Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Elder Scrolls Online - gone B2P

set

Cipher
The dungeon discussion is pointless, because, as the video explains, they don't actually give any useful xp/loot/money rewards beside a few chests to lockpick. And you can find those in the open world too, at slightly lower density. If you have to split a dungeon's worth of chests between four people, you might as well go and do something else.

Notice that the guy who did the video only did dungeons because his main quest was bugged. Dungeons exist mostly for fun and for learning TESO's complex battle system, not for any tangible rewards.

If Bubbles is admitting this then I wonder what rational people see in this system. Dungeons are pointless in an MMO? What are you supposed to do?!

Delterius

Arcane
RPS review: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/04/07/impressions-the-elder-scrolls-online/

All in all, I cannot honestly recommend it. Even with the pitched, wavering skirmishes of PvP, I don’t really know who this game is for. It certainly doesn’t feel like it’s for Elder Scrolls fans. And MMO lovers will easily get their fix from more light-hearted alternatives. Alternatives, I should point out, which will not cost them £40 upfront, followed by a further £8.99 a month in subscription fees. My short playthrough was an excursion into drab and humourless world, full of people and things I really couldn’t bring myself to care about. It is obvious the quests have tried their best not to repeat the cardinal sins of other MMOs. But in doing so they only commit other, equally damning sins. Hackneyed dialogue, poor characterisation, a superficial sense of ‘threat’, and bugs. At its best The Elder Scrolls Online looks like a faithful addition to the lore. At its worst it is a derivative and uninventive anachronism. To me, it played sometimes like a Gameloft game. I actually feel nasty saying that. But I really don’t know what else to tell you.
Oh, thank the Elder Scroll of CHIM for that.

Double0Steven

Barely Literate
Will I be able to complete every single quest in this game with only one character (and one alliance)? Or do I have to create three seperate characters?

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
lol who read these hacks,not been like Skyrim is negative-check,didn't got emotionally engaged-check,care too much about lore over mechanics-check.:killit:

Will I be able to complete every single quest in this game with only one character (and one alliance)? Or do I have to create three seperate characters?

One can do all quests.

Last edited:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Other than graphics... is this game superior to WoW in any way?

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Still laughing at faithful lore recreation.
And quests having meanings hmmmm.
Let me show you some positive quotes from players who are pessimistic at first.
Oh wait never mind let me just post some quotes of people who actually played and cared:

The only way you have an issue with inventory is if you constantly try to open every single fucking thing in the world, and then horde all the crafting mats. Here's a clue: stop opening up everything you see just because.

I see. :3/5: for choices and consequences.

At the moment, I don't see a real need to group. If a bunch of solo players wander into the same dungeon or are doing the same quest and everyone hits the same boss, you all get the credit, the quest loot and the update. Why bother looking for a group at all? I'm pretty sure it's not what they intended but they've made it easier to follow each other. kill the big baddie and then all go their separate ways to explore. This is what I see everyone doing. It makes more sense than a group. I can take my time, read the books, unlock chests, find the skyshard, not worry about people who want to power level or have previously explored an area and I can still complete group quests. In fact, I think this is the only way to play outside of PvP, which I haven't experienced yet. I can understand people who play for a bit, quit and come back for big expansions now and then. It's probably what I'll do.

Sounds like a nice Public Quest feature from WAR. Getting credit for dungeon kills...oh, dungeons are open for everyone? Not instanced? Interesting. :3/5:

If you are into cooking then you probably want to open everything. But then you can't complain about inventory space.

Limited inventory space = Hardcore. I approve. For too long games enable players too much. Limit them and they suddenly cry like it's a missing feature to be able to loot EVERYTHING.

Don't be absurd. They can't complain about a system that requires a shitload of inventory juggling without the game providing the inventory to support it? What exactly *is* fair game to complain about then?

Go back to cooking mama, filthy casual. :decline:

Hey, I pick up 5 million fucking shitty crafting materials in an hour! Voluntarily! WHAAA I WANT MORE SPACE. Give me a fucking break. If you want to support multiple crafting endeavors, you're gonna have to take the 5 minutes and port back to town and hit up a bank. With 2k gold investment you have 80 fucking slots to deal with. Not including a horse you can train for more. That's on top of 60 slots in your bank.

Even then, you can spend a few minutes selling junk to vendors every once in a while.

What do you expect them to do in these types of games? Give you infinite bank and inventory space? Just be happy they didn't implement a shitty weight system.

See? Learn2Logistics, fuckwads. :brodex:

Craglorn is the first adventure zone announced today, keeping up with the new-ish tradition of not releasing all the content so you can keep some to impress people a few days aftr launch. Anyway, end game stuff.

Sweet jesus that combat looks boring

Ah, heretic. With nothing to backup that statement. Pathetic. I wanted to refute this point but since I don't play the game myself, I leave it to another connoisseur:

All MMO combat is boring to watch especially if studios who don't know how to play their own game attempt to do it and make a "cool" video.
I find the combat average to decent. TERA is the best MMO combat for a reference point.

:rpgcodex: Sliced bread, motherfuckers.

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
If you want to review an MMORPG make sure if
  • it is running ads on your website
  • if it isn't running ads on your website, headline your review with unpopular or fringe opinions so as to generate more traffic
  • if you've generated enough traffic, run ads on your website

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Do these people even MMO? Their client download completely blows. It downloads the base, unpatched game, then downloads all the patches afterwards. What a waste of time and bandwidth.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
GW2 downloads the latest build straight away and I'm pretty sure I didn't have to wait for patches to download when I downloaded WoW either. I'm pretty sure when I downloaded Neverwinter it also downloaded all the most current gamefiles instead of downloading the unpatched client and then downloading the patches afterwards.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
No GW2 didn't downloaded last version for me ,reinstalled few months ago and had to patch 7 gb on top,also just tried to install WoW it says 22gb and I'm sure the game is above 30gb.

Also how big is the patching,2-3gb?That's 15-20 min of download with good 3-4Mb/s

Last edited:

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Tried this out at my cousins place last night. It didn't seem shit, but it wasn't very impressive either. No point in switching if you're already playing another MMO, and if you're burned out on MMO's, it's not bringing anything new to the table. A lot of MMO's are cheaper, just as pretty, have better combat - and so on. I guess if you've never played an MMO, and are an Elder Scrolls fan, then this would be a good place to delve into them. Otherwise, might as well skip it.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
...A lot of MMO's are cheaper...

Got ESO for 45$ can you give me examples with these allegedly a lot of cheaper ones?I can think only for FFXIV,WoW need gazillion expansions and...that's it,a lot of demos out there for sure,but if you want the full game...yea good luck

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom