Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

The Expanse (TV series) new syfy masterpyce

Discussion in 'Codex Public Library' started by ghostdog, Jun 28, 2015.

1. Stainless Veteran Arcane

Stainless Veteran
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    Just finished watching it. Well. I don't know, previous episode was better. I don't really like the design of the protomolucle hybrid, it reminds me too much of a Husk from Mass Effect. Given that the Husks were basically trash mobs, it's hard to feel even a tiny amount of dread while looking at this thing. Avasarala's situation was, well, mostly from the books, but there it was handled better.
    Show Spoiler

Basically in the book Holden babbled about protomolecule on Ganymede to whole Solar System, and Errinwright outmaneuvered Avasarala to get her on Mao's ship. Here she went willingly, expecting Errinwright to fall on his sword. It was a dangerous assumption, which didn't really fit her character.

I was also really annoyed by Naomi in this last episode, she was grating on my nerves since her betrayal of Amos. And in this episode he even apologizes to her. OK, he really doesn't know better, because of his history and brain chemistry. But could we have shown at least some remorse, and not a half-hearted "Oops, sorry I betrayed you"? She was even more sanctimonious than usual, and what bugs me that the writers almost instantly gratify her choices and reward them. First with the refugees, then with Amos' reaction. Also when she finally confessed to Holden under her "No more secrets" motto, she left out an awful lot of secrets, if they'll go by the book.

I think that Bobbie's combat scenes were alright, although it was obvious that they spent all the budget on protomolecule hybrid's scenes.

All and all, I liked this season, easy 8,5/10 from me. If not the failed dramatization attempts and the added Naomi's scenes, the season would have easily been 9/10.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Salute Salute x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Stainless Veteran Arcane

Stainless Veteran
    Parrots:
    Mate, I have just the show for you - libruls will watch it as a dystopia, you can watch it as an utopia with a tragic end, heh.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • butthurt butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Make America Great Again cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    Parrots:
    Finished the second book (and both novellas), meanwhile giving this thread and the second season a shirk to avoid spoilers.

First of all Bobbie's actress is a complete fucking disaster. Of the "I actually can't believe it's that bad" kind. As was already mentioned ITT, not only she's a straight up bad actor, she neither resembles the appearance of the character from the book nor projects the same energy. I loathe feminism, obviously, but for once I'd welcome a 200 pound stronk-wymyn bulldyke in my show. At least it would fit the character. And if they couldn't find an appropriate Samoan actress then find some other fucking race - a niggerette, a redskin, a slope, whatever. Just make it fit the glove, goddamn.

Avasarala is the best character in the book and in the show. Great fit. (Nerd note - the actress also VOed admiral Raan in Mass Effect)

Seconded the motion the show is actually better than the books. The reason is simple - the shows are compact whereas the novels are so goddamn watered down it feels the authors were paid by the word count. The overarching plot is good but it's stuffed to the gills by the most verbose, irrelevant filler imaginable. I'm a few chapters into the third book and it's the same shit all over again. I have to force myself into reading on and I'm quickly losing patience. I'm seriously thinking into tossing that garbage into the bin and only keep following the shows.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Lone Wolf Arcane

Lone Wolf
    Parrots:
    But the show makes it abundantly clear that she's extremely physically powerful? Without any knowledge of the book, I would have assumed it's a result of genetic engineering/therapy or implants or something akin to it. Doesn't she beat an exoskeletal arm in an arm-wrestling match, earlier in S2?

And while she isn't 200lbs+, she's very clearly also not a little girl. I've suspended disbelief.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Make America Great Again cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    Parrots:
    As I said I haven't watched the show yet, just a few trailers posted ITT. Show making it clear she's powerful isn't good enough. It's like Phoebe in Friends - other characters constantly acting as if she's great and beautiful while everyone could clearly see she's fugly and annoying.

If Dutch from Predator was played by some pale beta like John Cusack while everyone acted as if he's some Delta Force high T alpha badass would you suspend disbelief? I wouldn't.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  6. warpig Arcane

warpig
    Parrots:
    Yep, this is exactly how this stronk womyn crap looks like. Not just here, I'm talking about the bigger picture of modern pop culture, the prevalency of this theme is ridiculous. IMO film makers should choose an actress that actually looks the part and show it as something exceptional, no one is buying that this is the norm unless there's a good explanation for it (maybe unless it's some really over the top, "crazy" and cartoonish show or movie or whatever-> than you can have entire armies of cute girls xD). It looks retarded, just like casting a quirky betaboy for the role of some tough "ramboid".

BTW Phoebe was cute, ok. (she was annoying though)

^ Top  
  7. Darth Slaughter Arcane Patron

Darth Slaughter
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin
    Well, you mean Adrien Brody in Predators (2010)?

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Make America Great Again cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    Parrots:
    Well shit. I forgot you can come up with the most creative dumbfuck scenario imaginable but there's always someone who came up with something even more retarded and then actually did it.

• Funny Funny x 4
    ^ Top  
  9. Lone Wolf Arcane

Lone Wolf
    Parrots:
    The logic being applied to the Roberta character is strange.

If you looked at a chimpanzee, you wouldn't think it could overpower you, without the background knowledge that its musculature has longer fibers, allowing for greater exertion. In other words, its appearance belies its strength.

And yet you're viewing the show's Roberta through the lens of preconceived notions about human strength, even though the show goes out of its way to tell you that they don't apply - she beat an exo-skeleton in arm wrestling (S2E1 14:05-14:35), breaking it in the process.

Now, if we can agree that chimpanzees can be strong even if they don't all look like they've been going ape on the bench, then surely you can also imagine that there might be a technological or biological means by which a 22nd century human being might be modified to be stronger than usual, without the attendant bulk?

You mentioned the Predator example. Again, strange. Predator told you that these men were strong/powerful by way of their muscles. It showed them to you, both directly and indirectly (remember the rope pulling scene?). Okay, message received, they employed the right actors. The Expanse is doing it with the second scene the character appears in, by having her break a mechanical arm in a wrestling competition. Don't you just go 'okay, she's strong' at that point? They even went a step further and hired a lady who is much larger than she had to be for the role. Why are you still going 'yeah, but she doesn't look that strong'?

Well, whatever.

• Agree Agree x 5
    ^ Top  
  10. Make America Great Again cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    Parrots:
    Seriously dude? A completely different animal, that's your comparison? Protip - a fuckton of animals half your height or weight kick your ass without breaking sweat. I can't even.

• retadred retadred x 2
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Lone Wolf Arcane

Lone Wolf
    Parrots:
    Missed the point a bit spectacularly. Preconceived notions don't apply when the bedrock assumptions are off.

You've got preconceived notions based on assumptions about human body types and potential strength. The show tells you these don't apply, in this case. Yet, you soldier on.

Keep soldiering, I guess.

• Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  12. Make America Great Again cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    Parrots:
    Oh someone is missing quite a bit more than a point here bro. What kind of bizzare thought processes lead you to declare a small human can be deceptively strong because a small chimpanzee is stronk too....dude that's honestly the most retarded thing I've heard in a long time and that's NOT an insult.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Lone Wolf Arcane

Lone Wolf
    Parrots:
    You're making yourself out to be a bit obtuse, here.

It was an analogy. They can be used to illustrate a point.

The point being that a 'small woman' (Frankie Adams is 180cm) could be deceptively strong, because there exist other things that are deceptively strong. Is that not computing? You're not accepting the character's strength because it doesn't fit your understanding of what a strong human looks like. Of course, this fictional human also exists in a universe where the technology level makes human enhancement entirely plausible. The show straight up tells you this person is abnormally, inexplicably (to us) powerful through storytelling devices (i.e. the aforementioned arm wrestling scene).

[​IMG]

There are solid reasons why your assumptions are groundless, but you've chosen not to accept them because.

Okay, don't accept them. Great.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Make America Great Again cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    Parrots:
    [​IMG]

I know right. I should stop.

^ Top  
  15. Lone Wolf Arcane

Lone Wolf
    Parrots:
    Yes, Picard indeed.

^ Top  
  16. Ezeekiel Educated

Ezeekiel
    Parrots:
    Do they explain her strength?

^ Top  
  17. Transfiguring Roar Arcane Patron

Transfiguring Roar
    Parrots:
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    upload_2017-4-22_8-48-30.png

:mixedemotions: Martians have no shame. :hero:

• Funny Funny x 10
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. ArchAngel Magister

ArchAngel
    Parrots:
    In the books yes :D
    In the show, they took the Iron Fist/GoT route by hiring actors not fit for the role.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Ezeekiel Educated

Ezeekiel
    Parrots:
    Well out with it, man! What is the explanation, Stanozolol?

^ Top  
  20. Sranchammer Arcane

Sranchammer
    Parrots:
    Man, I need to fuck a Martian.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Best Deal! Best Deal! x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Stainless Veteran Arcane

Stainless Veteran
    Parrots:
    http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...w-syfy-masterpyce.100536/page-20#post-5068093 I already answered your question earlier, but basically it's genetics + training. And yeah, Frankie Addams doesn't quite fit the book description, bu then agan - who does. This actually reminds me Brienna debacle in GoT, Gwendoline Christie was skinny as fuck, even when she trained for the role without armour or bulkiy clothes she looked not strong enough to portray Brienne. Still, she was a good actress (and 190 cm tall) and overcome most of her limitations. Frankie Addams though - I can suspend disbelief, but that's her first big role, and I don't think she is on par with the other crew. Then again, Both Naomi's and Holden's actors are often not good at all, so it's not that she doesn't have company. But they placed her with Shohreh Aghdashloo, who's a great actress, if sometimes overacting. This highlights Frankie's weaknesses.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  22. ArchAngel Magister

ArchAngel
    Parrots:
    She is supposed to be 2m tall and pure muscle. Since the actress is 1.80m and on a fatty side of course her freakish strength stands out from her looks.

^ Top  
  23. Make America Great Again cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    Parrots:
    Guise I can't believe you're actually defending this actress, let alone Lone Wolf's retarded analogy with the chimpanzee. Sure Woody Allen can play John Matrix from Commando, carrying entire trees on his shoulders. Just look at ants - they can carry 50 times their body weight! Looks are deceptive right?

Um, Avasarala? Miller, Holden, Amos? Naomi, Johnson? Everyone else?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Stainless Veteran Arcane

Stainless Veteran
    Parrots:
    I meant Bobbie specifically, in my post I quoted her book description.

Also if we go down this route, Avasarala is younger and hotter (a true GILF), Miller is younger too and also shorter , Naomi doesn't look like her book description at all, save the color of her skin.
    Johnson's description was basically dark-skinned and muscled, so he fits.
    All those whom you listed aren't very physical roles though, so it gives casting directors some breath. Bobbie's role though relies on her being seen as physically strong. Her race doesn't really matter in the books, she's a Martian first and foremost, and only then an Islander. They wanted to make right by the books, I guess, and escape the inevetible controversy which would've arised if they cast the actress of some other ethnicity. Probably the only other move they had is to cast a black athletic actress, it would've minimized librul butthurt, but not eliminated it entirely. Still, I can suspend my disbelief with her physicality easy enough, camera guys should work harder though, as do fight choreographers, if they even have one.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Make America Great Again cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    Parrots:
    What? You asked Adams doesn't fit the book description but who does. And I'm saying everyone else does, pretty much.

And you dwell on details too much. It's not about fitting the book description to the last syllable but the archetype must feel right. And the actors, afaic, are a perfect fit in this respect, including Naomi.

(btw how did you deduce TV Avasarala is younger and hotter and Miller is shorter than the ones in the book?)

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)