Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The History of Bethesda Game Studios - Elder Scrolls / Fallout NoClip Documentary

Lexx

Cipher
lol @ calling Fo1/2 combat "VATS". I facepalmed hard.

mitochondritom

Educated
Almost as much as the reveal that after designing an Arena for each village in Oblivion only to have it axed prior to release due to disc space, the designer did it again for Skyrim. I look forward to seeing an Arena in every village in the Elder Scrolls VI: Akavir or wherever it ends up.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Almost as much as the reveal that after designing an Arena for each village in Oblivion only to have it axed prior to release due to disc space, the designer did it again for Skyrim. I look forward to seeing an Arena in every village in the Elder Scrolls VI: Akavir or wherever it ends up.

Their argument doesn't make sense.... have they ever heard of a game coming out on *gasp* 2 dvds ?

In early 90's games had 5-10 floppies.

mitochondritom

Educated
It makes less sense when they say that it doesn't matter today because you can download extra files for your console, but then ignore the fact they repeated it all with Skyrim back in 2011. I remember getting it on my PS3 because my laptop at the time was shit and being really pissed off that I had to download gigabytes worth of stuff almost immediately after installing it. There was room for all those Arenas Emil, you just got fucked by Todd!!!

While there are more voice actors in Skyrim compared to Oblivion, you still end up hearing the same fucking guy all over the place. There is the Arnold "get to da chopper" Guard in every city and every male Breton sounds like Minsc. I haven't played Fallout 4, but I bet its the same there as well.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
All that article said was that he was acquitted, but looking deeper into it it turns out that he settled with the Federal Reserve for $5m and agreed to be banned from banking some years later. Although in the citation on Wikipedia that led to a New York Times article said that he possibly profited up to $10m in the stock deal and this only meant forfeiting half their earnings. I'm gonna stay :balance: and not really outright agree or disagree with his statement either way but I do know that Zenimax is a sketchy company and the allegations of their takeovers of other game developers are pretty bad.

Doktor Best

Arcane
The documentary is really shallow. Anecdotes and thats pretty much it, like already mentioned.

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
To know who rules over you, simply find out who you can't criticize.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
I never got why Noclip is so famous. Shallow was one of my first thoughts when I watched his documentaries. Sometimes it's infuriating to see that with a little more effort and - more important - journalistic understanding / training, he could have done something really good, but he confines himself to amateur level.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
They wanted that initial impression to be overwhelming to players, which is why Fallout 3, Skyrim, and Fallout 4 all feature the player staring out into an open expanse when they exit the starting sequence. They wanted players to try to say "where do I go, what do I do" when they play.
Sentiments so contradictory with how gameplay mechanics are implemented, like the quest arrow that always points exactly where you should be.

This kind of argument and marketing is what Bethesda is strongest at: bullshitting and dreaming about things that don't actually happen in their games. "where do I go, what do I do" is something you never have to ask while playing bethesda stuff.

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
Bethesda games don't have designers, wtf are you people talking about
If they have, then for a fact those designers have no pnp rpg experience, like Ken Rolston and Bruce Nesmith had.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
So, apparently Bethesda refers to Skyrim as "the game that will never die." Shitty way of thinking. It's why we have so many unwanted ports. Fuck off with this shit.

Doktor Best

Arcane
So, apparently Bethesda refers to Skyrim as "the game that will never die." Shitty way of thinking. It's why we have so many unwanted ports. Fuck off with this shit.

Its the Sistine Chapel, the Beethovens Fifth of RPG games. People will in a thousand years still laugh their asses of at that witty arrow to the knee joke.

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
I like to think in a thousand years, the earth's mantle will slip and we'll all get whipped off the planet leaving no trace of us to pervert whatever spacefaring civilizations may pass by.

Beastro

Arcane
  • Todd talks about Fallout 3's initial quest (escaping Vault 101) and how they were happy with how it turned out. He did mention how it was annoying on following playthroughs to have to sit through that sequence again, but says that opening moment from exiting the vault really hammered home that 'fish out of water' feeling.

Beastro

Arcane
More poplar games.

:lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom