Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Last Door

Unwanted

aktillum

Unwanted
Advertising plant
Anyone played this? Spooky point-and-click adventure game, reminds me of Clock Tower in a way. I'm currently on chapter 4.

tlats.jpg

Redlands

Arcane
It's a perfectly serviceable little adventure. I think I polished off season 1 in about one evening. I think you can still play some of it for free on their site if you're curious. There are certain points that have been quite creepy, even with the highly pixelized graphics.

One thing they do well is the introduction "tutorial". It's not overwrought and it fits in with the game mood.

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
It's a perfectly serviceable little adventure. I think I polished off season 1 in about one evening. I think you can still play some of it for free on their site if you're curious. There are certain points that have been quite creepy, even with the highly pixelized graphics.

One thing they do well is the introduction "tutorial". It's not overwrought and it fits in with the game mood.

i was told this was quite lovecraftian/poe-ian, does it deliver in that sense?

Redlands

Arcane
i was told this was quite lovecraftian/poe-ian, does it deliver in that sense?

Well, it's been a while since I've read any Lovecraft, Poe or played this game, but the game world seems to be of the right era, and it does have some aspects of Lovecraft (namely, a "cult" and insanity and I got the sense of something big and bad and otherworldly dancing on the edges) and Poe (death plays a pretty important point, and masks and of course scary black birds). I think if you were a huge fan of either author and expecting something closer to their work or with their strength in writing, you'll be disappointed and naturally so (it's made by different people from a completely different era and done in a different medium); but I think they do a pretty good job with the setting they were trying to make, and I found there were at least a couple of scenes that were unnerving.

Archibald

Arcane
Played first season. I think that in first two chapters puzzles were very weak, but it picks ups slightly in second half. As for writing my main problem was that its really nothing new. Sometimes it feels like if you played one lovecraft-inspired game then you have played them all.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
On sale again for $3. I grabbed it, played the first two episodes last night.

Excellent horror game so far. Writing is creepy as fuck. Suffers a bit from adventure-itis ("I have to cut the tapestry, so I'll try to glue the broken mirror shards to the small stone gargoyle.") which spoils the mood a little, but nothing too bad. Imo the most important ingredient in horror is pacing, and this game nails it. Episodes are short so you don't have to remember what you're doing for 10 hours or ever ask yourself "Who is this guy, again?"

Last edited by a moderator:

RuySan

Augur
Loved this one, although I haven't played the second. Great atmosphere and the puzzles were fine for the most part. The very unique low pixel look made it quite unique and IMO beautiful

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Liked the rest of the first season, got annoyingly stumped once or twice but walkthroughs not necessary. One or two really nice tricks; I especially liked the one that used sound. Doesn't overexplain stuff which is great. Satisfying ending, didn't leave me starving for the second season but I'll get around to it.

Ivan

Arcane
Season 2 is much meatier than the first. More NPCs to talk to, more expansive locales. Very nice so far!

Don Peste

Arcane
Season 2 is much worse than the first, sadly. Puzzles are often confusing and uninspired. The ambiance lost its novelty, and the same happened to the story/lore, probably dragged for too long and with little talent, and now mostly uninteresting.
Of course, it's very easy to find for cheap, so, recommended for completionists.

Hopefully, they will never make Season 3.
:0-13:

Ivan

Arcane
Finished Season 2

Much meatier episodes with a lot more locales to visit. I did enjoy the fact that while you do control a new character, it delves into backstory of the main group from the first season. I felt like the ended provided some good closure and there were several callbacks to the previous episodes.

Upon reflection, I do recall more item combining in the second season, and there are some solid puzzles that have you use static objects to progress. The final chapter was more story oriented than puzzle solving, but again I'm glad it wrapped things up and didn't end with a tantalizing loose end or anything like that.

Oh god, and the music, it's soooooooooooooooooooooooo gooooooooooooooooooooooood.

Mr. Underhill

Stuck In Attic
Developer
On my to-play list for so long. I love everything about this game from what I've seen, I just never had the time to jump into it. And what a musical score, damn! Awesome. I've watched bits and pieces of gameplay and the atmosphere is incredible, even with such a dearth of pixels. Impressive.

Watser

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
The soundtrack is amazing. I frequently have the OST for season 1 and 2 playing on repeat when I work.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom