Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Icewind Dale The Icewind Dale Series Thread

Dorateen

Arcane
I have opposite - never played games with "winter theme" in that moment. Just can't stand it.

That's an interesting observation. Icewind Dale was released in late June, and I played it over the summer of 2000. On the other hand, I loaded up Heart of Winter just after a blizzard in early March 2001.

I still maintain that autumn is the best atmosphere for AD&D style adventuring.

Exar Kun

Scholar
Figured I'd just drop this question here as you guys were very helpful with getting my IWD to work.

I recently arrived in college so I'm trying to setup Planescape Torment. I have all the mods I want. However, I don't seem to have a config file. Does the gog version of PST not have a config file and is it automatically set to highest graphical fidelity?
Doesn't seem to be the case because my GOG version of IWD has a config file where I can enable 3D acceleration and set everything to the highest graphics settings. Did something go wrong in my install or is PST different?

I had an old 2CD copy at home, but my Dad wouldn't let me take it to college (Lol) so I just bought the GOG version. I remember there being a config file in that one...

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Figured I'd just drop this question here as you guys were very helpful with getting my IWD to work.

I recently arrived in college so I'm trying to setup Planescape Torment. I have all the mods I want. However, I don't seem to have a config file. Does the gog version of PST not have a config file and is it automatically set to highest graphical fidelity?
Doesn't seem to be the case because my GOG version of IWD has a config file where I can enable 3D acceleration and set everything to the highest graphics settings. Did something go wrong in my install or is PST different?

I had an old 2CD copy at home, but my Dad wouldn't let me take it to college (Lol) so I just bought the GOG version. I remember there being a config file in that one...

PS:T doesn't have a config program.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
The disc version I've had since forever installs a config file (*.ini), the GOG version should also have this, as it allows you to set some things you cannot set with in-game menu.

PS:T doesn't have OpenGL acceleration, though. Only BG2 and IWD1 with HoW have the option.

eremita

Savant
So I'm gonna finnish BG2:EE soon (it's not actually enhanced that much but that's different story...) and I would really like to continue my journey through Infinity Engine games. Too bad I played all of them already, but thanks to my shitty memory, I don't remember much of IWD series. I remember the first being extremely boring so I'll pass that one for sure but the second one might be worth a try... So If you could help me to finally decide by answering my question, I would really appreciate that. So here's the question: How about character's skills and feats? Are they usefull? Am I gonna feel that my ranger is really helping me survive shit with his tracking/survival skills for example? Maybe some unique dialogues/optional paths based on class/race?? I remember some unique dialogues for Drows. That shit was cool... as far as I'm aware, no DnD based game could simulate uniqueness of DnD classes and that's really fucked up. Hell' that's the only reason I'm still playing Skyrim occasionally... Feel free to share your thoughts about IWD2 generally, this site is eternal circle of the same topics anyway...

Last edited:

Xeon

Augur
I don't know if it helps but Roguey did a pretty good reviews of both IWD games.

I only finished the main game of IWD1 IIRC but I can't remember much.

Edit:
Eremita, I think Duraframe was asking for impression on BG2EE's extra contents, Link if you are interested.

Last edited:

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
IWD 2 is completely skipable. The beginning part at Targos might make you think it otherwise, as admittedly it's one of the high points of IE gaming. After you leave Targos however, the game is a downward spiral into derp and boring.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
IWD 2 is completely skipable. The beginning part at Targos might make you think it otherwise, as admittedly it's one of the high points of IE gaming. After you leave Targos however, the game is a downward spiral into derp and boring.
Good, I thought it was just me. I made it as far as the Ice Temple. I still have my savegame, so there's still a chance I'll continue it at a later point.

jdinatale

Cipher
Hey, I'm going to start playing IWD for the first time. I want a simple, straight forward party (no dual classing) that I can mix-max and crush everything in my way. I was thinking:

3 Fighters (sword + shield, axe, bow)
1 Thief
1 Cleric
1 Mage

Does that sound like an OK build? If so, what races do I pick and what stats do I aim for on each character?

Dorateen

Arcane
Looks like a good composition to me. I would consider making one of your fighters a paladin, there is a neat weapon you might find. As for races, you probably want to take along one dwarf. Maybe more, but that would be unfair to the enemy.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Single class Thieves are useless. Get a Fighter/Thief instead.
You may also want to diversify your fighting men a bit. A Paladin, Ranger and Fighter is more fun than three Fighters.

jdinatale

Cipher
Thanks for the quick responses. I figured paladin, ranger, and fighter would be more fun anyways. Is sword + shield, bow, and axe (respectively) fine, or should the paladin be a blunt weapon?

I was thinking have the fighter be the dwarf. Should everyone else be a human?

octavius

Arcane
Patron
You may want to spread out on races and weapon skills to be able to use as many different items as possible. Some items are race restricted.

jdinatale

Cipher
I'll do that, thanks. Assuming I don't go full retard in making my party, in this game is it possible to have a "you're screwed" moment where you didn't build your party correctly and have to start over?

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
Remember that you can play with the smaller party. XP does not scale in IWD I - you will level faster and roflstomp everything.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
Assuming I don't go full retard in making my party, in this game is it possible to have a "you're screwed" moment where you didn't build your party correctly and have to start over?
I don't think so. There are no mandatory race/sex/class moments, llike in some earlier M&M games (and even then it was for optional quests only) and as for difficulty, the game is easy enough to complete unless you're a terrible, terrible player. You'll probably reload some fights here and there, you may have to retry the final one a couple of times, but that's about it.

Last edited:

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Hey, I'm going to start playing IWD for the first time. I want a simple, straight forward party (no dual classing) that I can mix-max and crush everything in my way. I was thinking:

3 Fighters (sword + shield, axe, bow)
1 Thief
1 Cleric
1 Mage

Does that sound like an OK build? If so, what races do I pick and what stats do I aim for on each character?
It's an OK party for normal, but I think playing IWD on higher difficulty levels is more fun, game gets quite hard but rewards you with lots of extra exp.

Anyways, pure cleric is boring, pure thief is both boring and useless. It would be a good idea to dual class both. Bards are a pretty interesting choice in IWD, they are good support casters, there are quite a few nice items to steal, they give you some additional dialogue lines and they've got a variety of useful songs.

Take at least one evil character as well, it makes no difference for npcs and there are quite a few alignment restricted items, some of them powerful. There's also a nice helmet for sale early on that can be worn by gnomes/halfings only (afair?).

If you decide to play with smaller team and/or on higher difficulty then make sure to dual class your mage(s).

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I'll do that, thanks. Assuming I don't go full retard in making my party, in this game is it possible to have a "you're screwed" moment where you didn't build your party correctly and have to start over?

Generally any party will do as long as you have some who can fight, do thiefly things, cast damage spells and heal.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Your paladin should be specced into longswords. PALE JUSTICE

IWD is extremely easy for the most part imo. Also if you bump up the difficulty you can disable the "enemies get more health" aspect in the ini.

DemonKing

Arcane
Avoid Single Classed thieves. Either multi as a fighter or mage.

Paladins are decent in a good-aligned party.

Ranger/Cleric is a decent combo and remember only single-classed fighters can get more than two points in weapon proficiency.

Not many people like Bards but I lke them for the free identify ability (high Lore), pickpocket (you can get some good stuff picking pockets) and back up spell-casting abilities. Plus some of the songs at higher levels are pretty good.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
This is a minor loot spoiler, but you mentioned you will be min-maxing so it might be helpful in planning your party:
there is helm that lowers AC by 3, but is only wearable by halflings and gnomes, with the following classes restricted: mage, bard, thief. It would be good for a fighter, cleric, or fighter/cleric.
Edit: Zboj Lamignat already mentioned this.
If you do decide to include a ranger, use the tracking ability to get some extra tidbits on what creatures you will encounter. Also, in order to simulate dual-wielding, rangers get an extra attack per round.

Also, this is not necessary at all, but you could start off with a human fighter and dual class them to mage at level 2, for some extra starting hitpoints and bow proficiency.

SwiftCrack

Arcane
You should indeed make your bow fighter a ranger, and your sword and shield fighter a paladin.

Nothing wrong with a single class thief even though it doesn't do much besides, well, being a thief (near useless in fights).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom