Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Evil Within - survival-horror game from Shinji Mikami, published by Bethesda

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
First review is out, even-though there's a review embargo until the 14th. Apparently, videogamer.com has a beef with Bestheda, and is banned from reviewing the game officially, so they buy their own copy and review it before time :D !

+1 for a fuck-you Bestheda move.

http://www.videogamer.com/reviews/the_evil_within_review.html

An 8/10..

Sounds promising, but a lot of people are already saying the framerate is bad on consoles... ugh... I hope I can tweak the pirated PC version alot :D

Branm

Learned
First review is out, even-though there's a review embargo until the 14th. Apparently, videogamer.com has a beef with Bestheda, and is banned from reviewing the game officially, so they buy their own copy and review it before time :D !

+1 for a fuck-you Bestheda move.

http://www.videogamer.com/reviews/the_evil_within_review.html

An 8/10..

Sounds promising, but a lot of people are already saying the framerate is bad on consoles... ugh... I hope I can tweak the pirated PC version alot :D

With their claim of 4gb required VRAM makes me assume this will be a terrible port...Seriously 4gb ram on the friggin Rage engine?? How?

Astral Rag

Arcane
Note: the embargo for media that received The Evil Within from Bethesda is on October 14th, the day of release. As Bethesda declined to send us a review copy of the game (presumably due to the score we gave Wolfenstein: The New Order) we bought our own copy. As such said embargo does not apply, hence why the review is live now.

bethurt3xek1x.png

Last edited:

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
:lol:

It's funny because as far as evoking the feeling of a horror film goes, Resident Evil did it far better with its fixed camera angles than this game does with slapping letterboxing onto an over the shoulder camera.

nPaLPBG.jpg

BCYTx5G.jpg

9BsrQLY.jpg

9uv5OXx.jpg

ssddTi8.jpg

I watched a video and the game looks pretty much what I expected it to look like. A bunch of Resident Evil 4 style shooting, now with Dead Space animations, ammo and items popping out of dead enemies, and a ridiculous crafting system (why the fuck does every game need one of these?) that completely destroys any sense of being stuck in a location with limited resources.

Also no sense of an interesting and cohesive level structure, the things that made the early Resident Evil games stand out so much, instead you are teleported from one carnival haunted house level to the next with no explanation.

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
Investigate the evil within the secluded mansion and uncover the sinister plot set into motion by the Parasol Consortium.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
Wait...are we seriously citing Resident Evil as an example of good game design? Seriously - even at the time, the only thing it had going for it was that it added a degree of console shooter novelty to the pre-existing survival horror subgenre of adventure games. Even the first Silent Hill was a major incline over Resident Evil, let alone SH2. It was always the Mortal Kombat of the genre - lulzy and garnering attention through its low-res gore effects, but with subpar gameplay mechanics.

Say what?

How was SH incline over classic RE?

Sure in horror it excelled, but you specifically referred to gameplay, in which is more where the survival aspect comes into play.
For one, there's a grid-based inventory in RE whilst SH has an unlimited inventory. This alone is a very significant point.
RE1 > SH1 because gameplay, and more subjectively music. SH1 > RE in horror, nothing more, and yet still I believe the horror in RE to be far more than "low-res gore effects" (and this is different to SH how, exactly?).
They both feature shit VA and little plot.
I'm not sure what you deem to be lulzy about classic RE either. There was nothing that could be described as "lulzy" regarding classic RE at all, except maybe the VA. It was 4 onwards where this detrimental design started.

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Wait...are we seriously citing Resident Evil as an example of good game design? Seriously - even at the time, the only thing it had going for it was that it added a degree of console shooter novelty to the pre-existing survival horror subgenre of adventure games. Even the first Silent Hill was a major incline over Resident Evil, let alone SH2. It was always the Mortal Kombat of the genre - lulzy and garnering attention through its low-res gore effects, but with subpar gameplay mechanics.

Say what?

How was SH incline over classic RE?

Sure in horror it excelled, but you specifically referred to gameplay, in which is more where the survival aspect comes into play.
For one, there's a grid-based inventory in RE whilst SH has an unlimited inventory. This alone is a very significant point.
RE1 > SH1 because gameplay, and more subjectively music. SH1 > RE in horror, nothing more, and yet still I believe the horror in RE to be far more than "low-res gore effects" (and this is different to SH how, exactly?).
They both feature shit VA and little plot.
I'm not sure what you deem to be lulzy about classic RE either. There was nothing that could be described as "lulzy" regarding classic RE at all, except maybe the VA. It was 4 onwards where this detrimental design started.

This is all I heard and saw instead of this post:

Both the series had shit gameplay, but Silent Hill's was better because you were slightly more manueverable.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
You played the shit director's cut, with shit MIDI music it seems. What a shame, RE1 had a great soundtrack.

but Silent Hill's was better because you were slightly more manueverable.

You don't know what you are talking about. RE1 & SH1 were exactly the same in this regard. So much so that it's as if the code was copy-pasted from RE1. There's nothing to distinguish the two here at all.
There's also three years between the two games, SH1 should have been much better overall, but I consider it to be the lesser of the two. It's gameplay was decline. A better comparison would be SH1 to RE3 I suppose, and in RE3 you were far more maneuverable due to the skill-based dodging and quick turn option.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
And by quick turn I mean the 180 degree turn, not the shit auto aim crap that of course was optional.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
agentorange: you seem firm in your belief that horror games, or RE, needs fixed camera angles to be truly frightening. I disagree.
There are plenty games that are scary whilst providing the player control over the camera: System Shock 2? Call Of Cthulhu? Even RE4 had it's moments (regenerators), or VTM:B (Snuff movie set).
Sure the fixed angles and tank controls certainly made things extra terrifying, but at what cost? Gameplay is the cost.

Pointing to System Shock 2 and Call of Cthulhu should have been enough to male my point, really.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
Oh, no. I'm not saying that it HAS to have fixed camera angles. I love System Shock 2 and VTMB for their horror elements, and the first, what, half an hour or so of Dark Corners of the Earth is one of the best horror moments in games. I'm just saying that if you are deliberately going for a horror style that is emulating films (like Evil Within In seems to be doing), then fixed camera angles are far superior to something like letter boxing or QTEs or whatever. Since Resident Evil takes place in very claustrophobic interiors, the fixed camera angles allowed the game to use the players imagination against them through sounds and shadows and uncomfortable angles, the vague horror, and SH1 used fixed camera angles sparingly to make certain scenes visually discomforting and to show the empty expanse of the town (the parts where the camera stays still as your character moves farther away into the fog); first person horror is an entirely different thing since you can't rely on the player seeing thing the way you intended them to - good games like SS2 and VTMB handle this fine since the horror comes from the ambiance and constant threat of attack, whereas the vast majority of shitty first person (or over the shoulder) horror games just throw things into your face in an attempt to scare you.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom