Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Elder Scrolls Online - gone B2P

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
Oh man I am feeling my first feeling of MMO regret, I want to keep playing since I've spent $90 on this game... and I like the Elder Scrolls. But every time I play, the flaws keep coming up. Worst of all, I forgot when my subscription is charged.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Joe doesn't like it, does this mean it is good?

The thing with Angry Joe is, he's confirmation bias personified. He hates and likes whatever the masses of Gamespot/IGN/RPS/Polygon etc fans like. His 'career' begins and ends with saying the things people want to hear. All the popamoles loved Fallout 3, so Angry Joe loved Fallout 3, all the popamoles thought Guild Wars 2 was the biggest revolution in MMO history, so Angry Joe sang its praises to the high heavens. Right now it's popular to hate ESO, so Angry Joe will hate ESO.

I'm not denying that from time to time he says something that's actually true, but Angry Joe doesn't say anything that his fans wouldn't want him to say. His opinions aren't worth much because they're just a reflection of what his fans are already saying. His fans like him because they can point to him and say "hey look, a popular youtuber agrees with me so my opinion is completely validated!"

I mean, this is the average Angry Joe fan:

i pre ordered this game in hopes that it would be as good as skyrim (which i played 300 hrs on cause it was amazing) only to discover that i would only play a bit past the tutorial and get bored...i really hate this game as part of the elder scrolls trilogy!

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Whenever I see Angry Joe I think of that one time where Geoff Keighley (who is a douchebag but so is Angry Joe) made him look completely silly during an interview and Angry Joe made a video crying about it and presenting himself as the sacred warrior of the poor gaming community. The butthurt was so delicious, just thinking of it makes me smile:love:

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Oh that time when he bitched at Geoff Keighley because his awards show didn't show enough upcoming PC games? Geoff Keighley then asked him which games he would like to see and Angry Joe had to fumble to think of any. That spic is good for a laugh, I'll give him that.

Delterius

Arcane
Whenever I see Angry Joe I think of that one time where Geoff Keighley (who is a douchebag but so is Angry Joe) made him look completely silly during an interview and Angry Joe made a video crying about it and presenting himself as the sacred warrior of the poor gaming community. The butthurt was so delicious, just thinking of it makes me smile:love:
Link pls.

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Link pls.

It's basically 24 minutes of :butthurt:

He even seems as if he would just start crying in some scenes.

Delterius

Arcane
You can tell that Joe lost his shit, he prepared himself for a comfier interview and couldn't really make his arguments in a sound manner. To the point that, and I hope, he started making new ones to compensate. Hopefully he learned to be more versatile after that.

I don't even know what the fuck he expected me to think at 5:00.

6:00 Yeah, there could have been an MMO category 4 years ago (I don't know, maybe there is one now). But no sane man would bring up some unknown mmo and FF XIV OF ALL THINGS (you know, the game that caused SQUARE ENIX of all companies to apologize to their fans - basically sinking their own TORtanic by ordering the captain to plant bombs all over the deck) as examples of notable games that the show failed to talk about. Star Trek Online? He says it himself that it wasn't very good. Free to play shit? Anyone worth their salt knows that the only MMOs that are worth it are either subscription or free to demo ones. Who knows, maybe there wasn't a lot of things to 'recognize' in that genre.

7:00 Apparently he didn't know about something that is public, meaning who's picked to nominate shit on the VGAs.

8:00 AVALANCHE Lowest common denominator! Not every gamer is an idiot! MOM's couch. Gratuitous nudity! Essentially the guy went full Codex. As in the entire forum at once. In a very schizophrenic way.

The interesting is that this all happened way before Doritosgate and the interview would have had a much more different connotation then.

Black

Arcane
Anyone who tries to talk on behalf of "gamers", whether he truly does or is just full of shit and delusions, like mildly vexed ignazio here, deserves a bullet to the head.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
skyrim.png

And that is why it's worth $15/month

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
I hit Coldharbour last night. I want to see if I can rush my last 7 levels because I want to hit 50 and then start a Sorcerer alt in the Ebonheart Pact.

People who aren't bashing the shit out of this game together with the Codex hivemind are DUMBFUCKS!!!.

:lol:

Self-Ejected

ZodoZ

Self-Ejected
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I know it and saying it all along but she's just a friggin addict... We probably abandon this one after a month like most others...
:negative:

MMORPGs are Human Hamster Wheels © without the physical movement.

human-wheel.jpg

MMO addiction could be an indication of a deeper issue of a psychological nature.
I won't illustrate from personal experience what can go wrong due to too many hours or too much personal investment in WoW, GW2, Age of Conan, EVE Online or w/e game it is that captures your interest.
Bottom line: If there are life warning signs flashing because of online habits try to step back and address those. If your happily enjoying work, school, personal/family relationships + having time for online games who is anyone to judge you and your success and version of happiness.

Mortmal

Arcane
Link pls.

It's basically 24 minutes of :butthurt:

He even seems as if he would just start crying in some scenes.

No he's not butthurt , he got a nice paycheck from activision to bash this game and acting accordingly . Being very critical of the game you could end with a score of 7/10 or 6/10 at worse mainly cause of the bugs , we are clearly testing for the upcoming console version , even the interface is very consolish .
MMO are a big industry , elderscrolls are mainstream, skyrim sold a lot, the average gamer knows about it, thats exactly targeting WOW customers . Its obvious there's lot of money involved into that and if you subscribe to ESO you will likely stop subscribing WOW ,activision definitively dont want that to happen.

balmorar

Arcane
Queued Possibly Retarded The Real Fanboy Edgy
Joe doesn't like it, does this mean it is good?
It is a f2p quality game still in closed beta state for 60$ + 15$ a month + 20$ for a horse. If you really want to play it just wait until it goes f2p after summer.
They are friends now. Just to burst your bubble.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
State of the Game address by Matt Firor himself:

As it’s now two and a half weeks since we officially launched on April 4, I think it’s a good time to bring everyone up to date on The Elder Scrolls Online service, maintenance windows, and what we’re doing to add content, make the game better, and address some issues that are near and dear to the community.

First and foremost, please know that we are doing everything we can to combat the gold spammers and bots – especially ones that “camp” dungeon bosses – that you see in game. I play the game every day; I see them too, and yes, they drive me crazy. We have had a daily running battle with them ever since the game launched – moving them from global chat, to in-game email, to creating bogus guilds and inviting players – and we continue to take measures to keep them away from players, even when it isn’t always apparent that we are. Most of the battle has been on the back end of the game – we regularly ban accounts involved in spam and bot activity – our teams are working on better systems to identify those accounts and characters that are doing black market activities, and we’re also working on some game feature refinement to make it harder for them to acquire gold in the first place. Fighting black market activity like gold selling spam and farming bots is a marathon, not a sprint, but we will do whatever we can to reduce their impact on the game.

The scope of the black market activity accounts for up to 85% of Customer Service emails/calls. Because of this huge influx of contact relating to this one issue, our CS team has been slower to react to other problems than planned – our sincere apologies if you have been held up for a long period of time waiting for CS to respond to you. Again, our goal is to keep this activity away from you so you don’t have to contact Customer Service in the first place.

Also very visible was last week’s gold “duping” (duplication) bug – where players could manipulate stacks of items in their inventory to create copies. We fixed the problem and banned the accounts of the worst offenders And yes, we erroneously caught up some legitimate accounts in that ban, for which we apologize – all erroneously banned accounts were reinstated within about 8 hours. Contrary to some reports, exploitation of this bug did not result in destabilizing the ESO economy in any way. We did turn off guild banks to limit the spread of the problem, but that was only until we put up a new version of the game that fixed the exploit later that evening.

All of these fixes have resulted in several more maintenance periods than we planned for – we know that everyone wants to play the game and hates downtime – but please be aware that every time we take down the servers for maintenance, it is either to fix a problem or put up an update that makes the game better. We are working on shortening the length of maintenances, this will get better over time.

So, here’s the list of our more prominent fixes since launch, as well as info about ongoing support that we’re doing for ESO:
  • Fixed the bug where a small percentage of players lost their expansion bank slots.
  • Fixed quest-blocking bugs, especially ones in Coldharbour, that prevented players from completing either a main quest step, or the Coldharbour zone.
  • Fixed many other quest bugs not related to the above where items/NPCs didn’t spawn properly.
  • Fixed the Greenshade (Aldmeri Dominion zone) problem, which caused the zone to crash every few hours. This one was fixed on 4/4, but was a problem during early access.
  • Fixed two dupe issues: the above one involving stacked items, and another (on a much smaller scale) involving crafting hireling emails.
  • Put many back-end fixes and procedures in place to block black market gold farmer activity.
We still have much to do – there still other quest problems on our fix list, most of them involving the situation where they become “de-synched” from the zone and don’t spawn their items or NPCs properly. We are in process of putting up our first major update to the game on our Play Test Server (PTS), which includes many updates to the game, including class and weapon ability tweaks, content fixes, and updates to almost all game systems. It also contains our new end-game Adventure Zone, Craglorn, with Veteran content aimed at 4 and 12-man groups. So stay tuned for PTS patch notes for all the other fixes that we’ve been working on. This is a major update to the game, so it will be on PTS for at least a week or 10 days for testing before we take it live.

We’re working on fixing problems, we’re combatting black market gold farmers, and we have a hefty new patch coming shortly. ESO is already an awesome game, and it will only get better from here. Thanks for your patience and support, and I’ll see you in Tamriel. - Matt

It sounds like they're going full steam ahead - the rumored sales numbers of up to 2 million copies probably gave them a lot of confidence.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
I've always thought some sort of reward for community-policing of bots could be effective. Whether it's some sort of stipend for confirmed bot reporting or even just some sort of meaningless counter that keeps track of your personal reporting efforts.

It's extremely strange seeing bots in the game. They're eerie. That 85% figure is a shame.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Last time in WAR Online you simply right click on gold spammer and select 'Report for spamming'
This automatically adds the guy to ignore and reports him to GM.
What's so hard about this really?

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
They are friends now. Just to burst your bubble.

So? Doesn't change the fact that he acted like an unprofessional idiot in the above mentioned video. But it's cool they are friends now. Maybe they can hang out eating Doritos and enjoy some Mountain Dew some time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom