Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline The GameBanshee BBS: Experience classic BBS games from the pre-Internet days

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Oh wow, this is cool: http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/114...bbs-launches-bbs-door-history-interviews.html

BBS.jpg

Over two decades ago, pre-dating the explosion of the Internet and well before I ever started GameBanshee.com, I ran a small bulletin board system powered by WWIV in the rural community where I grew up that hosted all of the latest online games (mostly role-playing game doors) and shareware files. It was a considerable amount of fun, a great learning experience, and something I've looked back on fondly despite the technological advancements that have come along since.

And so it's with much enthusiasm that I announce the launch of the GameBanshee BBS, which will serve as a place where a nostalgic itch can be scratched and for many of the classic role-playing and strategy titles of yesteryear to be preserved and enjoyed for what I hope will be many years to come. In order to bring the BBS online with a bit of fanfare, though, I've also conducted interviews with several of the developers who brought us these titles - Seth Robinson (Legend of the Red Dragon), John Pritchett (TradeWars), John Dailey (Dungeon Master), Amit Patel (Barren Realms Elite), Michael Preslar (LORD and LORD 2), and Scott Baker (Land of Devastation). Here's a sample from the Q&A with Seth:

GB: Considering that your games were released as shareware with the option to buy a registration code, was your plan always to make your BBS development a for-profit venture? Can you give us some idea of how many registrations were sold during the most popular BBS years and what sort of impact the revenue had on your life?

Seth: LORD was a "Darkside" (my bbs name) original for quite a while. I was proud to have a game nobody else had. At some point, some people asked if they could purchase the game for their own BBS and I packaged it up. I sold seven copies or so the first year before deciding to write it again for the PC, as that's where all the action was. (Until that happened, it only ran on only one rather unpopular Amiga BBS software)

The money did roll in and I sold maybe around 30k registrations of my various DOS doors, and then moved on to special versions created for Major BBS with extra real-time multi-player features that kept the income flowing. During the DOS door days at the peak I made $500 a day, all from receiving letters in the mail. Later with MajorBBS, I remember a few $1200 days. (LORD for that version sold for $300 a pop, so it didn't take many sales to add up)

It was a fun time. Bought a house with a giant barn to work in. Furnished it with arcade and pinball machines and 8 phone lines: partly for the BBS I ran, and partly for my friends and I to have all night Ultima Online sessions!

Connect here: http://www.gamebanshee.com/bbs/connect.php

LQFpRdk.png

It really is a proper BBS!

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I was helping Buck out with this a little bit a few months ago, cool to see it's up and running now.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Man, this is kind of neat as fuck

I remember my big bro always hanging around these places.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Ah, I remember the days. I once had a two line Renegade BBS running under OS/2.

Do they have Bordello? It was fun trying to pimp your very own whorehouse.

Trade wars was also one of my favourites.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
I started with Maximus but eventually switched to Renegade becuase I preferred the layout and scripting that was possible.

I STILL have my Courier HST modem. I got it from US Robotics for FREE on a Sysop mail-in deal (in exchange for running "powered by US Robotics" Ads on login. YEARS later, they gave me a free daughterboard upgrade to V.everything. This thing is still kicking after all these years...

Thanks for the post I'll be checking this out.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Massive hard-on. Dialing into these and keeping the phone line occupied throughout the day only to find out grandma has been punching our number all afternoon. Fuck her.

polo

Magister
Well, i rescued her(her?) allright.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom