Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Icewind Dale The Icewind Dale Series Thread

Wyrmlord

Arcane
3 intelligence
His job is to swing a sword and know what berries to pick to survive in the wild.

He is not supposed to be a genius.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Well, Charisma, Wisdom, and Intelligence are all checked during conversations at various points in the game, so it's not entirely pointless. You only need them on a couple characters though.
Those characters happen to be the ones who receive a combat benefit from putting points into those stats.

roshan

Arcane
Btw patched gog version reads, in the info inside the game, that "Tyrant's Dictim" makes dreadmaster's spells cast at +1 DC. That's not much it's just another +2 WIS. Where am I wrong? I don't even remember if INT or WIS are added to DC in d&d 3, I think they should, but crpg's all treat DC rules differently. NWN 2 definitely had that, but what about IWD 2.

Yeah, the bonus provided by your casting stat is added to your DC. So if you have 18 WIS, that's +4 to your DC.

The Dreadmaster gets a +1 from Tyrant's Dictum, +2 WIS from the Banite quest reward, another +2 WIS when you do the Banite quest in HOF. That's a total of +3.

Also, as far as I know, the DC of your spells isn't modified by character level, only spell level, the range of which is 1 to 9. So to get an additional +1-3 on top of that is pretty good.

Plus, most of the Dreadmaster's bonus spells require a Will based DC, so that makes these bonuses quite useful.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
So I just started a Solo, Level 1, Heart of Fury game in Icewind Dale.

Just like Icewind Dale 2, the magic of Animate Dead makes it surprisingly easy to do so.

I used a Mage/Cleric, but I suspect a pure cleric would have been better for soloing this game on HoF.

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
Is there any extra content for IWD2? like, fan made extra campaigns/content?

kmonster

Augur
So I just started a Solo, Level 1, Heart of Fury game in Icewind Dale.

Just like Icewind Dale 2, the magic of Animate Dead makes it surprisingly easy to do so.

I used a Mage/Cleric, but I suspect a pure cleric would have been better for soloing this game on HoF.

Mage/Cleric is far easier for soloing HoF mode than pure cleric, those animated dead won't stand a chance versus the monsters you'll face later in the game.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
Feats & Skills Mod by Michael J. Lee (Submitted)1kbDownload
This mod was made to step a little away from the D&D core rules and allow more feats and skill points per level, namely all classes get at least two feats per level and all races receive a base of 4 additional skill points per level before modifiers.

:neveraskedforthis:

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
Is there any extra content for IWD2? like, fan made extra campaigns/content?
Check these sites:
http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/IWD2/index_mods.php
http://modlist.pocketplane.net/index.php?ax=list&cat_id=53
http://www.gibberlings3.net/
Most mods are just rule/item tweaks, not much extra content.

thanks, i knew about those but i was hoping more for some extra campaigns or stuff like that, á la nwn modules. i guess they don't exist. a shame, really.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://gibberlings3.net/

Icewind Dale Fixpack v6 Now Available
The Icewind Dale Fixpack is designed to fix several bugs and errors that remain in the game after the official patches have been applied. Version 6 adds a handful of new fixes and corrects a bug that would produce invincible revenants. The Fixpack works with or without the expansions Heart of Winter and Trials of the Luremaster installed. In fact, many issues quietly fixed by Heart of Winter or Trials of the Luremaster have been rolled back to every version of the game. Download the mod, check out the readme or project page (including new, extensive documentation), or come participate in the forums.

Version 15 of the Icewind Dale Tweak Pack Released
This is a collection of tweaks that have been assembled for Icewind Dale. Version 15 features two new components, Friendly Random Drops and Remove Experience Cap as well as a lone bug fix. This mod is a compilation of cosmetic changes and tweaks. Some of these were fan requests, others are needed fixes, and others simply make dealing with the more irritating aspects of the game engine easier. Each component can be installed separately so the player can pick and choose only which ones they wish to install. Download the mod, check out the readme or project page, or come participate in the forums.

New tweak:

Friendly Random Drops
One of IWD's funner aspects can also be one of its most frustrating: random drops. Various chests and creatures will pick an item from a list of posibilities once you enter their area, making certain powerful and unusual items unavailable in a given game--a common frustration is missing elven chain mail for bards. This component gives players some control over this process by letting them select from one of three options:

• Re-Randomize on Reload - This option simply re-picks the random item whenever you reload or revisit an area, so you can stand beside a chest and mash quickload.
  • Choose Your Drop - The random items are replaced with tokens, which can be immediately exchanged for your choice of an item from the original table.
  • Exchange with Merchants - This component will have the normal random drops when you travel through the world, but adds a merchant in Kuldahar and one in Lonelywood (if HoW is installed). These merchants will allow you to exchange your items for another item in the table--for a commission, of course.
o_O I guess that can be nice.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Can anybody install that new tweak? I'm getting some bullshit about a missing "cdyucham.cre".

EDIT: It seems to have something to do with the Restored Random Drops component from the Unfinished Business mod.

Last edited:

Xeon

Augur
I got all the badges and I think finished all side quests, Now starting the expansion. Hjollder has an awesome voice and Wyrm's Tooth looks good. Probably will start IWD2 next week.

I wish if Roguey does more reviews. Thank you :salute:

Last edited:

Xeon

Augur
Currently doing the Trial of the Lore master expansion. Not having a lot of fun with this one. Everywhere I go I need to kill something. Just entered the castle and I think I'll take a break.

Had a tough time against Harpies at the Northwest tower especially because of some scripted sequence where the queen talks to me and some her harpies close in on me and the teleporting undead in the crypt, I really hate it those. Also I think a thief was a must at the crypt. They teleported my thief the first time and had her hide in shadows so she don't get killed and couldn't find a way to reach her until I reloaded and had her find the hidden doors.

Blackguard

Learned
Currently doing the Trial of the Lore master expansion. Not having a lot of fun with this one. Everywhere I go I need to kill something. Just entered the castle and I think I'll take a break.

Had a tough time against Harpies at the Northwest tower especially because of some scripted sequence where the queen talks to me and some her harpies close in on me and the teleporting undead in the crypt, I really hate it those. Also I think a thief was a must at the crypt. They teleported my thief the first time and had her hide in shadows so she don't get killed and couldn't find a way to reach her until I reloaded and had her find the hidden doors.

I don't know when you started TotL, but at least for me it was incredibly easy after doing most of the main story and couple of the HoW areas before starting it.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
When soloing IWD my F/M/T found Luremaster significantly harder than the main game. I seem to recall my party really struggling there as well.

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
When soloing IWD my F/M/T found Luremaster significantly harder than the main game. I seem to recall my party really struggling there as well.
Thanks for reminding me I never soloed IWD. When the first snow falls and provides the right mood, I'll get to it :)

Baron Dupek

Arcane
I have opposite - never played games with "winter theme" in that moment. Just can't stand it. Mostly by ineffective heating system in my room.
Second playthrough in IWD was good till Luremaster happen (I know it's optional but it was before my completion habit burn out, which happen after F:NV and his loot transport). Reached inner castle part after tombs and leaved game.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I thought the teleporting undead was brilliant. In general, splitting up the party in a dungeon is always a neat idea. (Realms of Arkania, Demise, etc.)
The undead in TotL encourage save-reloading, modern Josh wouldn't approve.

aleph

Arcane
I thought the teleporting undead was brilliant. In general, splitting up the party in a dungeon is always a neat idea. (Realms of Arkania, Demise, etc.)
The undead in TotL encourage save-reloading, modern Josh wouldn't approve.

Are there actually designs, with a working implementation not just pipe dreams, Sawyer would approve of?

aleph

Arcane
Are there actually designs, with a working implementation not just pipe dreams, Sawyer would approve of?
http://spring.me/JESawyer/q/476555580379526832

I read there that he likes some things about IE games despite the problems with design he sees (imagines). But approval? Sorry, but I don't see the part where he actually approves of something.

Anyway, that was more of a rhetorical question. I was not really interested in an answer from you. I don't actually put any value in your words.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom