Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Fall

Silva

Arcane
So, who else is playing this babe ? Just finished it and found it really good, a somehwat novel take on the theme of AIs and self-awereness, in a graphic style very reminiscent of the old Flashback.

Also, for those who played, what are your theories on the ending ? I admit I was surprised with that shit.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
The ending is... more imaginative than the good old cliché that your pilot was just dead all along, but I'm not sure it actually means anything.

The story is pretty great overall, though. Puzzles could have had fewer coincidence moments.

Silva

Arcane
The ending... I'm not sure it actually means anything.
It means everything, specially the last thing she tells ("Nothing binds me"), which I came to understand as "Fuck, Im in fact as glitchy as that cunt (the caretaker) told me, because in the end I bypassed my directives just for my own survival, not of my pilot". And this may be her spark of emergence, and the beginning of her own (quoting Flashback) "quest for identity". Which begs the question: was she thrown in that planet because she was already glitchy in the first place ? Or she got glitchy while dealing with the conflict of directives that the situation imposed on her (which ended up changing her radically - to the point of making her learn how to Lie by the end)

Other relevant points: Why all those crosses and crucified robots (and people) around the facility ? why did the caretaker do that ? And why the admin AI developed such a quirky personality ? Perhaps he learned that with all those years it stayed with "Levi" (the one who scratches on the table "They left me behind") ? Was Levi the last human being alive on the facility ? Also, why there is another MK-7 combat suit at the start ? Perhaps you two were on some kind of mission ? This could explain the assumed presence of Col. Josephs inside the suit... or perhaps its your faulty artificial psyche that created Col. Josephs as a way to justify your struggle for survival ?

Questions, questions, questions. In a way, I dont want those questions answered because these gaps make the experience better IMO (in a Dark Souls-like ambiguity kind of way), but on the other hand Im craving to see how the authors will answer them.

Last edited:

warpig

Incel Resistance Leader
Manlet
I bought The Fall on Steam sale without knowing much about it, very cool game. I really enjoyed the puzzles and the atmosphere and story were sweet. Finding ways to ovarride your programming was an interesting idea. The only serious flaw is that the game is very short. I wonder how will the story unfold in the next episode, I hope they will leave some questions unanswered though, I like stories that don't explain everything and there's room to speculate and fill the gaps with imagination.
What were the soldiers(well one soldier actually) in combat suits doing there in the first place, was the mission to contain the situation in the factory? These crosses...was there any indication that it was the caretaker doing the crucifying? His personality seemed a bit too "robotic" for that. The lack of pilot in the suit...my first thought was something banal, like and accident, the empty suit falling to the surface from a damaged dropship or something like that. Or maybe it was supposed to be a field test, how the AI will act on its own.

Last edited:

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
spoilerz
I was referring particularly to the fact that there was nobody inside you all along. However, I didn't know there were sequels planned for this until I read this thread, so I took it in the way that I would take an isolated science fiction short story with a shitty twist ending that didn't really serve any purpose. If the next game or games will expand on that development at the end of The Fall, I'll certainly be interested. I just thought that "You were hollow the whole time!!" was supposed to be a shocking twist that would end the whole story, rather than a setup for more.

Silva

Arcane
spoilerz
I was referring particularly to the fact that there was nobody inside you all along. However, I didn't know there were sequels planned for this until I read this thread, so I took it in the way that I would take an isolated science fiction short story with a shitty twist ending that didn't really serve any purpose. If the next game or games will expand on that development at the end of The Fall, I'll certainly be interested. I just thought that "You were hollow the whole time!!" was supposed to be a shocking twist that would end the whole story, rather than a setup for more.
Yeah, the assumption is that the ending is the setup for the next episodes. Though I think I would still find it cool as a stand alone (in a PK Dick-like kind of way).

Curiously Im prepping an Eclipse Phase ttrpg game for a couple pals, and this game is the perfect inspiration.

Silva

Arcane
I bought The Fall on Steam sale without knowing much about it, very cool game. I really enjoyed the puzzles and the atmosphere and story were sweet. Finding ways to ovarride your programming was an interesting idea. The only serious flaw is that the game is very short. I wonder how will the story unfold in the next episode, I hope they will leave some questions unanswered though, I like stories that don't explain everything and there's room to speculate and fill the gaps with imagination.
What were the soldiers(well one soldier actually) in combat suits doing there in the first place, was the mission to contain the situation in the factory? These crosses...was there any indication that it was the caretaker doing the crucifying? His personality seemed a bit too "robotic" for that. The lack of pilot in the suit...my first thought was something banal, like and accident, the empty suit falling to the surface from a damaged dropship or something like that. Or maybe it was supposed to be a field test, how the AI will act on its own.
The theory of containing the situation at the factory is interesting, but the admin AI says things ran out of control 30 years ago, so why send soldiers with such a delay ? The field test theory is a also problematic, since it doesnt explain why the other suit had a real meat pilot in it.

About the crosses, the other combat suit at the beginning suggests it was put in there by the caretaker. Also, he throws a cross in your way near the end. One interesting thing about him is that he seems obsessive in subverting machines to malfunction/glitchness in their logic, like he tries to do with you all the time. Also, the way he uses you to reach the admin AI and shut it down shows he is bothered by it too.

warpig

Incel Resistance Leader
Manlet
The theory of containing the situation at the factory is interesting, but the admin AI says things ran out of control 30 years ago, so why send soldiers with such a delay ? The field test theory is a also problematic, since it doesnt explain why the other suit had a real meat pilot in it.

About the crosses, the other combat suit at the beginning suggests it was put in there by the caretaker. Also, he throws a cross in your way near the end. One interesting thing about him is that he seems obsessive in subverting machines to malfunction/glitchness in their logic, like he tries to do with you all the time. Also, the way he uses you to reach the admin AI and shut it down shows he is bothered by it too.

The suit with the pilot inside could be someone overseeing the test, maybe there are some regulations that a human has to be present to keep an eye an the AI.
These crosses seem out of place to me, I just hope it's not some kind of lame attempt by the devs to make the story seem "deep", "let's add religous symbols and our adventure game will seem like artsy art".

Gozma

Arcane
Anyone reading this that didn't get spoiled by the above: It's a very short, nice looking sci-fi adventure game with some rudimentary Blackthornesque combat. I bought it knowing nothing in particular beyond what it looked like and after finishing it I thought it was OK. This should probably be in the adventure game forum in fact.

Is there different C&C or new game+ stuff to do in the game I didn't find? Several of the things on the OS screen never unlocked and it seemed like a few things might be decisions.

Gozma

Arcane
lolno it's like a twilight zone episode at most

no lesbian ghosts or something

Gozma

Arcane
Wish I could talk about it wichoo but I already forgot everything that happens:happytrollboy:

lightbane

Arcane
Finally. Hopefully the sequel will be worth the wait. And hopefully they got rid of these annoying, pointless popamole shooting sequences.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom