Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Elder Scrolls Online - gone B2P

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
For a game with a sub fee in 2014, I think they could really have benefited from making it something like $30. It would encourage more people to at least try it for the first month, or at least added 60 days game time to the purchase. But a game that costs full price in 2014 with a sub fee isn't very appealing. The only reason I bought it was because I got 25% off at GMG and was curious.

If I can get at least a month's worth of entertainment out of it, I'll be content with my purchase, but if I had to pay $60 I wouldn't even have considered buying it.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
In principle I agree with you,but can't see this coming from "AAA" publisher for an MMO that is not a private company.In the end people that are even slightly interested will buy the game(you and I are examples of that).

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Still loving the questing, exploring, crafting and whatnot...

Dungeons on the other hand, fuck Zenimax for giving me no exp, no loot and a shitty job as a healer always out of mana. They are only good for the first run where you get a skill point out of them, otherwise... pass.

Also, bout time they got on and moved their european servers to europe, tired of this random lag.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Still loving the questing, exploring, crafting and whatnot...

Dungeons on the other hand, fuck Zenimax for giving me no exp, no loot and a shitty job as a healer always out of mana. They are only good for the first run where you get a skill point out of them, otherwise... pass.

Also, bout time they got on and moved their european servers to europe, tired of this random lag.

It's shitty that mobs don't give xp,but what's the point of running low level dungeons more than once anyway?Loot farming is pretty pointless before 50 and thatwill out level quests so you will not get full xp from them.

On a side note some of the dialog is pretty good ,particularly that Tharn dude and except Jennifer Hale's character didn't saw any cringeworthy stuff so far. The overall tone of the game is little more high fantasy than I would like it to be.No idea why is 16+ rated and I'm playing Dunmer,aren't they suppose to be more bros?ESO is itching me to play Morrowind ,didn't understand English well when I played it,is writing better or more heavy?

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
lol some posters on the Codex.How is ESO looking like RIFT,granted I only played the beta 3-4 years ago ,but I'm sure it had more colours than green and brown.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
So in order to activate my key I have to choose a subscription plan, which then pre-authorizes the amount on my credit card. I have a student card which does not currently have enough cash on it for the subscription amount. Due to the fact that paying the money into my credit card means it will only reflect as available sometime in the next three days, I can be forced to wait up to three days for this amount to clear.

GG Bethesda. Real fucking A making a game that comes with free gametime pre-authorize a payment on your credit card a month before you actually have to pay.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Are you perhaps mentally challenged, BlackAdderBG? FF 14, Wildstar, ESO and WoW are the only ones charging a monthly fee on-top of the price of buying the box. AFAIK, everything else is F2P. My point was that you can get just as good MMO's for free, or significantly cheaper. Isn't ESO still $60 to buy and $15 per month? I can play TERA or Neverwinter for free and get better combat. I can play AIEON for free and enjoy prettier graphics and models. I can play TOR for free and get voice-acting and decently-written quests. I can play LotrO for free and get a much more lore-friendly roleplaying experience. I can play fucking Minecraft and have a better crafting and player-housing game for $10. I can play Scarlet Blade for free and get gazillion busty babes on my face instead of Bethesda's flat-as-a-board female models :D

I just don't see any reason for an experienced MMO-gamer to switch to ESO over the competition.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
So in order to activate my key I have to choose a subscription plan, which then pre-authorizes the amount on my credit card. I have a student card which does not currently have enough cash on it for the subscription amount. Due to the fact that paying the money into my credit card means it will only reflect as available sometime in the next three days, I can be forced to wait up to three days for this amount to clear.

GG Bethesda. Real fucking A making a game that comes with free gametime pre-authorize a payment on your credit card a month before you actually have to pay.

Contact support and they will activate your 30 days without legit card.

Are you perhaps mentally challenged, BlackAdderBG? FF 14, Wildstar, ESO and WoW are the only ones charging a monthly fee on-top of the price of buying the box. AFAIK, everything else is F2P. My point was that you can get just as good MMO's for free, or significantly cheaper. Isn't ESO still $60 to buy and $15 per month? I can play TERA or Neverwinter for free and get better combat. I can play AIEON for free and enjoy prettier graphics and models. I can play TOR for free and get voice-acting and decently-written quests. I can play LotrO for free and get a much more lore-friendly roleplaying experience. I can play fucking Minecraft and have a better crafting and player-housing game for $10. I can play Scarlet Blade for free and get gazillion busty babes on my face instead of Bethesda's flat-as-a-board female models :D

I just don't see any reason for an experienced MMO-gamer to switch to ESO over the competition.

Hahaha shitty grindy Korean MMOs and p2w demos.:hero:

Last edited:

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Contact support and they will activate your 30 days without legit card.

I already have, but will that happen today? Knowing normal tech support response times, the funds will likely reflect in my cc long before they respond to my ticket.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Wow. I emailed tech support less than an hour ago and they've already resolved it for me. They activated my game code and instead of the code giving me 30 days of free game time, they gave me a 30 day game time card to activate. That's good support, I gotta hand them that.

Still a ridiculous system, though. What about people who don't have credit cards? They would have to go buy a game time card on top of their game purchase just to get access to their FREE 30 days of playtime.

Self-Ejected

ZodoZ

Self-Ejected
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Bethesda have no idea how MMO works

All too familiar Loot Ninja. The new twist on this old strategy is that this particular YouTube twit took 8 minutes to painfully explain something that is well known in other MMOs & w/o making an in-game video about it, wasting everyone's time in the process.
Ninja'ing has happened in literally every MMO I have ever experienced, from Everquest onwards. Only interesting thing to me is that history repeats and there is always some player who will undermine a PUG's progress and teamplay for their own agenda. Is there really a new generation of naive MMO players ripe for the pickins? Might have to sign up after all, because if these noobs are shocked and confused by that, my Grief-Stick could do with a good polishing.

Meh.

On the other hand it did take WOW until somewhere around WotLK to correct looting exploits. Even then looting could be sketchy when raiding with other guilds.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
System is obviously in place to hook people who tend to forget about recurring subscriptions for additional money.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Ninja'ing has happened in literally every MMO I have ever experienced, from Everquest onwards. Only interesting thing to me is that history repeats and there is always some player who will undermine a PUG's progress and teamplay for their own agenda. Is there really a new generation of naive MMO players ripe for the pickins? Might have to sign up after all, because if these noobs are shocked and confused by that, my Grief-Stick could do with a good polishing.

It's probably someone's first MMO. Same way you heard people raving about "whoa, these bosses require you to get out of AoE" or "watch out for phases, man" in FF14: ARR. Every big name MMO ends up claiming someone's cherry, it's the fact of life.

Playing the 'serial long-term ninja' game used to be my reason d'entre in MUDs. Actually, that was also the main reason for 'roleplay' requirements - it meant you were allowed to be a dick, but in a reasonably logical way (so you can backstab your group to get the sword of fucking awesomeness, but random griefing would often be frowned upon). Particularly when settings were dynamic, based on a karma/morality system, (typically the villains' main town would have mid-level street mobs, to require you to actually play the game for a bit before backstabbing allies and clocking up evil points) - you could play a reasonably long-term game of levelling up in the 'good' faction for a while, with the aim of bringing them down in the hardest way possible when you backstab them.

Of course, you could only do it once, and most of the old MUDs would have a limited number of resurrections (usually 9 or so total, or sometimes a certain number that refreshed each time you levelled up), and then you're stuck trying not to permadeath while having to work with the other serial backstabbers, so C+C:)

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
blackadderbg confirmed to suffer from post-financal-spilling-butthurt-syndrome. symptoms include major butthurt, pointless crusades against any viewpoint that confronts the own decision to waste a lot of money on a shitty product and/or service, dumb shitposting and general inability to get laid.

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Bethesda have no idea how MMO works

All too familiar Loot Ninja. The new twist on this old strategy is that this particular YouTube twit took 8 minutes to painfully explain something that is well known in other MMOs & w/o making an in-game video about it, wasting everyone's time in the process.

Meh.

On the other hand it did take WOW until somewhere around WotLK to correct looting exploits. Even then looting could be sketchy when raiding with other guilds.

you're a fucking faggot, all MMORPGs have not only loot ninjaing but sport full get-shit-on drop everything you wear on death mode. themepark faggots with their casual bullshit-sold-as-MMORPG need not apply to this hardcore world of manly hardcore gamers.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Did my first public dungeon last night. Sort of found it by accident right outside of Daggerfall. Pleasant surprise, I must say.

Ran around doing spontaneous coop with both n00bs and higher-level characters. The dungeon wasn't overly large or complicated; its goals are to stop a particular Daedric baddie who lured you into the cave under false pretenses, so you have to work your way out.

I actually fell into a trap. They cleverly placed a hole that drops you down into a lair of snakes. There's no mercy. If you can't hack your way through them be prepared to respawn. Fortunately I'm a badass and I Conan'd my way, leaving a pile of them on the ground. Found a mini-boss (snake mother) in next room. Tough bitch -- had to wait for some help from other hapless fools in order to take her down. But this is cool: you HAVE to beat her in order to make it back up into the dungeon proper to finish it. I was surprised by this and pleased. It was innovative, but at the same time not a ham-fisted way to "trap" the player. It encouraged, rather forced, some cooperation, reminding me that this is indeed an MMO.

There are snippets of goodness in this game. They're few and far between, but they're there if you look for them.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
So now that this has been out for a few days, any word on when it's going free2play? It's been a while since Skyrim and I'm hankering for some more Elder Scrolls, but I don't want to pay for a half-assed MMO.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
So now that this has been out for a few days, any word on when it's going free2play? It's been a while since Skyrim and I'm hankering for some more Elder Scrolls, but I don't want to pay for a half-assed MMO.
TESOvius hasn't blown up yet (gotta have some kind of nickname similar to TORtanic).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom