Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Elder Scrolls The Elder Scrolls VI - officially announced but you'll have to wait

Guess the Province/Location

• Hammerfell

• High Rock

• Valenwood

• Elsweyr

• Black Marsh

• Summerset Isle

• Daggerfall

• Akavir (kingcomrade)

Results are only viewable after voting.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
High Rock? What a disappointment. I was expecting something more exotic. Even Hammerfell would be more interesting.

Then again isn't Orsinium in High Rock?

Men they already fucked Cyrodiil and Skyrim, do really believe they can do world that isn't boring generic trash? If they got to set it in Black Marsh they would cut all the trees and give a bullshit in-game explanation like this: "After his many adventures in Skyrim the Dragonborn traveled to Black Marsh. There he got really annoyed with the mosquitoes so he proceeded to burn down the entire country. The Argonians tried to bravely defend their homeland but unfortunately were no match to Dovahkiin's 'Fus Ro Da'."

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
High Rock consists of several Kingdoms, they can make it as big as they want. In fact, it would probably be a better idea to limit themselves to a small part of High Rock, as trying to fit multiple Kingdoms into the world map is going to make it even more obvious how small the world is. Skyrim could barely present a diverse, infighting province, and that was a single, until recently unified Kingdom.
Including multiple kingdoms in a greatly scaled-down version of High Rock wouldn't be any different from including multiple thanedoms in TES V: Skyrim, which encompassed the entire province, or multiple counties in TES IV: Oblivion, which encompassed the entirety of what should have been a vast, densely-populated Imperial Province. These would have been better games if they had covered a smaller geographical area while being less scaled-down, but I doubt Bethesda has learned any lessons in this regard.

800px-TamrielMap.jpg

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Why would they change winning formula? I'm sure it's gonna have ground-breaking graphics, because TES always excelled at that, but otherwise it's gonna be generic Bethesda game filled with low-effort content.

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
High Rock consists of several Kingdoms, they can make it as big as they want. In fact, it would probably be a better idea to limit themselves to a small part of High Rock, as trying to fit multiple Kingdoms into the world map is going to make it even more obvious how small the world is. Skyrim could barely present a diverse, infighting province, and that was a single, until recently unified Kingdom.
Including multiple kingdoms in a greatly scaled-down version of High Rock wouldn't be any different from including multiple thanedoms in TES V: Skyrim, which encompassed the entire province, or multiple counties in TES IV: Oblivion, which encompassed the entirety of what should have been a vast, densely-populated Imperial Province. These would have been better games if they had covered a smaller geographical area while being less scaled-down, but I doubt Bethesda has learned any lessons in this regard.

800px-TamrielMap.jpg
Well, the Thanedoms (Jarldoms?) of Skyrim would have more in common than the fully independent Kingdoms of High Rock, is what I'm saying.

The Rift and Eastmarch should pretty much be separate countries with clear differences in culture but they aren't, but the game somewhat gets away with it by not focusing on that fact, instead choosing to present the world as "the land of Skyrim".

If they're working on the same map scale as in Skyrim and divide the world into 5 Kingdoms, they aren't gonna pull it off. The different Kingdoms will feel samey and indistinguishable (ask a normie to describe the culture, colors and history of the Pale vs. Falkreath for example), and the fact that the game world is presented as 5 Kingdoms is going to make it even more obvious how small the world is when you walk through Kingdom after Kingdom within minutes. Normies don't raise an eyebrow over the fact that Solitude consists of 20 buildings, but even they would joke about the pint-sized Kingdoms of The Elder Scrolls VI.

PS. I'm not using "normie" in a pejorative sense, just as a term for non-nerds who couldn't give a shit about stuff like Tamrielic population metrics.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
As with any game I hope it's good but if it comes out after Starfield we should expect launch by 2024 or so. Bethesda typically follows a tick-tock 2-4 year release schedule and if Starfield is out by 2020-2022 then TES VI will be out by 2024 or so. There is also rumors it will be a next gen game, and with Microsoft rumored to announce a new console by 2020 that will not be far off.

Turjan

Arcane
These would have been better games if they had covered a smaller geographical area while being less scaled-down, but I doubt Bethesda has learned any lessons in this regard.
I'm pretty sure that Bethesda learned that most people don't give a fuck about questions like that. As long as more people buy their games, including those that consider a question like this, there is objectively no lesson to learn for Bethesda. Also, remember that one of the major criticisms of Oblivion was that it looked too samey.

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
Bethesda announced bethesda.net 4 years ago now? Its still in beta.:D Like all their games.

Take however long it takes to release, then add 8 years for the fans to patch it.

Last edited by a moderator:

the_1990

Educated
I get the feeling it will be set in High Rock simply because they don't want a setting that is too aesthetically different from Skyrim.

Cross

Arcane
Why would they change winning formula? I'm sure it's gonna have ground-breaking graphics, because TES always excelled at that, but otherwise it's gonna be generic Bethesda game filled with low-effort content.
'Ground-breaking graphics' is a very weird way to describe Bethesda's Elder Scrolls (or their Fallout games, for that matter), when their graphics and animations have always looked like a joke compared to contemporary triple-A games. Ditto for their art direction post-Morrowind. Bethesda's genius has always been in marketing something that's just barely above shovelware in terms of production values as a premiere triple-A experience.

Deathsquid

Learned
'Ground-breaking graphics' is a very weird way to describe Bethesda's Elder Scrolls (or their Fallout games, for that matter), when their graphics and animations have always looked like a joke compared to contemporary triple-A games. Ditto for their art direction post-Morrowind. Bethesda's genius has always been in marketing something that's just a grade above shovelware in terms of production values in a premiere triple-A experience.
It's ground-breaking in the sense that when you think it hit the ground and can't get lower, it breaks that limit and keeps going down.

resized_ScreenShot607.jpg

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
Someone did a good analysis of the trailer.

They concluded that the screenshot was near the border of Hammerfell and High Rock.

So two provinces in one game maybe?

Last edited:

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
Bethesda have one single thing of interest they can provide us with, interesting lore and location to derp around in, eg. Morrowind. So instead what do we get, more generic high fantasy, I really hoped after Oblivion and Skyrim they might try something a bit different but looks like nope...

How did Morrowind even get created by this studio?

mfkndggrfll

Learned
Shitposter Bethestard
Bethesda have one single thing of interest they can provide us with, interesting lore and location to derp around in, eg. Morrowind. So instead what do we get, more generic high fantasy, I really hoped after Oblivion and Skyrim they might try something a bit different but looks like nope...

How did Morrowind even get created by this studio?

Morrowind is arguably the worst TES game and Oblivion is arguably the best. Im getting so sick of these fangays I think I'm going to make a long ass shit post to settle this once and for all.

Tel Velothi

Cipher
What a fucking joke... Nice generic render of land in 3D program than anyone with some skill can do, Beethches. And it's a boring medieval/new zealand shit which is not interesting or exotic in one bit.

But I guess the kids will like it

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
My guess is it's gonna be the whole of Tamriel AND/OR online multiplayer.
Like Ultima Online kind of sandbox.

(remember, they talked about technology having to catch up to their ideas. I first thought VR, but that doesn't seem as likely.)

the_1990

Educated
My guess is it's gonna be the whole of Tamriel AND/OR online multiplayer.
Like Ultima Online kind of sandbox.

(remember, they talked about technology having to catch up to their ideas. I first thought VR, but that doesn't seem as likely.)

Do you think it will have mod support tho?

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
That'd be tough to do in MP. But if they replaced mods with approved user-made content?
Absolutely, that's was EverQuest Next's entire model. Yeah, players would lose some personal customization, but Beth could still profit from player creativity and keep the game going longer with less effort.
(and optional single-client-based tweaks could probably still work, if they were more cosmetic and didn't somehow unbalance the game, or give them advantage)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom