Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

The Expanse (TV series) new syfy masterpyce

Discussion in 'Codex Public Library' started by ghostdog, Jun 28, 2015.

1. circ Arcane

circ
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    But it's not the least bit serious. Maybe that's the intent, but it comes off as sterilized and tonally deaf, in retrospect. It's a shame Miller left Ceres, so soon anyway, because that even with its exposition and failure to convey hardship, came off as somewhat real compared to other locations.

Also, another thing that came to mind. The books are apparently lauded for conveying realistic passage of time in space. Then why is it shows with actual FTL travel convey that passage so much better.

How is (somewhat) detailed analysis of its details nit-picking? Or did you not have a reasonable argument?

• retadred retadred x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Make America Great Again Lady Error Arcane

Lady Error
    Parrots:
    Half of the time I don't even know what you're criticizing, like here:

If you want to see the difference between the Belters life and the Earth/Mars life, you can see it clearly in their ships: The Belters ships are dirty and crewed by tatood rowdys, while the Mars ships are clean and crisp, etc. Why do I even have to point out obvious stuff like this?

Again, I have no idea what you are talking about. What "realistic passage of time"?

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. circ Arcane

circ
    Parrots:
    They're oppressed because their ships aren't as clean? :lol:

What I mean by realistic passage of time is getting from point A to point B in a certain amount of time and convincing the viewer that yes it took so and so many days to get there. Now, in TE the crew are on a ship let's say, then it cuts to another location, cuts back to ship and the crew are at their intended destination. This is a failure in basic film-making. Meanwhile in a show that knows what it's doing - it starts with crew on a ship, it cuts to another location, back to crew doing something still waiting, cuts to another location, back to crew etc. Now this is a simplified version of events because detail would be nit-picking, but you get the idea.

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Make America Great Again Lady Error Arcane

Lady Error
    Parrots:
    FFS, you were talking about "conveying hardships" and dirty and lower-tech ships do convey this. Now you're shifting the goalpost and talking about "oppression", which may not even be a good word for what the Belters complain about. They complain that nobody gives a shit about them and that they have more hardship in their lives compared to Mars and Earth.

You're comparing a show where everything takes place on a ship with one main crew (Dark Matter and to some degree, Killjoys) versus a show where there are at least 3-4 factions being shown. So obviously, you cannot focus as much on each one and things like showing a ship traveling somewhere can be skipped more often.

Anyway, haters gonna hate and you can always nitpick the hell out of anything.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Make America Great Again IDtenT Contact me for a good time Patron

IDtenT
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin
    They suffer from the same issue that afflicts all colonies.

^ Top  
  6. Make America Great Again cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    Parrots:
    People claiming Dark Matter has good acting. Best even. :lol:

The Expanse is by far the most mature TV sci-fi ever made. Also the most snazzy. And if you're over the age or 14 mature pretty much equals great. Babylon 5 and ST:NG are still closer to my heart but I admire The Expanse the most.

Unfortunatly the sequel (the novel) is nothing to write home about. 70% of the text is boring filler. Doesn't bode well for the TV sequel. Didn't muster the strength to continue with the rest of the book series.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Make America Great Again Blaine Cis-Het Oppressor

Blaine
    Parrots:
    I've watched all of the episodes at this point, and I'm still not entirely sure how to summarize how I feel about The Expanse's story and characters (which is overall a very positive sign), but I know how I feel about the starship and station designs and the portrayal of engines, thrusters, and weapons.

I'm as hard as a granite pillar.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 6
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Sranchammer Arcane

Sranchammer
    Parrots:
    Expanse is good for what it is

• Agree Agree x 1
    • "It was Aliens" "It was Aliens" x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. ArchAngel Magister

ArchAngel
    Parrots:
    One idiot claimed it. Don't call him a person.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Drax Arcane

Drax
    Parrots:
    The good thing about DM is Rodney McKay

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Make America Great Again Lady Error Arcane

Lady Error
    Parrots:
    The music is also surprisingly good, better than Killjoys.

^ Top  
  12. veevoir Klytus, I'm bored Patron

veevoir
    Parrots:
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
    That's my biggest gripe about Killjoys - soundtrack straight out of an angsty teen mp3 player. Otherwise it is pretty good for what it is - campy sci-fi show.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  13. I'm With Her Metro for prison Arcane Beg Auditor

Metro
    Parrots:
    He's been in about two episodes total.

^ Top  
  14. Lone Wolf Arcane

Lone Wolf
    Parrots:
    Very strong second season from S2E1-S2E5, then it lost a little steam, before picking up again in the last few episodes. Very similar to S1.

Things are set up for an interesting finale, and I'm glad the show's been renewed for a 3rd season. It's a top notch production.

Also, whoever was criticizing Avasarala's tirade at Errinwright... have you never seen a normally placid person lose their temper before? It's not smooth. It doesn't sound good. Shohreh played that bit perfectly. And then when she was interviewing Draper and that chaplain intervened... 'Whoever the fuck you are, shut up and let her finish' -> Gold. The character's fuse is getting shorter, she's getting bolder and the transition has been great to watch.

This is very much a tier above Killjoys/Dark Matter, which represent basic, formulaic popcorn entertainment.

• Agree Agree x 11
    ^ Top  
  15. I'm With Her Metro for prison Arcane Beg Auditor

Metro
    Parrots:
    Love her -- one of the best parts about the show. Was hilarious when she told the chaplain to fuck off.

• Agree Agree x 4
    ^ Top  
  16. Darth Slaughter Arcane Patron

Darth Slaughter
    Parrots:
    So I've just started seeing the 9th episode and again, in the previously section, there's an earth military man talking about a civilian ship that is going to check venus. He says the name of the ship is "the arboghast". Only thing is I had no recollection of ever hearing that name in this TV show. So here I go check the conversation in the 6th episode, and the original scene has the guy mentioning the civilian ship being upgraded to be able to enter venus atmosphere, but no mentioning of the name. This is annoying...

• Rage Rage x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Revenant Arcane

Revenant
    Parrots:
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Darth Slaughter Arcane Patron

Darth Slaughter
    Parrots:
    I was. It's failing me as age passes. 10 years ago I wouldn't even need to check back...

Well, finished the episode. It was better than previous ones, I really liked the interview scene (I'm one of Shoreh supporters since she did 24). But there's one idea they try to sell us that a martian marine is worth 20 earth marines? Ha, they can't barely bear our own gravity... I'd say kids would own these space marines.

EDIT: typos

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. exe Savant

exe
    Parrots:
    The shootout on Ganymede was really terrible. Like they weren't even trying.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Lone Wolf Arcane

Lone Wolf
    Parrots:
    Which part of the shootout? We didn't really see anything on the ground, and the stuff in orbit was a few seconds of cannon fire smashing a mirror and a few fly-by broadsides.

Pretty sure that armor they wear is powered (to an extent; watch the arm wrestling match with Draper) - but yes, it's obvious that both the MCRN/UN have very strange perceptions of each other. There's a telling bit of dialogue between the Earth-descended marine and the rest of the squad about the quality of UN marines.

The show isn't trying to sell you on the idea that an MCRN marine is worth 20 UN marines; it's selling you on the idea that the various parties believe it.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Make America Great Again Lady Error Arcane

Lady Error
    Parrots:
    He's talking about the latest episode.

They admit that Mars is more technologically advanced than Earth, though Earth has the numbers and probably a bigger industrial base. Though yeah, Mars marines on Earth would not be as effective as elsewhere probably.

^ Top  
  22. Lone Wolf Arcane

Lone Wolf
    Parrots:
    Oh, the one with the crew? Yeah, it was pretty throw-away.

The show's basically put it this way:

Mars - fast, stealthy ships
    Earth - many ships

In the Ganymede engagement, the Martians apparently won handily. But that sort of fight probably played to their strengths. Considering the words of that Marine Lt and various Martian senior officers, I don't think they're under any delusions about Mars winning a war with Earth. The rank and file are cockier, but you'd expect no less.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Stainless Veteran Arcane

Stainless Veteran
    Parrots:

Also The Expanse, while it sure lost some steam after Miller's death and switch to Caliban's War storyline, is still the best sci-fi show on TV. Only a retarded autist can claim that the schlock which both Killjoys and Dark Matter are, somehow is objectively better. Dark Matter is a shitty Canadian show with a production values and a plot sensibilities and construction from 90s, kinda reminds my of that Andromeda show with Kevin Sorbo. Killjoys is more entertaining, but also feels like a throwback from 90s, namely Cleopatra 2525.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  24. Revenant Arcane

Revenant
    Parrots:
    how on earth is that a negative thing

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Doggy Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Lone Wolf Arcane

Lone Wolf
    Parrots:
    It's only a negative thing in relation to the production values of The Expanse.

But, yes, Andromeda is a great comparison for Dark Matter. It's a bit less charming, though.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)