Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Guild Wars 2 Thread

Riel

Arcane
I have not played the game for some time now, and the other day when I loged in I noticed an overhaul in the PvP UI. Is it just the UI or did they add new PvP modes?
I tried to locate the patch notes, but not nowing when that was implemented I couldn't find the relevant ones.

Avellion

Erudite
Tu3G4R2.png

In Q314 GW2 gets a huge jump they are also trademarking Heart of Thorns

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/2s9jp8/ncsoft_registers_trademarks_for_guild_wars_2/

Could this be an expansoin pack? And if it is? Will it actually be good? Or has Arenanet still not learned from their mistakes?

Eyeball

Arcane
Jesus Christ, if that chart is anywhere near reality Wildstar has failed massively.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Jesus Christ, if that chart is anywhere near reality Wildstar has failed massively.

I think that takes into account Wildstar staying a subscription game when it's pretty much a given some transition to a different model is bound to happen.

Riel

Arcane
They are either releasing an expansion pack or dreaming. I suposse the pack is the most likely reason.

Avellion

Erudite
They are either releasing an expansion pack or dreaming. I suposse the pack is the most likely reason.
If rumors are to be believed, it is an expansion pack.

Guild_wars_Heart_of_thorns-720x720.jpg

They will announce something at PAX. If it truly is an expansion pack then,

:deadhorse:

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
It had better include a new continent. Knowing these retarded fucks, it probably won't.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Because you can sell a paid expansion.
To whom? As a standalone game (read: Not the sequel to GW1) GW2 was okish. I haven't paid attention to "the community", but as a GW1 fan I can say that I'm deeply disappointed in how GW2 turned out and have no intention of sinking any more money into it.
I'd assume it's similar with most other GW1 fans. And if you take them away, who is left? (Serious question. As I said, I have no idea if GW2 has achieved a strong following in its own right.)

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Lots of people were interested in GW2 but eventually left because they got tired of redoing the same content over and over again. Meanwhile GW2 fanbois were telling all of them how wrong they were and how there's more than enough content in the game and how an expansion is a bad idea.

I'm honestly surprised this game made it this far. I was part of a massive guild when the game was about a year old and nobody seems to be playing anymore. All of my friends also abandoned it ages ago. I can only assume it has a core fanbase who spend a lot of money on gems and/or a decent influx of new players.

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
There are still plenty of people on the servers. I log in frequently, and there are times where I still hit overflows on some maps. Just because some GW1 fans abandoned the game doesn't mean it died. It's doing pretty well from what I can tell.

Avellion

Erudite

Of all the people who have died in living story so far...

That fucking gary stu vegetable is still alive :x

And it seems like the expansion will be set in Maguaama Jungle. IF that is all the content they will have this expansion pack. Holy shit, this is going to be one lackluster expansion pack contentwise. I suppose the expansion would be worth it though if you could kill every player Sylvari on sight.

Last edited:

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
To whom? As a standalone game (read: Not the sequel to GW1) GW2 was okish. I haven't paid attention to "the community", but as a GW1 fan I can say that I'm deeply disappointed in how GW2 turned out and have no intention of sinking any more money into it.
I'd assume it's similar with most other GW1 fans. And if you take them away, who is left? (Serious question. As I said, I have no idea if GW2 has achieved a strong following in its own right.)
GW2 had one of the biggest hype campaigns in MMO history, and it still carries momentum. Keep in mind, this hype campaign was big enough to convince people that they hadn't just relabeled Open Quests and claimed it was new and innovate content, and that GW2 is the first and only MMO to feature mobile combat and no Holy Trinity.

And of course, I'd wager their market is still split between people who play GW2 and buy gems, and people who normally don't play MMOs but are willing to give GW2 a try because it's single purchase.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
Look at the earnings table few posts above - it's obvious that GW2 has significant paying playerbase. While I agree as a GW1 that GW2 was a failure as a sequel, it's still a successful mmo.

Luckra

Educated
And it seems like the expansion will be set in Maguaama Jungle. IF that is all the content they will have this expansion pack. Holy shit, this is going to be one lackluster expansion pack contentwise. I suppose the expansion would be worth it though if you could kill every player Sylvari on sight.
I stopped GW2 a few months after realease and logged occasionally to try the winter or halloween stuff and unlock the living story episodes but didn't play anything yet. How long do you take to complete these mini scenarios?
Too bad the expension is set in the Maguuma Jungle, is there no hint yet that the game will go in Cantha/Elona territory one day?

Because you can sell a paid expansion.

I think you missed the sarcasm intended in my post.

Lots of people were interested in GW2 but eventually left because they got tired of redoing the same content over and over again. Meanwhile GW2 fanbois were telling all of them how wrong they were and how there's more than enough content in the game and how an expansion is a bad idea.

I'm honestly surprised this game made it this far. I was part of a massive guild when the game was about a year old and nobody seems to be playing anymore. All of my friends also abandoned it ages ago. I can only assume it has a core fanbase who spend a lot of money on gems and/or a decent influx of new players.

Apparently it's still big in China. The update where they streamlined the fuck out of everything was to "unify" with the Chinese feature set and the way Chinese MMOs operate.

I stopped GW2 a few months after realease and logged occasionally to try the winter or halloween stuff and unlock the living story episodes but didn't play anything yet. How long do you take to complete these mini scenarios?
Too bad the expension is set in the Maguuma Jungle, is there no hint yet that the game will go in Cantha/Elona territory one day?

Cantha is right out because its rayciss apparently. No word on Elona or whether it's rayciss.

Ironically the given in-game justification for no Cantha contact is that the Emperor has given the order to expel barbarians, totally not being stereotyped as xenophobes.

Last edited:

Shannow

Waster of Time
Look at the earnings table few posts above - it's obvious that GW2 has significant paying playerbase. While I agree as a GW1 that GW2 was a failure as a sequel, it's still a successful mmo.
You mean the table that shows that it's earning significantly less than Lineage? Sorry, I didn't realize that is counted as successful.
Snide comment aside, I'd still be surprized if their projections turn out to be correct.

And where were Cantha (and Elona) racist? Any examples? (And no, expelling foreign barbarians is the sensible thing to do supporded by RL history so it's not racist in a fantasy world. Something more convincing, pls.)

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
There are still plenty of people on the servers. I log in frequently, and there are times where I still hit overflows on some maps. Just because some GW1 fans abandoned the game doesn't mean it died. It's doing pretty well from what I can tell.

Plenty of players if you run around Queensdale and Orr. The mid-level zones were practically deserted when I played last year.

No doubt it's doing well. It's still in existence two and a half years later. It just doesn't do a good job of offering something worthwhile to keep players coming back after a while.

Xenich

Cipher
You mean the table that shows that it's earning significantly less than Lineage? Sorry, I didn't realize that is counted as successful.
Snide comment aside, I'd still be surprized if their projections turn out to be correct.

And where were Cantha (and Elona) racist? Any examples? (And no, expelling foreign barbarians is the sensible thing to do supporded by RL history so it's not racist in a fantasy world. Something more convincing, pls.)

When EQ was being touted as an extremely successful MMO, Lineage was 3-5 times as many subscribers. You don't compare to Asian MMOs. They are different cultural expectations and a MASSIVE population to boost. If EQ had compared itself to it back then, it would have been considered a complete failure. Now I am not saying GW2 is a good game, everything I have seen about it tells me it is a tardsole/WoWtard game with PTW that is only cleverly hidden for those too stupid to breathe and walk at the same time, but none the less, it is a "success" if we consider outside of WoW and Asian MMOs. When I say a success, I mean profitable, but then any MMO can be a success if it doesn't expect to be another WoW or compete with Asian MMOs.

Apparently someone at NCsoft didn't like Cantha and forced Arenanet to axe their presence in GW2 (both as a potential expansion continent and as a faction in Tyria).

Shannow

Waster of Time
Weird. I didn't like Factions as much as the other campaigns. But that's still weird.
Ah well. I'll be waiting for a spiritual successor to GW1 :P (Too many worthwhile SP RPGs around, atm, anyway. So I'm not impatient.)

Avellion

Erudite
These scenarios dont take too long to go through, roughly an hour or so.

But to actually complete them. Anet did add some really obnoxious grinds to them, so it can take quite a while.

They somehow outdid most developers in the "boring grind" aspects, which is hilariously ironic when you consider what they said in their Manifesto, which they refuse to comment on nowadays.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom