Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Guild Wars 2 Thread

v1rus

Arcane
Idk. Personal story sucked, big time. That god damn sylvari and his god damn speeches. Bunch of other stuff was fun tho. Sum of the areas looked magnificent. Living story had couple of interesting episodes, and jumping puzzles were awesome. Actually, most of fun i had in GW2 was doing the achievements. I also liked the whole map completition thing, with vistas/pois and other stuff. Heck, i think lot of work went into world design, shame it doesnt show. I also liked the dodge mechanic, finally, an mmo where reflexes actually matter.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Idk. Personal story sucked, big time. That god damn sylvari and his god damn speeches. Bunch of other stuff was fun tho.
I don't disagree. What I meant was that if they got rid of the Personal Story, they could've made the other stuff even more fun.

I also liked the dodge mechanic, finally, an mmo where reflexes actually matter.
I didn't like it because it was on a cooldown. And that it was easy. Granted I play action games a lot. In other words I felt it didn't go far enough in terms of reflex challenge. I'd rather have the enemies attack more overwhelmingly and I would have to dodge a lot more. Either that or no dodge. Go full action or don't even try.

I didn't like it because it was on a cooldown. And that it was easy. Granted I play action games a lot. In other words I felt it didn't go far enough in terms of reflex challenge. I'd rather have the enemies attack more overwhelmingly and I would have to dodge a lot more. Either that or no dodge. Go full action or don't even try.

The fact that 90% of what you were supposed to be dodging ended up being obviously telegraphed AoE attacks that have large red circles on the ground before they hit was an extreme insult to the intelligence of pretty much anyone with an IQ above room temperature.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron

The fact that 90% of what you were supposed to be dodging ended up being obviously telegraphed AoE attacks that have large red circles on the ground before they hit was an extreme insult to the intelligence of pretty much anyone with an IQ above room temperature.
+1.

Edit: Moreover it seems they balanced NPC red circle attacks around the fact that you could only dodge very few times because of the cooldown, so it was even more brainless since it happened only once in a while.

Well in general the cooldowns and the such limited number of attacks made combat even more brainless than WoW. What was it, you had like 2-3 moves that you would use 90% of the time, which you obviously used when they came off cooldown, with a few situational skills that were obvious, and then one elite skill?

Incidentally, it was the classes that did not necessarily rely on dodging that were more interesting. Like the Elementalist, I think. But I honestly don't remember because I stopped playing a while ago, due to a separate topic (reaaallly repetitive environments as you progressed, and also reaallly boring character progression).

In PVE WoW, even as a Warrior, the optimal playstyle required switching between 2 stances (I forget if using the tank/3rd stance was part of the leveling rotation). And note that I already find "MMO rotations" in games like WoW suuuuper routine and learnable in under a minute. It always pissed me off when someone said "oh my god, WoW/theme park MMOs have such complex rotations you have to relearn every time you level." My ass.

Honestly if you wanted an action "MMO" the closest to having entertaining action combat would be Neverwinter Online. NWO also had red circles, but (A) it was more fast paced (B) you could move out of them without dodging and (C) it was useful to dodge even non-red circle attacks.

Even TERA isn't that good because shitty enemy AI dilutes the point of hack & slash.

Well anyways, I did argue against you Average Manatee that I would withhold judgment on the dodge system until release, but after release I completely agree what they did was terrible. I don't mind change for the sake of change but you obviously gotta change it to something of quality.

Last edited:

v1rus

Arcane
Meh, you guys are prolly right. Still, sum reflex > no reflexes. Even this poor mans dodge was too hard for the scrubs. I remember the first time i fought Lupi. I was scared shitless, people over hyped him like toughest son of a bitch ever. So there i was, standing across this gigantic motherfucker, while he tossed aoe around arena, when i realized, the only bloody thing u need to do is to dodge. No tough mother fucking dodges tho, just your regular, casual dodges. And mofos still found that too hard. You just cant have hardcore MMOs, since that first M stands for Massive, and you dont hit massive for being hardcore or well-thought

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
By trying to kill the role triforce, Anet reduced the game to one single role, DPS.
The implementation may be flawed, but the "holy trinity" in most MMOs is absolute shit. Playing a tank or healer sucks, it's why the vast majority of players choose DPS and people only play tank or healer so they can find groups. For all its faults, GW2 is still a much better game than WoW and its clones.

v1rus

Arcane
Never had dat much problem with holy trinity. Proll cuz i was alwayz dps, lelz, get pwn3d.

only with the demolitionist in tabula rasa i've had as much fun as with control mesmer and interrupt ranger in gw1.
fuck dps, fun is fun.

v1rus

Arcane
fuck dps, fun is fun.

That's also true.

Sadly, in most cases, holy trinity is everythin' but fun. I actually gave wow another spin last year. Dear mother of god, the horror. Oh, the horror. It was only a trial, but I've seen things you wouldn't believe. Insta AOE taunts without cooldown or mana cost. I've seen skills light up so retards wouldn't screw up the rotation. And all those moments happen over and over, cause people still play that piece of garbage.

Last edited:

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
For all its faults, GW2 is still a much better game than WoW and its clones.
Yes and no. In PVP (including RVR), definitely. But I don't think GW2 can compete PVE-wise, at least compared to WoW (not its clones). I've found WoW 5/10/20-mans to be much more satisfying. Vanilla dungeons were hard, mang.

Leveling is fucking boring in both GW2 and WoW so whatever.

Edit: What I do like about GW2 is unique support abilities like the Guardian's collision detection shields. But again those really don't apply outside of PVP. That's the problem. They might as well have gotten rid of PVE and just focused on Arena PVP and RvR.

Again, I say that ArenaNet's main problem is they spread themselves too thin. Personal story yughhhhhghgh

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
fuck dps, fun is fun.

That's also true.

Sadly, in most cases, holy trinity is everythin' but fun. I actually gave wow another spin last year. Dear mother of god, the horror. Oh, the horror. It was only a trial, but I've seen things you wouldn't believe. Insta AOE taunts without cooldown or mana cost. I've seen skills light up so retards wouldn't screw up the rotation. And all those moments happen over and over, cause people still play that piece of garbage.
I only played during Vanilla but it was tough shit back then. DPS REAALLY had to watch out for aggro management, there were often bosses that required multiple Tanks to rotate, Healers also had to rotate in order to conserve mana. Oh yeah, and watching for patrolling mobs, that shit. Urgh.

Then I heard Burning Crusade was the pinnacle, but I haven't played.

So I guess they dumbed down everything after that?

Edit: I sure as hell don't remember any AOE Taunts that had no cooldowns. That's butt-fucking retarded. TBH I liked tanking more than DPSing (back then) because DPSing made me fall asleep.

Yeesh

Magister
fuck dps, fun is fun.

That's also true.

I only played during Vanilla but it was tough shit back then. DPS REAALLY had to watch out for aggro management, there were often bosses that required multiple Tanks to rotate, Healers also had to rotate in order to conserve mana. Oh yeah, and watching for patrolling mobs, that shit. Urgh.

Then I heard Burning Crusade was the pinnacle, but I haven't played.

So I guess they dumbed down everything after that?

Edit: I sure as hell don't remember any AOE Taunts that had no cooldowns. That's butt-fucking retarded. TBH I liked tanking more than DPSing (back then) because DPSing made me fall asleep.
That's the point, WoW is nothing like what you remembered. I went back for a little while after Cataclysm. Just like v1rus said, it's pure stupid-mode. It was actually depressing to see how ruthlessly they'd dumbed everything down. To see players partying with absolutely no communication, cooperation, or skill, and the game rewarding them instead of punishing. I level'd to 79 or so and it was plenty easy to solo but partying was just a pointless joke. Not rewarding in a challenging gameplay sense, pointless in the gearing sense. And sad.

So comparing GW2 to WoW as it stands now (which is presumably far shittier than it was in 2011), it's very easy to believe GW2 is better across the board. The WoW you're thinking of has been dead for oh so very long.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
So Living Season 3 starts today and you can't access it unless you own Heart of Thorns. At least you can unlock episodes through regular means of logging in so you have them if you ever decide to buy the expansion, though.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/releases/july-26-2016/

Out of the Shadows

In the aftermath of Mordremoth’s death, the Pact Commander and their allies celebrate their victories—and mourn their losses. But as an old threat emerges into the light, what comes next will cast doubt on everything Tyria’s heroes think they know.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Is it worth buying Heart of Thorns?
I enjoyed the campaign/story and the new areas are alright. Unfortunately, there's nobody ever on the last map (dragon's stand), which means that it's impossible to really do shit there. The new 'minigames' are fun and challenging for the most part. The meta events are not bad and can be pretty interesting. But the content itself will at most keep you playing for a month before waiting for more shit to be added, which is kinda where I am at right now. (haven't gotten a chance to try the new living story season yet)

Black

Arcane
Stolen from 8chan
I thought you may use a nice cup of rage.
fqYSDFs.jpg
IjqnUG0.png

ddde1616fe683730cb1f2537f7f09b4ca70d5a8d01aef099d2d6c8f9d66cf7f8.png

I see their writing hasn't changed.

Apparently the trannies are also pretty lazy about getting shit done. 1 expansion in 4 years? The entire GW1 series was concluded in two.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
And here I thought having that lesbian couple making out was already dangerous territory. Guess having gays is soooo last decade, gotta have trannies now.

But it does make the game more Codex approved and warrants another half-a-troll on top of "it's good for what it is". :salute:

Bliblablubb

Arcane
After hearing so many complains about personal story (which I had liked so far), I finally did the lvl 60 part on Claw Island.

What. The. Fuck.

Did the real writers and devs took a day off and left the janitor in charge?
I am not even complaining about the writing, as clichee as it is. First they introduce Treefag as the bestest negromancer evah and than he just follows me like a pet, doing nothing at all. In fact my twisted tentaclerape minipet did more than him, at least it produced clicking noises.

Cannons magically explode to remove all defenses, but the ship blows up after one lousy shot from the tebuchet? After that a magic superpoison attack kills me from behind while I am supposed to talk to the captain.
And I just lie there. Constant influx of enemies preventing me from standing up. While my mentor and treefag stand there picking their noses. And nagging me to talk to the captain (who just stands beside them doing nothing as welll).
If I had watched that on youtube I had laughed my ass off. Screw you Lion's Arch, you deserve to die.

And now I am stuck with Treefag. He doesn't tire adding "I'll accompany you, you NEED my help" to every conversation. You are contributing nothing you useless piece of firewood and SFTU already!

Can it get any worse? Oh yes it can. Now Treefag is declared the hero of this game and I am only his trusty sidekick. :argh:

I'll better get back to keeping the adorable fish pirate captain in charge event before I do something I might regret...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom