Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Guild Wars 2 Thread

Stokowski

Arcane
1 Zerker build
1 Condi build

What are more slots needed for?

They had something really special with GuildWars, and they threw everything that was good about it out the window.
Fucking retards. Everywhere.

Mostly a different team that made GW2 compared to the team that made GW1. It wasn't an overnight staff change, but you can sort of see how GW1 was drifting in that direction over time. Initial release, heavily PvP-focused game. First year or two it's getting polished and better and better for PvP, Factions tries to get even the PvE-focused players into some form of PvP via FA/JQ/AB, then Nightfall comes out with minimal PvP integration it its campaign, heroes, lots of PvE-only skills. Then PvP and PvE skills start getting split. Then full hero parties. EotN comes out (by this point the studio is mostly different from Prophecies) and serves mainly as a way of shoehorning shit that isn't part of GW's lore like Asura, "muh good Charr", Norn, etc into GW1 so they can claim all their new trash lore was totally part of the original game and not a massive dump/retcon on the original game.

I don't think the GW2 team could have made a good Prophecies/Factions-style GW1 game if they wanted to, they just inherited something great, pooped on it a little, and then made their own game and naturally it had not much to do with the original game because it was made mostly by different people, including some who had never even played GW1.

Note that I don't think GW2 is a bad game. I think as MMOs go it's actually one of the better ones. It's complete rubbish as a Guild Wars game, because Guild Wars means something and GW2 ain't it, but in and of itself it's not bad.

Codex Year of the Donut
Is this worth playing?
this thing is the lead designer of GW2
image.png

what do you think the answer is?

ultra loser

Scholar
They announced a new expansion and it looks like it might be Cantha.
Maybe that will make me play the game but I'm not sure if it's worth it at this point.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Steam users finally getting the chance to see how you can ruin a franchise with your 2nd installment.

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
Alive and well. Not sure what all the butthurt is about. GW2 is not GW1, but it’s not like you can’t still play GW1. On it’s own merits, it’s a very solid MMO, and the only one I’ve returned to over and over again across the last 8 years.

The servers still have a massive population, so rumors that this thing is dead are truly exaggerated.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Alive and well. Not sure what all the butthurt is about. GW2 is not GW1, but it’s not like you can’t still play GW1. On it’s own merits, it’s a very solid MMO, and the only one I’ve returned to over and over again across the last 8 years.

The servers still have a massive population, so rumors that this thing is dead are truly exaggerated.

A massive population of whales and furries, maybe.

ADL

Prophet
I have a feeling this comes way too late. Still, I like GW2 for what it is so it's welcome.
I feel the same way. They should have just set Guild Wars 3's base game in Cantha with a complete engine rebuild and a bunch of new core systems. Wrap up the dragon storyline in a living world season or two. Accounting for the inevitable delay, this will likely come around the game's tenth anniversary.

They've been smart designing around their technical limitations so far but I'd like to see them significantly improve their tech before attempting Kaineng City in an open world setting.

kaineng-city-guild-wars-30872-1920x1200.jpg

161367-guild-wars-factions-windows-screenshot-an-area-loading-screen.jpg

Bara

Arcane
Doesn't really matter but thought it was interesting. Apparently anyone playing GW2 now will not be able to login with their accounts on the Steam version.

They don't want to give up 30% of existing users micro-transaction sales when trying to get steam users on board and get 70% out of them.

With the steam release and the upcoming expansion feels like their last big attempt to grow their user base.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom