Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The importance of Wireframe graphics.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I like games that let your imagination fill the gaps.

However, there have to be gaps to begin with.
Not a big black void with some stick figures drawn on it.
If you want that, I recommend pen and paper, but that does require other human beings.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
I made this thread during a manic episode on like the 3rd day of not sleeping and non-stop binging of Wiz-games. That said, I 100% stand by all my words!

:)

Still, you gotta admit look how fucking dope this E: Gothic dungeon looks with anti-aliased wire-frames (!!!!!!!):

-----

Plus that fucking brilliant music. No hyperbole here when I say It is the perfect little mini-homage to 8-bit sound chip sounds as the gimmick for a legitimately solid little tune that manages to evoke the appropriate atmosphere.

This dungeon from E: Gothic would not be as good as it is without all its parts: the dungeon music, the wire-frame graphics, and the NPCs spouting cryptic dialog which is all tied to classic-Wizardry lore.

One NPC intimates that the world of Elminage was born from the ashes of the destruction of the Wizardry-universe without ever using any of the words I just did.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
If I had started with Wizardry 1-5 instead of 7, maybe I would find wireframe graphics acceptable too, but I simply don't.

IIRC, aweigh's first Wizardry was Wizardry 8; people like to have justify their opinions with their life experience, but they often don't hold up.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I made this thread during a manic episode on like the 3rd day of not sleeping and non-stop binging of Wiz-games. That said, I 100% stand by all my words!

Jesus dude, I guess blobbers are a better response to mania than hookers and blow or gambling (better as in cheaper and lower risk, not more fun), but bipolar is degenerative without medication. So please get some meds (or some better meds)! You don’t want to end up in a hospital someday with no computer or internet access. Even just a little Lamictal could smooth things out.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Lamictal doesn't agree with me, mang. I'm currently on Depakote.

Did it give you that damned rash? My gf at the time I took it was super paranoid about it and I spent the first couple of months being inspected for angry red splotches every day.

I hope Depakote’s helping you sleep and not get too manic—the harder stuff is much worse side effects wise. IMHO everybody should be on a cocktail, but I’m probably far too comfortable toying with neurochemistry (my own and anyone who will listen to me).

DraQ

Arcane
I made this thread during a manic episode on like the 3rd day of not sleeping and non-stop binging of Wiz-games.
That explains things.

That said, I 100% stand by all my words!

:)

Still, you gotta admit look how fucking dope this E: Gothic dungeon looks with anti-aliased wire-frames (!!!!!!!):
Dude, get help.

Plus that fucking brilliant music. No hyperbole here when I say It is the perfect little mini-homage to 8-bit sound chip sounds as the gimmick for a legitimately solid little tune that manages to evoke the appropriate atmosphere.
Umm, not really?
And I'm the kind of guy that has a habit of humming chiptunes from time to time (last time yesterday, while taking a dump).
At best it sounds like the author had a good idea but none of the skills necessary to make it work. And it's hard to make slow chiptunes that sound good - the more retro, the harder.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
He's got a point that the 'crawler experience' is basically getting lost and exercising spacial memorization, and wireframe happens to make the first easier and allow you to concentrate on the 'mental map' and number of clicks on your maze transversal.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I don't know, is there a treatment for aspergers yet?

DraQ

Arcane
I don't know, is there a treatment for aspergers yet?
Aspergers is, for example, when you can't stop fapping to this (because you probably just have to have some sort of ASD to enjoy something like this).

The thing ITT, OTOH, is just derp.
That... is fucking awesome!!
Yes. Yes, it is.
https://childrenofadeadearth.wordpress.com/2016/04/15/how-realistic-is-it-actually/
You can get it on Steam too. Shame it isn't on GOG or I would have gotten it much earlier.

Master

Arbiter
it has been theorized by many of the great film scholars that the primary reason film film will always be so entrancing to the viewer or simply put the reason why it will always "look so real" compared to the modern digitally-sourced film is because celluloid film strips were physical material that lack the digital ability to "shoot continuously"; as such there is a gap between every single frame of a celluloid-sourced film strip and while it is something so incredibly brief that were you not told about it one would never know it the fact remains that the human brain can and does "catch" the dark, blank void of the film strip that lies between each frame and when our human eyes are in the process of taking in the movie every time a frame cuts to the next frame we sub-consciously begin to anticipate each void of black lying in wait between each frame and, depending on our level of engagement, our human brain which will be at that moment actively suspending our disbelief begins to fill in the darkness between each frame of the movie with interstitial interpretation that continually unfolds as the movie progresses.

Jrpgfan

Erudite
aweigh needs to be studied.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom