Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The game that tax your PC box to the limit

laclongquan

Arcane
What is the game that can tax your PC box to the limit: graphic, CPU run..?

I am a bit curious recently about games and hardwares.

And let's just filter out the obvious modded game with graphicwhore mods to the max (hairstyle, eyebrows, etc...) I am really not judgin but obvious those mods would tax game to the limit. This mean the usual suspect like Fallout New Vegas and Skyrim are off the table, okay.

Gerrard

Arcane
Ghost Recon Wildlands on max settings has pretty steep requirements (assuming you go above 1080). Dunno about CPU use though.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided is the only game where I had to lower a few settings for a solid 60FPS so far (my rig: i5-8400, GTX 1070, 16GB RAM, 1080p screen). Just did a quick test with the benchmark and saw that it uses up around 40% of the CPU and 30% of RAM.

Not a case of bad optimization, the game is genuinely gorgeous.

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I don't use resolutions higher than 1080p even for TV or movies so the answer would be none.
... GTX 1060 6GB, i7 6700K, 16GB RAM
Ok, there's still Dorf Fortress, but I don't play that as long as there is no sensible UI choice for it.

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
lol, I'm still using my i5 2500k from years ago, so it gets slapped around a lot. Aside from that I don't have many issues. Using a 980ti 4gb, 16gb RAM and a decent SSD.

I had to play with the Witcher 3 a bit to get it to comfortable state for me, but nothing else in particle springs to mind.

I remember getting Morrowind home the first time around and realising it wouldn't run years ago. Fucking heartbreaking

Ezekiel

Arcane
Most of the expensive new ones. I just don't see any reason to replace my GTX 780. Most of the games coming out right now aren't that fun and I'm not that obsessed about playing with the best graphics anyway. Actually, my next card might be an AMD, because these Nvidia prices are retarded and their shop that sells them at the normal prices is almost always out of stock.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I have only GTX 660, thus anything graphics heavy needs to be tuned down. At decent GFX settings, probably ELEX.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Crysis still plays like shit (kinda) with all details maxed out at 1920 X 1080 on my rig. When I got my new $450 GTX 1070 gpu I was, like, "Okay, now time to test this bad boy on one of the most gpu-intensive games of all time - CRYSIS! Hmm, lemme see, I figure I'll get at least 120-144 FPS for an engine that's 11 years old! Ready, set, GO!" Well, in the words of the great philosopher Gomer Pyle: "Surprise, surprise, surprise!"

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Crysis still plays like shit (kinda) with all details maxed out at 1920 X 1080 on my rig. When I got my new $450 GTX 1070 gpu I was, like, "Okay, now time to test this bad boy on one of the most gpu-intensive games of all time - CRYSIS! Hmm, lemme see, I figure I'll get at least 120-144 FPS for an engine that's 11 years old! Ready, set, GO!" Well, in the words of the great philosopher Gomer Pyle: "Surprise, surprise, surprise!"

It's an utterly shit game anyway. When I got around to playing it, I couldn't believe it had got sequels and popularity.

Ocelot

Learned
Crysis 3 can still stress out a high-end GPU. If you want to put extra pressure on the CPU instead, try ARMA 3.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane

It's an utterly shit game anyway. When I got around to playing it, I couldn't believe it had got sequels and popularity.

I never played past the first mission. Always got bored because it always felt like the developers were some kind of evil graphics pimps trying to seduce underage graphics whores with eye candy. I hear it's a good game from others though.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I played all Crysis games on my 660Ti pretty much maxed out. Got like 45-60 FPS in most areas at 1080p (more FPS in sequels cause the engine was "optimized" for consoles).

On my 1060, I can run Crysis 1 maxed out and get constant 60 FPS.

Trust me, it's dipping a lot. But it's not particularly noticeable, i.e. choppy.

ortucis

Prophet
I played all Crysis games on my 660Ti pretty much maxed out. Got like 45-60 FPS in most areas at 1080p (more FPS in sequels cause the engine was "optimized" for consoles).

Trust me, it's dipping a lot. But it's not particularly noticeable, i.e. choppy.

Trust you for what? I monitor FPS on every game I run.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane

Trust you for what? I monitor FPS on every game I run.

Do you log it? Or just glance at the frame rate counter in the upper left every now and then? Log it and see.

funkadelik

Arcane
Kingdom Come Deliverance on 2k resolution has been giving my 1080ti and 4790K some challenges when set to max.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Kingdom Come. But it's because the game has absolutely shit optimization. Battlefield 1 has visuals that equal (if not surpass in certain details) and I can run it with everything on Ultra with stable 60 FPS.

PS3 emulator also taxes my CPU a bit.

Specs: Intel i5 6500; RX 480; 8Gb RAM DDR4 2400GHz

Ocelot

Learned
Represent.

I pair it with an HD6770 so the answer is 'pretty much anything in the last 3 years'. Dat UI lag in DivOS2 :negative:
And mine goes along with a 560TI, so I play most newer stuff on 1280x720 to get decent framerate. Doesn't bother me that much, tho.

Seems like I'm not the only one with dated hardware. I still use a 650ti which is crap for newest releases. Fortunately, most good games nowadays aren't hardware intensive.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom