Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Last Night - cinematic 3D pixel art cyberpunk adventure

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
So I hadn't heard of this at all until Twitter emailed me the highlights from my totally neglected feed. I looked into it, looked into it some more, and the only thing I can conclusively say is that Zoe Quinn's Wikipedia article is really annoying to read, and her defenders apparently wield a lot of power and I don't know why they even care so much.

So her birth name is Chelsea Van Valkenburg, but I guess she didn't like that name and she had it legally changed. With any other celebrity, the birth name would be mentioned. Not here. Even the talk page has been redacted for "privacy" reasons. And apparently her preferred pronouns are they/their. There was an edit war over that too, and now the article is full of conscious wording to avoid use of pronouns, except in one case where "Quinn says their therapist remarked," and I stopped and said, wait, whose? And before going to make any edits to Wikipedia, I always check the Talk page.

:what:

Seriously. And that's how I ended up coming here to shake my head.

This is the wrong thread for GG stuff.

Last edited:

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Anyway, the game looks bonkers.

TheLastNight_01.jpg

TheLastNight_03.jpg

TheLastNight_04.jpg

TheLastNight_05.jpg

TheLastNight_06.jpg

TheLastNight_08.jpg

TheLastNight_09.jpg

Flashback + Blade Runner

Last edited:

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The text he wrote may treat post-cyberpunk, but the visuals are a 100% homage to 'classic' cyberpunk itself. In a good way.

Stunning visuals!

wyes gull

Savant
Looks terrific and screams Flashback and Another World to me (and PoP to some extent), which is a good thing.

My issue is will the cinematic tendencies get in the way of proper gameplay or not. Flashback did gameplay well but had clear boundaries between it and what little plot it conveyed. AW did involved cinematics wonderfully but the gameplay was pretty pedestrian and not made with the friendliest of design philosophies. Also, the challenge. AW and PoP are criminally short by today's standards. Flashback not so much, but it's the challenge that makes up for the size.

Granted, might not be the best indication, but their initial effort was more pleasing to the eye than to the brain (or fingers).
Still, reasonably excited.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
It would sure be an awful shame if the dev went through all the trouble to create such great art and whatnot only to serve as window dressing for some linear *cinematic* action game/platformer or whatever that you play through in an hour - being constantly on the run and then it's over - and then never again.
It'd be a waste. You hear that, dev?

Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It would sure be an awful shame if the dev went through all the trouble to create such great art and whatnot only to serve as window dressing for some linear *cinematic* action game/platformer or whatever that you play through in an hour - being constantly on the run and then it's over - and then never again.
It'd be a waste. You hear that, dev?

Totally agree. I think the dev said that it's story driven but has replay-ability by making different choices and discovering different things. I wouldn't be surprised if the gameplay was pretty limited beyond that. Hopefully my impression is wrong.

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
So I hadn't heard of this at all until Twitter emailed me the highlights from my totally neglected feed. I looked into it, looked into it some more, and the only thing I can conclusively say is that Zoe Quinn's Wikipedia article is really annoying to read, and her defenders apparently wield a lot of power and I don't know why they even care so much.

So her birth name is Chelsea Van Valkenburg, but I guess she didn't like that name and she had it legally changed. With any other celebrity, the birth name would be mentioned. Not here. Even the talk page has been redacted for "privacy" reasons. And apparently her preferred pronouns are they/their. There was an edit war over that too, and now the article is full of conscious wording to avoid use of pronouns, except in one case where "Quinn says their therapist remarked," and I stopped and said, wait, whose? And before going to make any edits to Wikipedia, I always check the Talk page.

Welcome to post-cyberpunk, enjoy your stay.

Max Stats

Liturgist

Never underestimate a horde of sjw cucks and their ability to be online 24/7 to make sure no one ever gets to properly update a wiki they have "claimed"

bataille

Arcane
Wew, it was genuinely cool to see some love for Lorn in the first trailer.

17 mil, what the hell, when did he explode in such an atomic fashion.

Still, they chose the wrong song, sorry, heh

Self-Ejected

A_boring_GOG_bot

Self-Ejected
Wew, it was genuinely cool to see some love for Lorn in the first trailer.

17 mil, what the hell, when did he explode in such an atomic fashion.

Still, they chose the wrong song, sorry, heh

Now this would be a great music video without that annoying vocal .

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
It looks like there was some conflict with the publisher:

Raw Fury and Odd Tales parting ways on The Last Night
Two years ago, Raw Fury and Odd Tales agreed to part ways on The Last Night. We’ve now finalized an arrangement that gives full publishing rights for The Last Night back to Odd Tales, who will handle the game exclusively going forward. We wish the team at Odd Tales all the best in their future endeavors.

Raw Fury deleted all info about the game from their website.

Anyway the guy in charge says that the game is not dead and it will be released in 2 years:

Taken from TLN's Discord:

Is The Last Night still in production?

Yes, 100%.

It goes without saying that we didn't expect at all that level of success when revealing the game at E3 2017, and this required seriously rethinking the project.

Instead of continuing developing our tiny indie thing, the "minimum viable product", we decided to go for the full vision, even if it required us to ramp up our game as entrepeneurs, to multiply the budget by 20, and to add several years of development. As a new studio, your massive interest for The Last Night at E3 2017 proved that the project was more than viable, and you opened us an incredible window of opportunity to grow & deliver something truly unique while shaking a bit this industry.

When will we see more?

In times where we're inundated with teasers, trailers, hours of gameplay demos and influencer playthroughs before games are even out, we decided to take another approach. The Last Night will remain largely secret until launch. As such, don't expect too much out there. So far we're planning two more trailers, each revealing some new aspects of the game while raising even more questions.

Spending months making trailers is very distracting when we're focused on production & solving really hard artistic, creative, narrative & technical problems, and would slow us down considerably. So, we'll drop our next trailer when we have the right opportunity (a big event preferably), at the right timing for us.

When will it launch?

When it's done. We're at the very least 2 years away from launch. In an era of crunch, we chose to stay much longer in preproduction as we needed to seriously ramp up our budget, prove that we were capable of metamorphosing into a real professional studio, and grow our creative & technical skills, testing, failing, nailing & solidifying hundreds of core technology components supporting our open world: scene streaming, dynamic weather, complex real-time dialogues, action gameplay physics, drone AI, 3D character & camera pathing, randomized layered 2D animations, our next-gen 2.5D graphics tech, etc... The project is now in a solid shape, and we're entering production in 2021 with a larger senior team to execute the vision we tested & laid out in preproduction.

Is Lorn doing the original sountrack?

Yes :heart:

Edit:

This guy lost his mind. I doubt the game will ever be released.

SlamDunk

Arcane

Same GIF with image quality not ass-raped by Twitter's GIF-to-video conversion:

6e3c567ai9571.gif

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom