Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

the interface/solid HUD threaaaad

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
We used to have a lot of mock-ups and stuff being posted and I'm seeing that again with the solid interface being implemented. So let's share ideas once again.

I didn't finish this but I wanted to share it anyway, because I think it shows how the wooden interface could be spiced up with something that breaks the monotone wooden material yet keeps it "thematically correct."

5YVARzu.jpg

This breaks out portraits for a less cluttered lower bar space.

It centralizes the text window.

It separates the menu into 3 categories: "used by individual party members if selected" (sheet + inventory), actions (attack, stop, stealth) + selection, and then less frequently used stuff (stronghold, journal, map, game options).

The pause/speed clock should probably be on the left side – perhaps switch place with the resting button (which I took the liberty of replacing with something more interesting).

The action bar might be too tight for space with the heightened text box, but I was thinking that it could be broken down in two ore three rows when needed. I have an idea which I'll update with later.

tqX1bhq.jpg

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
The action bar would probably sit fine above the chat box, MMOARPG-style.

Anyway the point really was to share the idea of having those pillars be part of the UI. Or some variant of them.

veevoir

Klytus, I'm bored
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
Cosmetic difference, nobody asked that question when Larian did it. Then again having modal UI with ability to switch such things as portrait sides is so super future.

This is a pretty solid mockup and fucking ages ahead of current state of affairs.

Seari

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I made this some time ago, still hoping someone will make a BG2 style UI.

jqTbGn7.jpg

Athelas

Arcane
That isn't fully solid though, BG's text log was embedded in its UI (which admittedly works better with the 4:3 aspect ratio games had back then).

Also, the placement of the action bar is all wrong. You need to leave room for the spells/weapon sets/etc. to appear when you hover over the icons.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Interesting, but what will happen later in game is this:

a214e43b76373094767445e0fda12149.png
I addressed this in the comments, and in my second post :D

Cosmetic difference, nobody asked that question when Larian did it..

I detested DOS' UI.

And no, it's not a cosmetic question.
Because it creates a left-side "click zone" with the most common actions being on the left side of the screen. The less frequent buttons and such are put on the right.
Also, it would be super easy to create an option for people who'd want it on the right side.

Athelas

Arcane
Because it creates a left-side "click zone" with the most common actions being on the left side of the screen. The less frequent buttons and such are put on the right.
By that logic you should prefer the current UI where everything is concentrated on the bottom.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
^my thoughts exactly

I prefer BGs version because I don't find myself looking to the left a lot, and the icons I use the most are on the hotbar in the middle.

Athelas

Arcane
Come to think of it, they missed a perfect opportunity by not making the solid UI adra-themed. :cool:

Or maybe the current UI is supposed to reflect the unpredictable way in which adra messes with structures. :troll:

dukeofwhales

Cipher
That looks great Zed, other than the issues with fitting in abilities. I don't actually think there's much wrong with MMO-style customisable hotbars for abilities.

At the point it is too late though, I expect. They won't write extra code for the UI, so it'll be whatever solid UI Kaz can fit around the existing UI elements.

Cosmetic difference, nobody asked that question when Larian did it..

I detested DOS' UI.

It didn't help that it constantly felt like you were fighting DOS' UI to do the simplest of things.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Adra-theme could be another visual flair, I agree.

dukeofwhales yeah I know it's too late. I'd post over at their shitty forums if I wanted them to see it. I just enjoy discussing design and mockups are good conversation starters.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Like everything games are generally anti-sinister. Most often you travel from left to right in gameworlds and they put their most used UI functions there because the UI-fags making games twigged that most people are right hand dominant years ago. Most unexplored BG 2 maps place you on the left side for example (BG1 had more vertical movement links but even so, sometimes you ended up at the lower left corner somehow).
You'll never see a sidescroller going right to left for example.
:rage:

it's not paranoid if they're really out to get you!

Last edited:

Rake

Arcane
bit morecompact and would be perfect
^ This. I love how it looks, but the amount of wasted space is bigger than the IE games. Not a huge problem, but more compact would be better.

Last edited:

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Only thing essential i feel is missing from the PoE UI is a fixed hotbar, i dislike the layered function of the current ability selection UI, and despite it being perceived as necessary due to the amount of abilities, i very much doubt people will use all the abilities on it, on the beta i very much stuck to a small number of core abilities that worked for me.

Perkel

Arcane
Only thing essential i feel is missing from the PoE UI is a fixed hotbar, i dislike the layered function of the current ability selection UI, and despite it being perceived as necessary due to the amount of abilities, i very much doubt people will use all the abilities on it, on the beta i very much stuck to a small number of core abilities that worked for me.

I liked how it was handled in IE games.

You had two ways:

One right click shotcut and you had full lower bar of spells and so on
Or you could just use magic book which gave you full desc beside selection.
What was more important it was part of UI instead of hovering over ui for no apparent reason

I detest those hovering in nothing UIs because either way space near them is wasted and most of the time details in background (when they are transparent) make them less readable than solid filled UI.

Just look at NWN1/2 shit UI. Everything hovering making screen busy instead of being part of UI.

Kem0sabe

Arcane

I liked how it was handled in IE games.

You had two ways:

One right click shotcut and you had full lower bar of spells and so on
Or you could just use magic book which gave you full desc beside selection.
What was more important it was part of UI instead of hovering over ui for no apparent reason

I detest those hovering in nothing UIs because either way space near them is wasted and most of the time details in background (when they are transparent) make them less readable than solid filled UI.

Just look at NWN1/2 shit UI. Everything hovering making screen busy instead of being part of UI.

I also dislike the radial skill choice UI of blackguards or ToEE, its even more obtuse.

A simple interface with option for one or 2 hotbars is more than enough for most players and actually quite better from an ease of use prespective.

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
Come to think of it, they missed a perfect opportunity by not making the solid UI adra-themed. :cool:

Or maybe the current UI is supposed to reflect the unpredictable way in which adra messes with structures. :troll:

I think they missed an opportunity when it comes to solid UI, period. People forget that UIs whose aesthetics fit into the overall theme/art style/setting of the game (they felt like a part of it) weren't exclusive to RPGs back in the 90s, other genres like FPS and RTS had them as well, it was just common for that era. OE missed a nice chance here to generate some good nostalgia feels from the old-school crowd without some grand effort involved. Instead, they went for my immersun/modern minimalistic UI with solid UI implementation boiling down to last minute, half-assed "let's throw grognards a bone" effort.

Of course, UI is not gonna make or break the game as long as it's somewhat functional but still.

Seari

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I like the UI that guy posted a lot, but also thought it was too obtrusive, so I made it a bit smaller.

M3CV3ue.jpg

I cba asking for permission, hopefully he doesn't mind.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
i prefer a minimalist solid UI, without all the wasted space taking away from appreciating what's really important... the isometric 2d art.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom