Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Icewind Dale The Icewind Dale Series Thread

the_shadow

Arcane
I don't like playing with ECL classes, especially Drow and Deep Gnome. They might be OK for fighters, but not for spellcasters. It slows down their spell progression, and unless you level squat, you're not going to get Level 9 spells at the end of normal mode.

Picking the Transmuter class for a minor increase in HP and cold resistance seems a bit pedantic. I think a druid would be better for the different spellbook (particularly barkskin, spiritual wrath, sunbeam, smashing wave, and moonblade).

baturinsky

Arcane
Spell Resistance is a big deal, and if you play with small party, there is more then enough exp to go around.

the_shadow

Arcane
Spell resistance is gravy. You don't have to fight many dangerous mages, and even then, you have Holy Aura.

roshan

Arcane
I don't like playing with ECL classes, especially Drow and Deep Gnome. They might be OK for fighters, but not for spellcasters. It slows down their spell progression, and unless you level squat, you're not going to get Level 9 spells at the end of normal mode.

Well it will just increase the satisfaction of getting those spells in HOF. :) I really don't pick characters builds that make the game easier, I don't mind playing through battles with gimped characters as long as I know they will come out more powerful in the long run.

Picking the Transmuter class for a minor increase in HP and cold resistance seems a bit pedantic. I think a druid would be better for the different spellbook (particularly barkskin, spiritual wrath, sunbeam, smashing wave, and moonblade).

It's not just that, it's also because they have what I consider the most skip-worthy opposition schools. Illusionists have the exact same opposition schools, but then transmuters win because of the gameplay elements.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Yes, they do suck. We are talking about powergaming here.
Hmm okay.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/552350-icewind-dale-ii/faqs/21354
Icewind Dale 2: Ultimate Powergaming Party FAQ
by Ken J. Egervari
Here are the skills and feats you should take for this character:

Skills: Concentration (cross-class for Maximize Attacks)
Feats: 1- Fighter(1): Power Attack,
Martial Weapon, Great Sword (WF)
3- Barbarian(1)/Fighter(2): Cleave,
Simple Weapon, Mace (WF),
6- Barbarian(2)/Fighter(4): Martial Weapon, Great Sword (WS)
Simple Weapon, Mace (WS)
As I mentioned earlier, I think it's important that you select Great Swords,
Axes (for 2-Handed Axes for 3x criticals) or another two-handed weapon for
this character, so it only makes sense that you get the Weapon Focus and
Specialization feats for these weapons. I also thought there was an
abundance of high quality maces in the game, and since you need to master 2
weapons to get Maximized Attacks, it's a good idea to take those feats too.

There's a "power gamer" who recommends that you put points into greatswords in his "ultimate powergaming party faq," ergo you are wrong about their being no decent greatswords.

Or as Josh says "balance is subjective and applicability varies based on character build, play style, and content."

roshan

Arcane
Hmm okay.

by Ken J. Egervari

Simple Weapon, Mace (WS)

There's a "power gamer" who recommends that you put points into greatswords in his "ultimate powergaming party faq," ergo you are wrong about their being no decent greatswords.

Obviously not all supposed "powergamers" are as good at it as others. This powergamer is obviously a failure at powergaming, in the same way that many game designers are failures at game design.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Obviously not all supposed "powergamers" are as good at it as others. This powergamer is obviously a failure at powergaming, in the same way that many game designers are failures at game design.
He wrote a 27,000+ word text about it which is more than you can say. :D

Josh describing the roshans of the world:
The goal is not to make everyone "happy" because a) it's impossible and b) some people are only happy when their niche is excessively rewarded. E.g. sUpAh SnYpA fans in F:NV were very sad when the x5 crit chance bonus was removed from the Sniper Rifle and Gobi Campaign Rifle even though those weapons were still extremely good in their intended role. It didn't matter to some people. They wanted them to be good in all roles. Well, too bad.

Similarly, if someone wants plate armor to be realistic in PE or they want wearing leather armor to allow you to do 300% more damage than someone in heavy armor, those people aren't going to get what they want. That's fine. We have stated pretty clear goals both internally and externally. As long as we feel that we hit those goals and the majority of players agree, we can't worry about the margins who a) never agreed with those goals or b) don't feel we met them. It's just not a productive way to go about design.

roshan

Arcane
He wrote a 27,000+ word text about it which is more than you can say. :D

Tsk tsk. Quite desperate of you to hide behind argumentum ab auctoritate. I think we're done here.

the_shadow

Arcane
Hmm okay.

by Ken J. Egervari

Simple Weapon, Mace (WS)

Or as Josh says "balance is subjective and applicability varies based on character build, play style, and content."

The author recommended investing in a two-handed weapon (most likely due to the 1.5 multiplier to the strength modifier). They never commented on whether weapon selection was better or worse for great swords.

roshan

Arcane
What is level squatting? Having ballast 1-level chars to pull average party xp low enough to keep getting combat exp?

It means not leveling up characters even though they have already enough XP to advance to the next level. I think what you described is called muling.

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
vCmcIf2.png

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
Thanks for the additional comments, bro! I'm not that worried about spoilers - this is a hack and slash game, after all. :P
I'm gonna have a look at the loot tables to see how bad the situation is with great swords and read more about Bane clerics - maybe I'll end up making some changes to the party. :)
I have to say that after reading up on some of the stuff that was discussed here I did end up restarting with an axe fighter and Bane cleric instead of what I originally rolled, so thanks to everyone that chimed in with advice. :bro:

The playthrough is currently on hold, though, thanks to the Path of Exile expansion being released and also partly due to the fact that - I'm sad to say - IWD2 feels like quite a slog. The starting area, Targos, was a ton of fun - especially since my expectations were pretty low - but the quality drops off pretty rapidly after that and the rest of the game thus far has been inferior to IWD1, in my opinion. Granted, I'm only in the Ice Temple, so I'm sure it'll improve towards the end. :)

dukeofwhales

Cipher
The ice temple is the low point of the game. The remaining content is generally pretty good, although it's pretty erratic. The last chapter in particular is great.

roshan

Arcane
Thanks for the additional comments, bro! I'm not that worried about spoilers - this is a hack and slash game, after all. :P
I'm gonna have a look at the loot tables to see how bad the situation is with great swords and read more about Bane clerics - maybe I'll end up making some changes to the party. :)
I have to say that after reading up on some of the stuff that was discussed here I did end up restarting with an axe fighter and Bane cleric instead of what I originally rolled, so thanks to everyone that chimed in with advice. :bro:

The playthrough is currently on hold, though, thanks to the Path of Exile expansion being released and also partly due to the fact that - I'm sad to say - IWD2 feels like quite a slog. The starting area, Targos, was a ton of fun - especially since my expectations were pretty low - but the quality drops off pretty rapidly after that and the rest of the game thus far has been inferior to IWD1, in my opinion. Granted, I'm only in the Ice Temple, so I'm sure it'll improve towards the end. :)

That is the worst part of the game (I wonder who designed it - JE Sawyer?). Most of my playthroughs (probably 3 out of 4) actually end at the ice temple. But whenever I have passed that point I have always finished the game!!!

Metatron

Augur

IWD 2 has probably lower lows than the first one (ice temple, generic mindflayer dungeon #101) but in the end it's the better game though, mainly because both are pretty combat-oriented and the second one has D&D 3rd edition and much better encounter design than the first one. And despite the fact that they're obviously not storyfag games the overal plot and setting were also more interesting than the in that regard very unmemorable first IWD.

jdinatale

Cipher
Hey guys, I just reached chapter 2 and my characters hit level 5. I'm a complete noob, and I'm wondering who I should dual class and which class should be the second one. I have:

Paladin
Fighter
Ranger
Thief
Cleric
Mage

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
The only one there worth dual-classing is the fighter, and generally you want mage. Which means you need to be human and have at least 15 Str and 17 Int. You should dual-class at clvl7 or 9.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom