Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Guild Wars 2 Thread

Shammy

Learned
Oh yai, endless gold seller spam and back to Anet's old ways of dealing with gold sellers - just hamfistedly ban anyone moving over X amount of gold between accounts.

This is going to end well.
Anet put a lot of restrictions on F2P accounts, and will probably put on more if any holes are found in the system. So far though it seems like they've done a pretty good job on the restrictions, and I haven't noticed anything negative from it yet. Granted we'll have to wait a bit longer to really see its impact, but I wouldn't get all doomsayer yet.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Reading is hard.

Free players can only start a new whisper conversation every 30 seconds.

Gold sellers always find a way. Always. 30sec is trivial for a bot anyway. Bots have all the time in the world.

No doubt the group finder will also be filled with groups named "for gw2 gold go to gw2buy.com!!!".

Last edited:

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Yes, because getting a character to level 30 in GW2 is so hard to begin with. It's not like they have auto-leveling bots that they use to harvest gold.

The restrictions here are still very open to abuse. Gold-sellers were never completely eliminated in GW2, but at least the bar for entry was set pretty high for them. Now they've just got a free pass.

DramaticPopcorn

Yes, because getting a character to level 30 in GW2 is so hard to begin with. It's not like they have auto-leveling bots that they use to harvest gold.

The restrictions here are still very open to abuse. Gold-sellers were never completely eliminated in GW2, but at least the bar for entry was set pretty high for them. Now they've just got a free pass.
There's an item that gets you to lvl 20 instantly, although that requiers you to actually do your story missions IIRC

aka i didnt play it
cut your mother's dick and shove it into your own ass, dickwart.
the game is horrible, is exactly like thousands of other korean mmos out there, it introduces nothing new, it's the same old "stay there and press 1-2-3-4-5. sometimes dodge the red circle". much innovation! so wow!
elite skills have barely any impact, they're nothing like those in gw whom you would construct a whole build around. it took nothing of all the things which made gw unique, which hugely worsen its situation.
now go eat a bag of dicks.

Shammy

Learned
the game is horrible, is exactly like thousands of other korean mmos out there, it introduces nothing new, it's the same old "stay there and press 1-2-3-4-5. sometimes dodge the red circle". much innovation! so wow!
GW2 is far, far less grindy than a typical KMMO. Leveling is not "grab quest, complete quest, rinse and repeat" and, while definitely similar to traditional questing, is a bit more fluid and easy on the player. Also I can't think of an MMO that gives you skills based on your weapons, with weapon swap. There probably is one out there of course, but it isn't exaclty widespread.
elite skills have barely any impact, they're nothing like those in gw whom you would construct a whole build around. it took nothing of all the things which made gw unique, which hugely worsen its situation.
There are a number of PvP and PvE builds where Elites are very impactful, and in some cases completely built around them. Maybe not to the extent as say Barrage Ranger from GW1, but they definitely have impact. Examples of this are Rampage Warrior, Time Warp for mesmer, Phalanx Strength with banners, the list goes on. Saying Elite skills have barely any impact is completely false.

i'm not talking about the grind. hell, tabula rasa had almost nothing but grind but the game was tons of fun. gw2 is, as already said, "stand there and shoot all you have. sometimes move away from the red circle" which is pure boredom distilled, i've done that thousands of times already, i want something new (no, skills tied to weapons is a concept basically born with the videogames themselves), something like a whole party to manage, having to put some serious thought in my build and usage of skills or i'll never be able to do anything worthwhile, fights where timing and positioning are of essence and where often alpha striking means failure, several skills which deeply interact between them, understanding how my enemy fight and have the right skills and prioritise the right targets or i'll be eaten alive instead of just being worried about dps...
oh wait, that's nothing new at all, that's fucking GUILD WARS.
instead all i got was korean mmo #13469.

but this discussion is pointless, you're never going to listen, that's not the reason you're here.

Shammy

Learned
i'm not talking about the grind. hell, tabula rasa had almost nothing but grind but the game was tons of fun. gw2 is, as already said, "stand there and shoot all you have. sometimes move away from the red circle" which is pure boredom distilled, i've done that thousands of times already, i want something new (no, skills tied to weapons is a concept basically born with the videogames themselves), something like a whole party to manage, having to put some serious thought in my build and usage of skills or i'll never be able to do anything worthwhile, fights where timing and positioning are of essence and where often alpha striking means failure, several skills which deeply interact between them, understanding how my enemy fight and have the right skills and prioritise the right targets or i'll be eaten alive instead of just being worried about dps...
oh wait, that's nothing new at all, that's fucking GUILD WARS.
instead all i got was korean mmo #13469.

but this discussion is pointless, you're never going to listen, that's not the reason you're here.
So you want challenging, skill based PvE content then? I agree that the current PvE content is lacking in the challenging department, mainly because of the horrible AI. I also understand the "wanting something new and unique" but the fact of the matter is that every MMO is going to have bits and pieces from older ones, be it conscious or unconscious design choices. I think its unfair to say its a generic kmmo since, on top of being a western one, shares very little DNA with them. What makes it 'korenan' to you? The graphics? Action oriented combat? These are but pieces of a whole, and you can't just affix on them without seeing the big picture.

And the reason I'm here is to discuss rpg's, hopefully in a meaningful and a way that doesn't involve ad hominem. But this is the codex :M

SerratedBiz

Arcane
You can tell he's been drinking the kool-aid and just repeating what he's been instructed to say by heart. That's why he gets all fucking edgy in an attempt to inflate his argument with vapid insults.

Lhynn

Arcane
I think its fair to say you guys dont even know what innovative truly is. from what ive seen gw2 is just banal shit boring mmo tripe. Ill still try the f2p thing and let you know my thoughts tho.

Krraloth

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2
I think that having being called Guild Wars 2 hurts the game more than anything. As far as I reached playing the game (level 30ish on 5 classes) I cannot help comparing GW2 to GW1 and that is what bothers me the most: there is no more huge pool of skills, the class feel all somewhat samey (you could get creative with GW1 classes see 50 hp monk) the enemies feel dumber than the ones in GW1, the world (what little I've seen) feels bland and full of generic things to do in it.
I enjoyed the bosses and minibosses events in the fields until I saw a farm train or however they're called and I got called a fucktard for daring to attack a boss. The crafting is busywork and the changes to the leveling system that came up (somewhat) recently where they tied masteries and progression to level I didn't enjoy.

I will the first to admit that I haven't reached the level cap or played a wvw or a fractal, but that is where the core problem for me is: I'm bored by a game that feel soulless and treats me like I'm some sort of retard preventing me from picking and choosing skills as I like, so it's not a surprise I can't hit level 60 (or is it 80?). Maybe I shouldn't compare the two games but I didn't choose the name, they did.
I regret buying it.

Iajawl

Hoaxmetal Thanks for all of that information. You mentioned that WvW was restricted to level 60+ and that speech in PvP lobbies was restricted to 20+. Do you know when actual PvP is unlocked (or how). By this I mean whatever the GW2 equivelant of wow style battlegrounds is.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
From wiki it looks like battlegrounds-like pvp is unlocked at level 22. They really went overboard with the level locked content a few months ago.

So you want challenging, skill based PvE content then? I agree that the current PvE content is lacking in the challenging department, mainly because of the horrible AI. I also understand the "wanting something new and unique" but the fact of the matter is that every MMO is going to have bits and pieces from older ones, be it conscious or unconscious design choices. I think its unfair to say its a generic kmmo since, on top of being a western one, shares very little DNA with them. What makes it 'korenan' to you? The graphics? Action oriented combat? These are but pieces of a whole, and you can't just affix on them without seeing the big picture.

And the reason I'm here is to discuss rpg's, hopefully in a meaningful and a way that doesn't involve ad hominem. But this is the codex :M
see? you're not even listening. dismissing or outright inverting stuff i JUST said.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Right, I think I might try this out now that it's "free".

I remember when Guild Wars 1 came out and Exitium/Sol Invictus convinced us all to play. Spent many an hour online with the regulars of the time (PennyAnte - our token tranny, Merry...). Even St Proverbius joined for a while, until giving up in disgust (but not before posting at great length about its sucktitude). That was back in the days where I was an academic with no kids, so I could play during the hours that the rest of the world was awake.

We had a Codex guild called "Tyranny of Choice", I think? I even became leader for a while, mainly due to people abandoning the post.
Then I got a real job, and could only play late at night while indulging in alcoholism. Merry Andrew and SlyDrak would take pity on me and help me out occasionally. Deathboy (my RL best bud) joined. None of you will remember them. Ah well.

I think I just found the thread where it all started: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/guild-wars.6943/

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom