Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Fall of the Dungeon Guardians - dungeon crawler with RTwP combat

ManuTOO

Mana Games
Developer
getter77,
yup, the game life depends a lot on the 1st week of release on Steam, so I have to be sure there's no bad bug or glitch in the game at that point...
But now the game seems really in good shape, so hopefully it'll turn out well. :)

I just released the version 1.0 with a bunch of new stuff and it feels pretty nice, even if the work on the game is still not finished.

ManuTOO

Mana Games
Developer
If you buy the game from Mana Games now ( here : http://www.managames.com/DungeonGuardians/buy-the-game/ ), you'll get :
- a free Steam Key to activate & play the game in your Steam library
- the Windows & Mac OSX version from ManaGames.com

Note: the OSX version will come a bit later on Steam

2015-10-Version-1-0-Visual-FX-600x337.jpg

butchy

Prospernaut
The combat isn't the deal breaker for me. I think everything in the game looks great, but it seems to be a pure "dungeon crawler" with no npcs, quests, shops, etc. I need more than combat and puzzles. Honestly, I dislike puzzles. I do like riddles though, like in Betrayal at Krondor or the one dungeon in MMX>

Dorateen

Arcane
I think that was sarcasm from the developer.

(I hope that was sarcasm)

Regarding the real time combat, just wanted to point out that it does have pause and allows for micromanagement, which is what I enjoy. I'm expecting this to play similar to Demise: Ascension.

ManuTOO

Mana Games
Developer
Dorateen,
nope, it wasn't sarcasm... I've seen a lot of disgust for WoW in these forums. I'm not sure why, I haven't played it for many years ; many Blizzard dumbed it down to a point it became unbearable. They had started to do it when I left it (during Cataclysm) ; some people might say even before (at very least for the levelling).
Anyway, I guess I'm better to tell you what I see in WoW (and thus what I think is in my game) : it requires good observation, some decent reflexes (but nothing inhuman), some quick thinking when sh*t happens, some smart move, some situational analysis, some optimization to get the best damage output possible, the best damage possible per mana point, the best healing possible per mana point.
So all that is in Dungeon Guardians. But the best part is that you don't have to care much about it if you don't like it ; just lowering the difficulty will make the game more friendly and allow mistakes or relaxed playing... :)

I think the video with the boss fight shows pretty well how the combat unfolds, so no, it's not WoW, but it got a bit its spirit, with of course many different stuff.

ManuTOO

Mana Games
Developer
Game will be released on Steam on November 6th !
Steam Store Page => http://store.steampowered.com/app/409450 .

The ManaGames.com version already has 2 out of 3 of the Rogue Specializations.
So now it's only missing :

- last Rogue specialization
- proofreading by a native English speaker
- French & German translations

2015-10-Ice-Dragon-600x337.jpg

thexsa

Educated
The game actually look like what would happen if you put WoW into Grimrock, even specifically stating that they are basing the game on the shitty healers/dps/tank-trifecta which ruined mmo's. I am guessing there is a pause function because the devs thought it would be more flashy and more rpg'ish.

Guess I'll have to replay Lands of Lore again now that I'm done with Grimrock 2. This game doesn't look promising.

Dorateen

Arcane
I watched a bit of a First Impressions video on youtube. The party customization options look interesting. And I see you have characters interjecting with comments, that's a nice detail, like Wizardry 8.

I'll probably pick this up over the weekend.

Renevent

Cipher
Looks pretty cool but the combat seems way too busy for real time. I get you can pause, but for a game like this I don't know why they just didn't do turn based since you're not actually moving/positioning individual characters.

ManuTOO

Mana Games
Developer
Renevent,
real time feels more convenient & alive for the dungeon exploration.
It also makes the combat more intense & stressful (ie: more challenging). But I get it can be a matter of taste ; I enjoyed some turned based games as well... :)

jimboton

Novice
If you took the UI away from this game's screenshots you couldn't possibly distinguish it from LoG 1 unless you played it last week. What a shameless ripoff. And a dumbed down ripoff as well sadly.

Dorateen

Arcane
Just messing around right now. The initial party member quips while adventuring are tutorial in nature, but this one made me chuckle.

I'll see if I can survive with a Man-at-Arms, Paladin, Assassin, Elementalist group. No dedicated healer.

2015-11-07_00001.jpg

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
Those grimrock dev comments makes me laugh, they could send royalties to the the maker of dungeon master instead as they stole all the mechanisms from it.They are probably butthurt grimrock 2 is not selling.

150K sales on grimrock 2 so no its not selling that much anymore. A turn based blobber like elminage, who score 5/5 stars on our prestigious neighbor rpgwatch only gather 7K sales. Working on an indie PC turn based blobber is like comminting financial suicide.

I liked first Grimrock much more. Tight, better atmosphere, better story. Feeling of danger, going down the dungeon.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom