Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The EVE online thread

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
The best game I will never play. I simply don't have time for it.

Caim

Arcane
Beauty about EVE is that you don't have to "play" it. Make sure you've got enough skills, put them all on the "to learn" list and come back after a week or so.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Only noobs actually pay for EVE. Bittervets play for free.

Anyway, the CFC/Imperium/Goonswarm/Something Awful, which I believe is still the largest player coalition/alliance in the game by far, have been pushed entirely out of all their nullsec space as a result of World War Bee. They hold no sovereignty anywhere. I'm not sure how long this has been the case, as I only sporadically pay attention.

Some are saying that Mittens (Emperor of Space and leader of the CFC, basically Cosmo-Hitler) hatched a plan wherein the Goons would simply withdraw from their territory, thus denying CCP the publicity (game news site headlines, Reddit posts, etc.) they'd get from an actual all-out war.

http://sov.space/

Last edited:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Please don't bring up the World of Darkness MMO, BECAUSE IT FILLS ME WITH SUCH FUCKING RAGE TO KNOW IT WAS CANCELED! :argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh:

Caim

Arcane
Please don't bring up the World of Darkness MMO, BECAUSE IT FILLS ME WITH SUCH FUCKING RAGE TO KNOW IT WAS CANCELED! :argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh:
It still makes me wonder how it was going to work though. Sure, Vampires are a proven concept but I am wondering about Werewolves and especially Mages. How the fuck do you adapt that line to a game that captures the essence of Mage while being playable at all?

Drakron

Arcane
They just saw White Wolf up for grabs and taken it, I dont think they had any kind of plan ... they fucked around for 9 years before throwing in the towel.

I would say it was more of a ego, in 06 EVE was strong and CCP was likely thinking on expanding but I doubt they had any plan for it back in 06 and as time progressed things changed for and in CCP, in the end this was just then thinking they had a opportunity to expand without any actual plan to expand, they effectively killed White Wolf even if, to be fair, its not that traditional table-top games arent in trouble but then again, Onyx Path.

Caim

Arcane
Yeah, Onyx Path has not been good to the World of Darkness so far.

Case in point, pretty much everything released past Demon: The Descent. Especially Beast.

the f2p expansion went online today.
as i predicted (maybe not here :V ) it's exactly like the buddy system without the need of a referral. 200% useless to returning veterans, almost everything is locked behind the paywall.
waste of time, waste of space. uninstalled.

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
Long time EVE player that likes to go back every now and again just to fly a ship and pretend the game is what Elite could have been.

Each time I go back I need to cough up Billions of ISK and it is getting to the point that in a few years I might get concerned about by cash reserve.

Quite interested in this approach as it will allow me to log back in and do some stuff. What exactly is the KEY QUESTION.

Interesting approach though, might regenerate the player base for a while.

"do some stuff": you can't use anything which wasn't blocked to trial accounts too, which amounts to fuck all.
you can die, that's it.

Tick Tock Crocodile

Is it worth getting into EVE at this stage? The MMO heyday was before my time, and now that I want to get into one I struggle to find any that are more sandbox with open griefing and less AFKers sitting in the town square, showing off their shiny new tails and horse dildos. This game is all that's ever suggested to me, but I really don't know about starting as a fresh player this far down the line.

Last edited by a moderator:

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Is it worth getting into EVE at this stage? The MMO heyday was before my time, and now that I want to get into one I struggle to find any that are more sandbox with open griefing and less AFKers sitting in the town square, showing off their shiny new tails and horse dildos. This game is all that's ever suggested to me, but I really don't know about starting as a fresh player this far down the line.

Of course not, no MMO is worth getting into unless you're there day 1.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Of course not, no MMO is worth getting into unless you're there day 1.

That's not entirely accurate. I started playing EVE in 2006, took long hiatuses in the interim, and eventually retired in 2012 with half a trillion ISK in cash and assets. I spent most of my time in lowsec (with a minor in wormholes and nullsec) and played with some of the best, most notably Agony Unleashed. The best fun I ever had in the game was flying interceptors in small-scale fights. Half a trillion in personal assets was 1%-er level in 2012, and Agony Unleashed is an elite and very old PvP corporation held in high regard.

Then again, I wouldn't necessarily recommend that anyone start playing EVE at this stage, either. The main reason I left EVE was because I started playing Tribes and realized that adrenaline and action can be had without a lot of downtime and waiting for gudfites to happen.

It's difficult to explain to outsiders, but there's a propaganda-like attitude that anyone can start playing EVE and within months become a space lord, as long as they're plucky and savvy enough. Technically accurate I suppose, yet for most people it's rarely so simple or straightforward. Also, at least half the stories about plucky, savvy newbies involve connected newbies (some guy's IRL friend, etc.) taken under the wing of veteran alliances or corporations.

Last edited:

Axie

Scholar
I used to be space drug dealer. Good job for newbs as you get quickly connected with 0.0 'big fishes' and lowsec small gang PvP-ers, as those groups consume boosters the most. From there it's easy to decide should you keep in business or go elsewhere (or both).

But yeah, for playing MMOs you need to be special.

Akselmo

Literate

Well, it is free to play (more like unlimited trial mode) now so might aswell. I've been playing on and off since 2010 and I'm shit in solo PVP, but I find it fun as fuck even I die almost every time. The skill points don't matter that much, it's more about picking your targets and making your guns hit the opponent while dodging their bullets. It can get very complex quickly so there's a lot to learn.

Basically, if you're interested in space ships exploding and other space shenanigans, I'm sure you would like it. The community is very helpful towards newcomers, at least in my experience.

First post here ayy

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Comment from a recent official EVE YouTube video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrwffiIB5ok

2484ef0854.png

retard, i've been on eve for 5 years. go suck a bag of dicks now.
that post is no different than answering "alt-f4" to questions.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom