Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Evil Within 2

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

For Sebastian Castellanos, the nightmare is far from over.

From Tango Gameworks and horror mastermind Shinji Mikami comes The Evil Within 2, the sequel to the widely-praised 2014 survival horror game. In order to save Lily – the daughter he believed he lost years ago – Sebastian will have to step into the madness once again. Announced during the Bethesda E3 2017 Showcase, The Evil Within 2 will launch worldwide on PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC on Friday the 13th in October 2017.

Set in Union, a crumbling city built using Lily’s mind as the Core, The Evil Within 2 presents a mix of closed off, claustrophobic environments that are reminiscent of the first game, and new, less linear areas that will give you the opportunity to explore at your own pace. You’ll be able to wander freely and poke through all the dark corners of the world at your leisure, but this is still a survival horror game, and ammo and resources will be scarce. You’ll need to prepare carefully and move cautiously as you discover the secrets of Union and unravel Mobius’ plans from within STEM.

Using Sebastian’s new communicator device, you will have intermittent access to the real world, with Sebastian’s former protégé Juli Kidman feeding you information from the other end. The communicator device also acts as your guide to Union, offering up unique resonance points in the world that will lead you to resources, side quests, information about the state of the city, and even Lily as you use the communicator to follow in your daughter’s footsteps through STEM. You’ll have to dust off your detective skills and put them to work as you journey through the warped wreckage of Union and face off against untold evils in your attempt to rescue Lily before it’s too late.

TEW2_Reveal_Watcher_730x411.png

Head First into Hell
Years ago, before the events of The Evil Within, Sebastian’s daughter Lily died in a tragic house fire. His wife left him shortly after and his life continued to deteriorate when he was pulled into the web of a sinister corporation called Mobius. It has now been three years since his investigation into a series of grisly murders brought him to Beacon Mental Hospital, where Sebastian Castellanos found himself trapped in a deranged nightmare world created inside the mind of a killer.

After barely surviving the events of the first game, Sebastian was alone. He lost his job, his will, everything. No one believed his story about Beacon, and he has spent the last three years searching for the people responsible for what happened to him at Beacon Mental Hospital, turning up no leads. But now, for the first time in years, Sebastian has a glimmer of hope. Kidman reenters his life and offers him a chance at redemption: Lily is still alive and is being used by Mobius to create a new STEM world, and if Sebastian is willing to submit himself to hell, there’s a chance he can find her and free her. Sebastian will have to journey into STEM once more and face off against untold evil in order to save his daughter.

TEW2_Reveal_Communicator_730x411.png

“The story we’ve crafted for you is very compelling,” Executive Producer Shinji Mikami says. “Each stage you’ll delve into is very unique. I hope people enjoy the game, and I encourage everyone to thoroughly explore the world.”

Ezekiel

Arcane
The first tantalizing news to come out of E3 for me. And it looks like Mikami is directing! Edit: Or producing, which is still good.

Why, though, do developers almost always change the character designs so much? He doesn't look like Sebastian anymore. The old design was fine.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
You mean people actually played Evil Within? Saw promos for it at release and it just looked BSB RE/SH type of shit.

You could try the demo. Which is apparently very misleading to how the rest of the game is or so I've heard.

Ivan

Arcane
"this is still a survival horror game, and ammo and resources will be scarce"

the trailer impressed me, particularly b/c it wasn't so gory and boo scary. Now, let's see if they fix my main gripe with the first game: combat arenas would conveniently empty out your ammo supply and conveniently resupply you with very little ammo. I never felt like there were fights I could pick and choose, so ultimately the game was dictating when I MUST use my ammo. I'm hoping for more leeway here but I'm just expecting a solid, violent, horror action title. That's all I really need.

The urban areas in the trailer reminded me a lot of RE2/RE3.

Ivan

Arcane
I've been thinking about my primary gripe with the first title and I think I can sum it up: the game's resource management is dictated by combat encounters, not player choice. Sure, the game offers open spaces to fight in, but it always forces you to kill enemy waves or bosses before moving on. It's bullshit how enemies magically drop ammo and then goes on to rinse and repeat this pattern.

I would hope they give the player more freedom, allow us to fight defensively versus offensively, but I don't think that will be the case.

Can anyone who's played RE7 confirm whether you can play defensively in that game? E.g. shoot at leg, stun and run, outrun

I am going through the first game now. It's more a horror themed shooter rather than a horror game. Having a surprising amount of fun after seeing it hated here for a long time. Previously I only tried the demo when my GPU was too shit for this. Hellish, shifting environments are clearly Silent Hill inspired, though the game itself plays a lot like Resident Evil 4 with minor stealth addition. Story and voice acting is not one of its stronger aspects but that's ok, as long as atmosphere remains enjoyable.
I'm hearing DLCs play more like a stealth/horror than a shooter? Can anyone who played them comment on this?

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Optimistic about these news. I fairly enjoyed TEW 1, and I expect this will be a nice romb, too.

bonescraper

I'm hearing DLCs play more like a stealth/horror than a shooter? Can anyone who played them comment on this?
Yes, the DLCs are pretty much all about exploration and stealth with some simple puzzles thrown in here and there.

And yeah, Evil Within is pretty much a Resident Evil 4 copy with 100% sirius tone and retarded plot. It's a fun game IMO, don't know why people hate it (the same people who calim that RE4 is one of the best games of all time). This is pretty much a RE4 spiritual successor. Okay, the story is shit and all the characters suck, but mechanically, it picks up where Mikami left off, and adds some stealth gameplay into the mix. Also, i think it looks pretty damn good for idTech 5, it almost makes you think it was made on a different engine.

Honestly I stopped caring about the plot when it was revealed it was a brain matrix, it really took me out the game. Who cares what happens it's not even real in the game.
Can anyone who's played RE7 confirm whether you can play defensively in that game? E.g. shoot at leg, stun and run, outrun
Pretty much all of the above although you gotta rely on a guard mechanic instead of pretending you're playing a street fighter game for the first time when attacked but not really necessary even in hardmode, though absolutely necessary in the Ethan Must Die DLC. Oh the mold can't open doors.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom