Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Last of Us

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
There is plenty of actual gameplay footage out there. I think it looks fine for a console game.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
There is plenty of actual gameplay footage out there. I think it looks fine for a console game.

Those 15 minutes (BTW this was almost the same video as the previous one) were a painfully linear romp filled with heavily scripted combat encounters where the player seemed like he was forced to deal with them in a very specific way, that's why I called it glorified QTE in my previous post. I wouldn't exactly call it gameplay, but I can understand if people like this sort of thing if it's done in a competent, cinematic way.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

There was perhaps 2 minutes of actual gameplay, and I say that loosely, in that entire 15:52 video. Is this really what gaming is to today's gamer? I say this as someone who doesn't own a console nor have I played any console games, except one or two that were ported. The last "modern" games I purchased was Crysis 2 (on a Steam sale this Christmas) and DX:HR. I actually liked DX:HR but Crysis 2 was terrible. Yet, even with that game I still felt I was actually, you know, playing it. Not watching an interactive movie. I mean that video just showed a pretty Dragon's Lair from my arcade days in the 80s!

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
I could give it the benefit of the doubt, since maybe it's the start of the game where it tries to get you into the mood and show you the mechanics. Maybe later it becomes more open world and less scripted. I played the new Tomb Raider and kind of enjoyed it as soon as I went past the heavily scripted QTE-fest of the first 15-20 minutes. But frankly what is shown so far isn't gameplay.

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
Screen-Shot-2013-06-05-at-10.20.26-AM-590x339.jpg

I haven't followed this game at all, but it's getting 10/10 reviews all over the place - apparently this is the Citizen Kane of video games. Any chance the mainstream reviewers aren't lying this time and we PC gamers are missing out on the greatest game of this generation?

...yeah, I didn't think so. :D

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Any chance the mainstream reviewers aren't lying this time and we PC gamers are missing out on the greatest game of this generation?

...yeah, I didn't think so. :D
How do you know? Like any other Codexian, you didn't play it, you didn't researched it, all you see is the reviews.

And before you say that "herpderp, it is a cinematic game, so it must be shit", in my book cinematic =/= shit. They have the place in gaming like any other style of game.

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
Sure, you could be right, Matt - it could be great. We'll find out soon enough - my personal guess is still that it's an over-hyped utterly linear piece of poop - just like all the other recent 10/10 games.

I do agree that cinematic doesn't necessarily mean shit, but there does seem to be a correlation between the two. :P

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Might just take my PS3 out of storage to play this, looks interesting and as good a time waster as any until Shadowrun is released and disappoints me.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
There are no good ones. Cinematic games are categorically shit.
Why?

I do agree that cinematic doesn't necessarily mean shit, but there does seem to be a correlation between the two. :P
Sure, but we have to search for the good ones. Maybe it is this.

Hey, you're the one with the review copy. Less time on codex, more time writing a review plz. :P
Eh, Airland and its review took my time, so I only took a peak into it. But I will really start it later today.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Weren't you praising Naughty Dog just a few months ago as some great developer? Not that it isn't heartwarming to see your tastes refine.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Can we have a game where we play as the little girl instead? Your companion character would be the big grizzled he-man and during combat, your role would be to throw him ammo when he asks for it. GAMING MASTERPIECE 11/10

I also hate gameplay videos where the devs purposely walk around really slowly and pan the camera all around to show off their environments, and to pretend there is actual gameplay outside of listening to scripted dialogue and shooting hobos in the face.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Can we have a game where we play as the little girl instead? Your companion character would be the big grizzled he-man and during combat, your role would be to throw him ammo when he asks for it. GAMING MASTERPIECE 11/10

I also hate gameplay videos where the devs purposely walk around really slowly and pan the camera all around to show off their environments, and to pretend there is actual gameplay outside of listening to scripted dialogue and shooting hobos in the face.
No no. You have to shape to your audience. In this case, the subs. You'll be a small (can't hurt that self-image too much) boy throwing ammo to your dom the sister of battle. Pedo variant is focus tested not to work so well with a dominant female.

Luzur

Good Sir
1/10 :rpgcodex:

I'll watch the non-commentary LP on youtube.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom