Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Elder Scrolls Online - gone B2P

Xenich

Cipher
From the looks of it the subscriber base didn't drop like we thought it would. It's actually doing pretty well.

I'd love to play it as a F2P MMO, so it's a real shame. Not worth $15 a month. Although from time to time I have longingly looked at the TESO timecard page on G2Play. :(

You think the game will all of a sudden improve when its free? Personally, shit is shit to me regardless if it is free or I have to pay for it. /shrug

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
I didn't say it will improve. I said I'd like to play it again, but for free. I had fun with it, but I'm over my days of paying subscription fees for videogames.

Xenich

Cipher
I didn't say it will improve. I said I'd like to play it again, but for free. I had fun with it, but I'm over my days of paying subscription fees for videogames.

I would gladly pay a sub for a worthy game, but unfortunately there have not been any worthy games for years. All of the games are worthless FTP models or Console gimmick games.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
Bleh, still have the aftertaste.

This game makes a basic mmorpuger mistake - the armor sets are fucking lame. All of them are just catsuits with different pauldrons and knee/elbow pads.

http://eso-fashion.com/blacksmithing-by-style/

Rare case of a game with vanity options, where you don't care what you're wearing - everything looks shit (except argonian armors because they resemble acheronian designs from AoC).

Also: great subscription system. Even if you have an active sub, you have keep paypal/card data for automatic payment - deleting them suspends your account and you can't log in.

Norfleet

This game makes a basic mmorpuger mistake - the armor sets are fucking lame. All of them are just catsuits with different pauldrons and knee/elbow pads.
The knee pads are important. You wouldn't want to spend the rest of your days as a guard, would you? Without those knee pads, you're one arrow away from retirement.

Also: great subscription system. Even if you have an active sub, you have keep paypal/card data for automatic payment - deleting them suspends your account and you can't log in.
Sounds very shady. Why would they want to KEEP that information unless they're doing something nefarious with it? That is how it gets conveniently "stolen".

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
The knee pads are important. You wouldn't want to spend the rest of your days as a guard, would you? Without those knee pads, you're one arrow away from retirement.
They're made like from 4 polygons - any string-launched projectile will easily penetrate them.

Sounds very shady. Why would they want to KEEP that information unless they're doing something nefarious with it? That is how it gets conveniently "stolen".
More likely it's because you'll forget to pull out in time and you'll have to stay a while longer.

Norfleet

I would think that if I were to forget anything, it would be forgetting to restock the card or account and thus bouncing. After how many times these companies have conveniently "misplaced" private user data and given it away to "hackers", who would trust them with anything but prepaid and short-stocked? I know how *I* treat customer data whose privacy I actually respect: I destroy it to prevent it from being captured by the enemy, so even if the servers are seized, they are empty and contain nothing.

Crevice tab

Savant
I would think that if I were to forget anything, it would be forgetting to restock the card or account and thus bouncing. After how many times these companies have conveniently "misplaced" private user data and given it away to "hackers", who would trust them with anything but prepaid and short-stocked? I know how *I* treat customer data whose privacy I actually respect: I destroy it to prevent it from being captured by the enemy, so even if the servers are seized, they are empty and contain nothing.

What makes you think the people behind ESO respect their customers in any way?

The whole game screams 'We want to rip you off and take every last penny you have with the least effort possible'.

Norfleet

I don't. That's why I immediately accuse them of nefarious intent, because they've long since exhausted the benefit of the doubt.

Thane Solus

Arcane
You guys are too edgy, or have no mmorpg gaming culture. Compared to what thrash is available on the market now, ESO is good. Decent combat system, non lol art direction, decent crafting which actually matters, no auction house, so player guilds economy based, lots of interesting places to visit and explore, quests are ok, since they are disguised with decent dialog, not go kill 10 fuckers, go kill some dudes, because they are bad also hate DU, and so on. Its good theme park mmo, and i fucking hate theme park mmos.

Could they do it better? fuck yeah, i want housing, i want villages, strongholds, sieges, player own houses/guilds/structure, etc. Buts its not bad at all, compared to other fantasy mmos out there. I think the most butthurt comes from clueless non mmo gamers, that thought that this is gona be skyrim with 2-3 players around them...

Its not Ultima Online, Asherons Call or EVE, but for a fantasy mainstream mmo, its good, and i dont see it go free to play(that will kill it instantly, but they could make more money i guess..) like SWTOR or other shit, but who know, its jewmax after all.

Much better, than i expected, and i played 90% of the mmos in the last 14 years (-minus 1 gazilion asian trash mmos). If they released a good housing system, extend crafting and player economy and player holdinsg, i could play this for months, even with the popamole pvp (that means no full loot on death, for you popamole console gamers).

/boooooo

MMO on single players forums are bad idea since most of the people barely played 1-2 mmo games in their life, one of them being the retarded farm ville of mmos (WoW) or Runescape or some other weird shit, so they dont know what is out there, what cool games were and done great things (Ultima Online, Asherons Call, SWG, Anarchy Online, EVE, Lineage 2(awesome siege system), DAOC and so on) and what is it available now and how shitty/good are they compared to the past or the present...

You are what you eat... (or play, watch, create and read)

Last edited:

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
You guys are too edgy, or have no mmorpg gaming culture. Compared to what thrash is available on the market now, ESO is good.
I get why some people would play this game, it would probably be my first choice when they would turn off TSW and AoC. But almost all the stuff I care about is pretty shit in ESO. "Good" is the enemy of "the best".

Decent combat system, non lol art direction, decent crafting which actually matters, no auction house, so player guilds economy based, lots of interesting places to visit and explore, quests are ok, since they are disguised with decent dialog, not go kill 10 fuckers, go kill some dudes, because they are bad also hate DU, and so on. Its good theme park mmo, and i fucking hate theme park mmos.
They've tried doing some better-than-shit quests, but quest compass ruined everything - "find clues about a murder" and then you get a waypoint to the correct shelf in the correct inn in the correct city WTF??? They stuffed every area with 60+ quests that didn't even require reading what they're about. I started skipping dialogues after the first area, because they were so bland.

I must be spoiled by TSW, where you have to actually read stuff and figure out where to go, follow blood trails etc. Even simpler Age of Conan didn't have that shit - when the quest was about finding something, you had to look for it. WAR was popamole in regard to quests, but it had lots of hidden stuff, so you had a chance to get off the rails.

The art direction was "lol" for me - despite the relatively high-end graphics, not once I wanted to make a screenshot, all the armors looked super cheap. Writing/characters were laughable.

Could they do it better? fuck yeah, i want housing, i want villages, strongholds, sieges, player own houses/guilds/structure, etc. Buts its not bad at all, compared to other fantasy mmos out there. I think the most butthurt comes from clueless non mmo gamers, that thought that this is gona be skyrim with 2-3 players around them...
I don't give a shit about most of that, but sieges were done quite well and I actually had fun with that (and PvP overall) for 2-3 weeks. Maybe I would play this game longer if there was more content, but after a month I had basically nothing else to achieve (except maybe becoming the emperor) and fucking around in such banal shit boring world wasn't very exciting.

Much better, than i expected, and i played 90% of the mmos in the last 14 years (-minus 1 gazilion asian trash mmos). If they released a good housing system, extend crafting and player economy and player holdinsg, i could play this for months, even with the popamole pvp (that means no full loot on death, for you popamole console gamers).
You are what you eat... (or play, watch, create and read)
Indeed :smug:

Last edited:

Thane Solus

Arcane
I must be spoiled by TSW, where you have to actually read stuff and figure out where to go, follow blood trails etc. Even simpler Age of Conan didn't have that shit - when the quest was about finding something, you had to look for it. WAR was popamole in regard to quests, but it had lots of hidden stuff, so you had a chance to get off the rails.

The art direction was "lol" for me - despite the relatively high-end graphics, not once I wanted to make a screenshot, all the armors looked super cheap. Writing/characters were laughable.

Thanks to WoW, yes we have quests waypoints, it sucks but it doesnt bother me that much, because for the first time in years, i actually explored in a themepark mmo and found cool locations, quests etc. In a truly sandbox mmo, i probably uninstall it day 1 one, if it would have the shity theme park quest system with waypoints.

WAR was excellent in the PQ events, and got cool achievements and items through exploration, too bad the siege system was shit, changing every 30 mins which made it pointless until high level. (brofist for reminding me that, was an excellent PVE experience, and good PVP popamole experience, lots of fun with ORCs and Goblins:D)

For me here, i actually like the art direction, not many bright colors, environments are looking good, some locations great, armors are ok, some good, maybe a better diversity. I didnt say nothing about good writing, just that through its "cinematic experience" voice overs and decentish dialogue, hides that it will send you to kill 3 shemale wolfs.

Fuck man, we hit a new low, i am talking positive about a Bethesda game, that how low the fantasy mmo reached these years...

I needed my MMO fantasy fix, with a good crafting and some exploration, and no WoW combat, but most likely, i wont play more than a month.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
WAR was epic zerg popamole, but there was something curious about it - wandering The Inevitable City and stumbling upon secrets, going behind the enemy lines to get lore etc. ...and epic lags during fortress sieges, where you could walk in plain sight past a few dozen enemy players because they couldn't react :D

When I'm talking about armor and art design in general I have this in mind - Age of Conan (2008) armors have more character and diversity:

When looking at ESO armors, I have a feeling everything is the same:

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
Compared to what thrash is available on the market now, ESO is good.

Buts its not bad at all, compared to other fantasy mmos out there.

Its not Ultima Online, Asherons Call or EVE, but for a fantasy mainstream mmo, its good

Why would anyone play something that's good for an MMO, when you could be playing a non-MMO that's legitimately good?

Thane Solus

Arcane
Compared to what thrash is available on the market now, ESO is good.

Buts its not bad at all, compared to other fantasy mmos out there.

Its not Ultima Online, Asherons Call or EVE, but for a fantasy mainstream mmo, its good

Why would anyone play something that's good for an MMO, when you could be playing a non-MMO that's legitimately good?

ah... what kind of question is that?

Because they want to play a mmo? you know guilds, trading, players vs shemale player, groups, common goals etc? In the past people had lots of fun in mmo due to grouping and guild based activities (no, not raiding, FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!) these days, most of mmo players play alone, but they are still groups that have lot of fun, even if the game is mediocre at best.

If you are not into mmos, you are not loosing much these days, so you could have much more fun by playing Mein Kampf, Skyrimz or Oblivious.... or DA-I which is a single player mmo.... (why?!!)

My point is that the game is not bad, problem is, that they spent too much money on voice overs and god spaghetti monster knows what, instead of having open world housing/pvp/clan housing/building/castle + better commerce maybe even boats like in Darkfall (fuck AA). Due to this, the game doesn't last long, most likely people play 1-2 months and quit, unless they bring persistent content to the table... Arche Age did that well with housing(farms and what not and commerce) + crafting. Unfortunately has a terrible combat(standard WOW+action shit), horrible Quests system, horrible UI and art direction (good armors and weapons models tho), and of course free to wank business model...

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Not hard to believe, I sent a mail to Zenimax support asking for a couple of days of game time to see if I was interested in resubscribing. After playing... It's a single player mmo now more than ever, no one does dungeons, grouping tool doesn't work, Craglorn (the group pve zone) is empty. Worse, the grind for post level cap veteran ranks os worse than at release as they apparently nerfed exp

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
F2P in three months. Took longer to crash and burn than I thought.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
That surprises me, actually. I thought the game still had loads of subs.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
white-flag.jpg

:australia:

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
It couldn't possibly be that they're removing old SKUs in preparation for another promotion that will coincide with the release of the champion system, one year anniversary, and/or console release...

edit:

Since the orriginal article going online, an EB Games spokesperson has confirmed the following with MCV Pacific.

"This is just part of a normal stock recall. Post-Christmas we ask stores to send back anything that they may have too much of in store. This time we included many titles, including The Evil Within, Destiny and The Elder Scrolls Online."

http://www.mcvpacific.com/news/read...oval-just-part-of-normal-stock-recall/0143646

So two other enormously successful titles have also had copies recalled, i.e. this doesn't mean shit.

Last edited:

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Nope

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom