Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Goddamn Batman: Arkham Origins

Dr Tomo

Learned
The mere thought of a proper batman beyond game gives me a raging boner.
Batman+cyberpunk, what more do you fucking need? The fucking batsuit is basically a batmanfied crysis nanosuit, only the crysis one could be considered a ripoff as batman beyond predates that game. Batman gadget potential would be through the roof, who needs superpowers when you've got Wayne Industries R&D. The only problem would be that few established iconic batman villains are still alive in that timeframe and the need to make up new shit could spell shitty villains. Also Terry is somewhat of a faggot as were his high school shenanigans. If they had a 10 years older Terry however now that could fix it.

I would risk a pre order if they did make a Batman Beyond game as the characters were great in that series and it had a dark feel to it for a kids show. I didn't see Terry so much as a problem in comparison in the end enlightening us about his origins. As for villains I think they did a decent job and some of the iconic villains did make appearances, but the problem is trying to fit them all into the central plot and if the studio decides to make their own villains if WB gives them permission.

That planned adaptation of Gotham By Gaslight looked promising. Would've enjoyed playing as a Victorian-era Batman.

It was interesting and first thing I said to a friend when he showed me the trailer, "them cape physix's".

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I don't require a ton of innovation. After all, if someone made a game almost exactly like Thief 2 or Deus Ex on today's tech I would marry it.

The problem, I think, is that the Xbox 360 tech has been the lead platform for so goddamn long there's no graphics, AI or level size advancements, which leads people to see simple rehashes as just that. You can't mask it with tech advances, all you can do is make a different story in a different settings and go with it. And of course Batman can't even really change the setting.

Monad

Learned
Say what you will about these batman games, you can think the stories and voice acting are great whatever, but the melee combat is a piece of shit.

DeepOcean

Arcane
I felt like the goddamn Batman.
That was the best part of them but on a mechanicaly shallow game, the shlock they had for a story in both is even more noticeable. I wasn't expecting something of The Killing Joke level but they released stories that could be easily classified along side with the shit DC comics produce to pay the bills.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
The first two Batham Arkham-games imo gets so much praise because they're well done comic book/superhero/license games compared to the usual utter donkey balls what license-games are. Arkham Asylum and Arkham City are basically your run-of-the-mill action adventures and if it wouldn't be Batman-game, they'd be considered pretty average.

Whiner

Augur
The first 2 games are nice,but this one looks really generic and soulless.I hope it's just first impressions.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Say what you will about these batman games, you can think the stories and voice acting are great whatever, but the melee combat is a piece of shit.
It's very smooth and the latter-levels can get demanding, so I see nothing wrong with it. It's not Devil May Cry or (insert your favorite melee-oriented action game) but it shouldn't try to be since that's not the power fantasy of being Batman.

Eyeball

Arcane
Summarising the Batman games in three Words: Kung Fu Orgasm.

The fight mechanics are simple but Work really well and are exceptionally stylish. There's a reason it's been copied for a bunch of other games such as Remember Me and Sleeping Dogs. It's simply cool.

Dr Tomo

Learned
If anyone whats some leaked footage here is a twitch stream, But hurry before it's gone. http://www.twitch.tv/wdyftw

So I just started watching the part where Batman fought Slade and I can say that it looks difficult and not for the casual player. There is a lot of QTE's and a few parts during the battle if you don't successfully hit them you have to start over.

Dr Tomo

Learned
Batman Arkham Origins dev faced "resistance and reluctance" at "every level"

Warner Bros. Montreal has admitted facing "resistance and reluctance" at "every level" when it began work on Batman Arkham Origins, the first title in the Arkham franchise not designed by its British creators, Rocksteady.

The game's senior producer Ben Mattes told Eurogamer that WB Montreal had experienced "hesitation" from within the company, as well as a fair amount of scepticism from fans.

"Obviously resistance and reluctance exists at every level," he explained. "There were fans who said: 'They're not Rocksteady, they can't make an Arkham game.' And there were concerns within the organisation that we weren't going to be able to deliver the special sauce of a Rocksteady game.

"And there were concerns within our team, like - 'Maybe we've bitten off more than we can chew? Are we sure we're able to dance with these guys? Do we deserve to be in this same hallowed ground?' - but we wouldn't have continued through the years if we didn't feel we had a shot," he added. "I'm really proud of what we've done."

The majority of this hesitation has now evaporated, Mattes continued, as a natural effect of WB Montreal showing more and more of the game. But at its unveiling, Mattes recalled what he described as maybe a "a 60-40 split of positivity to hesitation or maybe outright dismay" from Arkham fans. "Y'know: 'It's not Rocksteady. It's a prequel. It's not the original voice actors. Forget it. Ignore. Never paying attention to it,'" he remembered.

"But I think every subsequent piece of code we've shown has won over more and more of the public, to the point where it now stands out as an exception if we see someone who's still towing that line of: 'It's not Rocksteady, it's not going to be good.' There's only, like, one in a 1000 it seems now still playing that card."

The pressure of having to live up to Rocksteady's past work may have even helped the game, he added, and pushed WB Montreal to deliver a finished product worthy of the series.

"You don't want to be the guys who messed up and ran into the ground one of the absolute, top-rated franchises of all time. You don't want that at the top of your CV. 'Yeah, I'm the guy who turned a 96 into a 60, that's my claim to fame.' So I think there was an extra desire to create something really great as we were fully aware of the opportunity that we had."

With the game due out tomorrow, Mattes concluded he was satisfied with how the project turned out.

"Usually you put on a happy face and say the right things because that's where you are. But secretly you're thinking, 'God, if only they'd given us six more months.' But, honestly, this game we've created is the game we set out to create. It is exactly the story we wanted to tell with exactly the areas of focus we aimed to do.

"And resistance... it was probably more hesitation than resistance. It was never: 'Over my dead body are you guys making an Arkham game!' It was always hedging bets, cautiously optimistic, a healthy amount of hesitation. And that's the right attitude. I think everyone ought to have that attitude. If we'd come in saying: 'Rock-who? Eff those guys man, we'll show you how it's done,' we wouldn't have gotten here."
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...aced-resistance-and-reluctance-at-every-level
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...aced-resistance-and-reluctance-at-every-level

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
It sounds like premature justification for game's critical flopping because it really looks like they played it really safe and just rehashed Arkham City. It's going to be alright at best.

Dr Tomo

Learned
Batman Arkham Origins dev faced "resistance and reluctance" at "every level"

Meh. Title of the article made it sound like some sort of inside source on the troubled development of the game but instead it was mostly wankery, "Fans thought the game would be shit! Now some think different! Aren't we kewl underdawgz!?"

Well that is the point of the article, that they are underdogs and there was doubt on their part and the fans which is gone when we all see the scores from all the game journo sites being 10/10's.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Funny part is it will of course have a lower average than the first two, if for no other reason than it's a third of the same thing on the same hardware.

Drakron

Arcane
Funny part is it will of course have a lower average than the first two, if for no other reason than it's a third of the same thing on the same hardware.

Well it should because ... it looks like Batman: Arkham City 2.0, sure there is new stuff but a lot and I mean a LOT is from it, worst is the story was made disconnected as its not really a Origin Story so you just get "Batman, the earlier years" that because of it using B:AC (and B:AA) assents its looks too recently, its not even a prequel to Arkham Asylum either that could have worked and the worst sin is what they made of the Joker, I mean its the 3rd fucking game ... use Ivy, use Freeze, use Scarecrow but no, sure the Joker is a very symbolic but again, its the 3rd fucking game ... give it a rest already at least for one game.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Yeah if the Joker is the big villain again that shows a stunning lack of balls about story. It's not like the only successful Batman movies had Joker in them... kind of weird.

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter

Well it should because ... it looks like Batman: Arkham City 2.0, sure there is new stuff but a lot and I mean a LOT is from it, worst is the story was made disconnected as its not really a Origin Story so you just get "Batman, the earlier years" that because of it using B:AC (and B:AA) assents its looks too recently, its not even a prequel to Arkham Asylum either that could have worked and the worst sin is what they made of the Joker, I mean its the 3rd fucking game ... use Ivy, use Freeze, use Scarecrow but no, sure the Joker is a very symbolic but again, its the 3rd fucking game ... give it a rest already at least for one game.
I tought the final boss from Arkham city was the mud dude. Plot tweest. Hugo Strange was one of the main villains too. But yeah, they do overuse the Joker.

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter

Funny thing is that they already used those villains, albeit not as main villains. If you think about it, all villains that were featured in movies are present.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom