Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Evil Within - survival-horror game from Shinji Mikami, published by Bethesda

Dr Tomo

Learned
That Sessler guy from the video Dexter posted is so high on speed it's embarrasing.

Surprised there was no up selling of Doritos and Dew during the interview.

Anyway the game looks interesting and might pick it up either before or during a sale as it actually might be a horror game.

Martius

Liturgist
Well he was trying with God Hand/Vanquish and people did not care. I guess right now he want to make what people want.

Well he was trying with God Hand/Vanquish and people did not care. I guess right now he want to make what people want.

Shame how both those games were glorious.

Also, is this how gameplay trailers look like nowadays? 4 seconds of non UI screen time gameplay and the rest just cinematic shit? If this is gonna be QTE just tell me up straight faggot.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
I don't want a shitty Resident Evil 4 clone.

All he had to do was give us another RE2 ffs.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=107829603&postcount=459

Here's a longer description of the closed door demo I saw at PAX today. The tweet above that described it as "utterly lifeless" was right on the money.

The demo was live gameplay and lasted about 15-20 minutes. They played through two areas and showed off the combat and some of the locales. I didn't see anything that I hadn't seen in a trailer so far, in terms of locations.

The first area was that strange area from the trailers with the destroyed city and shifting cliffs. The first 3/4 of this part was just walking through the environment. It came across as completely dull. The character seemed completely unfazed by the way that the environment kept changing (e.g. at several points, buildings and the floor collapse right in front of him and there's no reaction). Towards the end of the section, they introduce the enemies. The player was equipped with a shotgun, sniper rifle, pistol, and a crossbow. There were some stealth elements that reminded me very strongly of The Last of Us (and not in a good way). In fact, it even had a very similar animation that occurs when an enemy grapples onto you. At the end, the guy encountered a water monster which he tried to distract by throwing bottles in the water, but the part ended when he was eaten by it.

The second area was a sort of puzzle section that took place in that strange industrial section that's been in the trailers. Throughout this section, the Box-head character was stalking the guy as he was trying to turn a set of valves. The Box-man can be killed normally by shooting him, but he comes back constantly. This sounded cool at first, but at no point did it seem that the guy was in danger. Add to that the fact that the section seemed to consist solely of:

1. Turn valve
2. 75% through turning valve, Box head shows up
3. Kill Box-head
4. Rinse and repeat

At the end, maybe one or two people clapped. It felt like the room had been super disappointed.

Performance-wise, the demo would hitch up at points (actually freeze for a second or two), but I attribute this to the game simply being still in development. I wasn't sure what platform it was being demo'ed on, but it didn't look great at all.

Sup' Bethesda. Keep funding shitty games while denying Obsidian the funds to make a good game.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Rule #1 of Bethesda contract is to deny any publisher involvement in the development of a game. Developers must inform any inquirers that their team has complete creative control and must make no reference to funding, executive demands, hardware limitations of receding-generation consoles, or focus groups provided and employed by the National Agency for the Employment of the Developmentally Challenged.

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
Looks worse than Dead Space 3.

What's with Bethesda and turning decent developers into making shitty games? Rage, Brink, the new Wolfenstein, and now this? Even the graphics look shitty. The textures look as blurry as RE4 on Wii.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
The PC version of this, will shit all over what people whine about on PAX etc.. nbecause it's the fail-sole versions being shown..

PC master race

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
And you're basing this on absolute no arguments or anything.. because from what we've seen.. it's just a demo version that got some jornoz scared.. also... console fail versions..

This game will be amazing, I'm quite sure. It looks awesome by the trailers alone.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom