulled them together.
Your standards have to be incredibly low for this shit not to fully break any semblance of coherence.

again obviously haven't played the game.
there's huge differences between the difficulty of single bandits, groups of enemies in delves/public dungeons, world bosses (tons per zone btw), actual dungeons, vet dungeons, raids, ...
by the time you're raiding some demigod you'll be able to wipe a bandit in like a second

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
They are not invalidated, they did its job and you moved on to later areas. Making enemies from the first area still be a challenge to an high level character killls any sense of progression.

Also, what sense does it make for early areas to be visited in endgame? The endgame should be the endgame areas at the end of the game, not the damn first area.

There's no such thing as "early area" or "end game area" in ESO dumbass. It's like any other ES game where you can fuck around wherever in whatever order you want. You're trying to conflate eso with wow or some shit

ADL

Prophet

There's no such thing as "early area" or "end game area" in ESO dumbass. It's like any other ES game where you can fuck around wherever in whatever order you want. You're trying to conflate eso with wow or some shit
It doesn't make sense but sometimes concessions are made for the sake of accessibility and allocating development resources efficiently and that's what makes ESO great. There's no end game because it's all end game. Every single area is rewarding whether you're 5 minutes in or 5000 hours in and I don't see the problem with that. The desire for power creep in MMORPGs is really dumb. Especially because it makes entering the game to play with your friend/guild/whatever unnecessarily difficult and time consuming.

Fuck you, retard. Level scaling in an MMO is fucking garbage you fucking fuck.
It's garbage everywhere. There's no reason to ever use it.

You're right, I just love explaining to friends that they'll have to spend 100 hours leveling up in an MMO to even play with me and have 90% of the areas in the game die after the first month because everyone's holed up in the three "end game viable areas" of the game.

Last edited:

jungl

Augur
Level scaling is least of this games problem. The PVE content is extremely boring and repetitive. Character customization is a joke, you'll find more character customization in FPS games with your weapon loadout. Lastly the pvp is instagibbing waste of time. ESO is one of the worst mmorpgs I played. mmorpgs developers need to make games like dark age of camelot again where the PVE is actually fun and the pvp is varied and exciting. Casuals killed whatever mmorpgs had going for them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom