Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

the interface/solid HUD threaaaad

dukeofwhales

Cipher
Adam (iirc) said in a post on the OE forums that the programming required to implement such a UI would take "weeks", and is outside their current scope. It's a shame, the solid UI got shafted.

Yeah I meant a third party modding a UI such as this in, or will it be limited to swapping existing assets around? I know that they figured out how to move UI elements around - but not sure how many changes can be made by a modder.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Bester and/or Sensuki - is modding something like this in going to actually be practical? Or are we just living in fantasy land anyway?
It's doable with the modding framework, yes. Most elements are easy - they're just background images or buttons placed at different coordinates. Things like spells being scrollable horizontally - this would require some work.

As for whether it would be practical... :lol: I like ushas UI layout, but I'm not a big fan of the graphical components squeezed in by someone else - the wooden columns' repetitive nature, the horizontal arrows, the general feel of "throw stuff in, doesn't matter if it's not the same style or it's not even good to begin with"... I see a lot of people like this UI, but to me it just looks like shit (not anyone's fault, none of us is a UI designer, simple as that), and I just can't imagine finding shit on the street and then "configuring" it to become a sweet candy. I know a great freelancer UI artist from eastern europe, and we could theoretically kick in a few bucks and get the amount needed, but I don't believe there's enough people interested and I've never heard of the gaming community paying anyone for a custom UI, so anything unprecedented is most likely impossible.

Anyway, if a cool UI came to be, I'd make a mod for it.

P.s. I think at least a part of those who say they like this ui - it's more of a manifestation of their desire to have a BG-style UI (which also makes them intentionally overlook its flaws, cause "as long as it's like in bg... :negative:"), and not their love of this particular UI. For example, if Obsidians made this - those people would be shocked and appalled.

Adam (iirc) said in a post on the OE forums that the programming required to implement such a UI would take "weeks"
Cool story. With access to the sources, a matter of 2-3 hours in reality.

Last edited:

Severian Silk

I don't feel much love for the Infinity Engine UI, with all the wood and crap everywhere wasting space. I liked the floating icons of the ToEE UI a hundred times better.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
- it's more of a manifestation of their desire to have a BG-style UI (which also makes them intentionally overlook its flaws, cause "as long as it's like in bg... :negative:"), and not their love of this particular UI. For example, if Obsidians made this - those people would be shocked and appalled.
I don't know where do you get this idea from. People would be jizzing their pants with joy if this would be in the game by default. You can't dismiss the positive reactions towards this UI with "oh, they just want any solid UI, even if it is shit". Sure, it is not perfect, but the default UI is not better either. And really, the complaints about this solid UI are all about icon positions. Like, who the fuck cares, really? If someone want a basic, functional UI, which is 100% space efficient, I hope they like Neverwinter Nights's UI, with all the windows and icons.

BPM

Novice
While I understand that some people want a solid UI such as those presented,
I agree with bester, this is not a good design. A lot of wasted space and inefficient disposal of buttons and elements of ui.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
A lot of wasted space and inefficient disposal of buttons and elements of ui.
This is thrown around a lot here. Why is this a problem? You have high res monitors, who cares if some space is not filled with icons but just some nice textrues. Also, would it be better if every square millimeter had been littered with icons? The purpose of a solid UI is to look good and add to the atmosphere. No, it is not the most functional type of UI, but if you want that, I hope you like the popamole UI of modern AAA games.

For example, this is a totally space efficient UI. Pretty cool huh?
398761.jpg

ushas

Savant
I'd kick in a few bucks for a custom UI.
What about a codex fundraiser?:) How many codexers are POE & solid UI fans?

But please, not anything I did here:(, pretty much agree with Bester on this. Also, throwing ideas is different that overaly thought-out design.

With Grotesque's type of layout, it would be also interesting to have it adjustable to tastes of players. Besides the left panel hiding, in my imagination, the bottom left and right panels can be resizable in horizontal direction. So you can have combat log wide as much as you like, within the limits.

But that would mean even more work on both design and programming sides with different resolutions...

Last edited:

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
There's some functional problems like the quick items and combat buttons being on the left while the rest of the stuff is on the right and the left sidebar is mostly redundant IMO. I also agree about the wasted space. There's lots of decorative bits in between elements that are just taking up room.

It looks really cool, but it's difficult to place all the elements optimally in the U shaped UI.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Not nearly enough. It wouldn't be appropriate to ask people more than 3-5 bucks for something like this, while the total amount should be around $250-$500, so that's at least 100 people. Not going to happen, there's like 10 people here who would actually be willing to do it.

dukeofwhales

Cipher
This is thrown around a lot here. Why is this a problem? You have high res monitors, who cares if some space is not filled with icons but just some nice textrues. Also, would it be better if every square millimeter had been littered with icons? The purpose of a solid UI is to look good and add to the atmosphere. No, it is not the most functional type of UI, but if you want that, I hope you like the popamole UI of modern AAA games.

The IE games never felt like the UI was getting in the way, the way I think some of these mockups do - despite large, high res monitors, the mockups have the interface taking up a greater proportion of the window than even Baldur's Gate at 640x480. As I said, if it were me I would reduce the UI size to about 70% scale. Nothing wrong with aiming to make the UI more intuitive, either.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer

The IE games never felt like the UI was getting in the way, the way I think some of these mockups do - despite large, high res monitors, the mockups have the interface taking up a greater proportion of the window than even Baldur's Gate at 640x480. As I said, if it were me I would reduce the UI size to about 70% scale. Nothing wrong with aiming to make the UI more intuitive, either.
I can agree with reducing the size of the interface, but the overall construction of the UI is very similar to the IE games, so I don't see that big of a difference in terms of practicality.

Rake

Arcane
Not nearly enough. It wouldn't be appropriate to ask people more than 3-5 bucks for something like this, while the total amount should be around $250-$500, so that's at least 100 people. Not going to happen, there's like 10 people here who would actually be willing to do it.
Are you sure? Because i think many people would be willing to give 2$ for a UI they like.
or at least {begs} implement Grotesque's Ui as is and make it optional. I guarantee that many people will prefer it from Obsidian's shitty UI, even with it's flaws

agris

Arcane
Patron
I'm imagining a hilariously sad scenario where Bester launches a KS to implement things in PE that should have been there from the start.

:negative:

Rostere

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

398761.jpg

Wow, that is fucking ugly. And immersion-breaking.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2

398761.jpg

Wow, that is fucking ugly. And immersion-breaking.

Stop being nostalgic.
It's bad for your health and those around you.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
Cool story. With access to the sources, a matter of 2-3 hours in reality.

I hope someone, someday will really call out your bullshit so you can remember it for life

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom