Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Last of Us

A horse of course

Just finished it on PS4. I give it 6-8 out of 10 depending on how much you liked the story. I don't think it's fair to slam the game for the whole "cinematic" angle, necessarily. It has a substantial amount of mechanical gameplay content, but I'm sure you could cut at least a couple of hours of playtime if you were able to skip parts where you'rebasically just walking around an area or performing some rudimentary puzzle whilst the protagonists natter away. It handles the problem a lot better than, say Half Life 2, where there's absolutely nothing to do aside from throwing crates at people during many "interactive cutscenes". There's a legitimate reason to explore every area and grab critical resources (particularly material for shivs or molotovs, which are almost mandatory for certain sections), although it could be rather frustrating to spend several minutes scouring a very large area and finding...a trophy collectible and a few scraps of hardware (credits for upgrades).

Even if the whole game was nothing but continuously action, however, it would still be far too long. The defense to this is, I imagine, that it was necessary to make use of this time to really draw out Joel and Ellie's character arcs. This is unmitigated bullshit. Their story could've been told just as well over the course of a 2hr feature film. I can think of several lengthy sections - namely Bill's infected town, the outlaw/hunter city, the sewers and the winter areas - that could've been aggressively condensed in both narrative and gameplay. Henry and Sam really did nothing to help keep the story in motion, even if I can see why they were inserted (parallels with J/E etc.). The Hunters and Outlaws were practically identical, and I was surprised to learn that David was inserted as a replacement for an earlier character who was originally meant to be the main antagonist and would hunt the character throughout the game (apparently this was cut for not being "realistic"). Speaking of which, I found it amusing that something like 50% of the main characters in the game are openly or implied to be either gay, lesbian, bisexual or a deviant. :inclusive:

There is precious little variation in enemy design - there are basically three different zombie types repeated over and over throughout the game's 15-20 hrs, and human enemies are divided into melee and ranged. Once you reach the school miniboss, congratulations - you've defeated every single enemy type in the game, now fight them again for the next 60-70% of the game. The game does a poor job with the stealth/combat balance, as it strongly encourages stealth, yet frequently triggers events that will activate every single enemy in the area once you reach a certain point. Reading up on this after I'd finished the game, it turns out that some of these can still be avoided if you're quick enough. But how the hell would the player know this when, by an hour or two into the game, he's conditioned to assume that sneaking is a waste of time except as a means of killing as many enemies as possible before you screw up and have to dispatch the remainder? There were quite a few amusing scenes where I'd kill everything in the area, open the exit door and trigger a cutscene where Joel desperately barricades the door behind him and gasps "that should hold them" :lol: Of course, if you tried to sneak past them and open this door, it would likely make a loud screeching sound and trigger the insta-death melee enemies nearby. :roll: The other reason to abstain from a stealth run is that, as a survival/resource hunting game, you really would prefer to have the opportunity to search the entire area for materials, which isn't feasible if you're also trying to avoid enemies at the same time. The central problem is that, as with certain other stealth/combat hybrid games, you're better off stealth-killing the least risky targets, then using a distraction to corral the rest of them in a tight corridor or a small herd ripe for a molotov. Maybe the point was to make a "realistic" stealth system where sneaking is simply to mitigate the odds you'll inevitably face in combat, but the higher difficulties don't seem to bear this out. The DLC is definitely post-game content in that it throws you into a couple of very difficult fights only a veteran of the combat system would want to grapple with, but it also added much-needed three-way battles that should've been in the base game in the first place.

Putting aside the length, the story was pretty good. A lot of it is communicated through very subtle things - a slight change in tone, an unusual expression, and so on. I'm sure there's a good mastercut of the whole game that turns it into a passable drama. I took a very long time to warm up to Ellie herself. She didn't seem like an especially believable teenage girl, even taking the setting into account - Joel's daughter felt similarly stilted. And when I did start to follow her more closely, her motivations really weren't all that unique to her age or situation. She gets a lot of screentime in the Left Behind DLC, but I didn't find her interesting enough to care, quite frankly. Marlene is revealed as a reasonably engaging character once you reach the final level, but by that point it's been something like fifteen hours since she had anything to do with the story. Joel ticks all the right dots, though I can see some people finding him a little too one-issue. As noted, Henry and Sam were completely pointless, David would've been better as the original character, and Frank is practically comic relief apart from being gay, which is a Very Important Thing according to reviewers. I can't even remember the names of any other characters, just the hundreds of gruff soldiers/outlaws/bandits/rebels you murder. I would say the greatest weakness of the plot was that nothing in the game surprised me. None of the characters did anything unexpected or acted outside their boundaries. The military were portrayed exactly as you'd expect, as were the Fireflies and their Tough Ethnic Lady leader, and the backdrop could've been swapped with a million other post-apoc settings. The issue is not that the game was in need of a shocking plot twist (tm), or that predestination through character motivation is an illegitimate theme, merely that I could guess exactly how a character would react before their lines were triggered. They never broke through to me as real people, just vending machines that would spit out the appropriate flavour when you hit them.

Perkel

Arcane
So why does this game get hundreds of awards? For what? The game was alright. Better than Uncharted by an order of magnitude, but that's not saying much. It's like a 7/10 at most.

Mature writing and story.
Which is like unicorn in gaming.

Imo for me it isn't really that amazing story. Especially after reading few books and so on.
The thing is, that when you try to compare game story to books you read then game must do something good story wise.

Gameplay was nothing to write about though.
My favorite part of game was probably ending.

If they would go with alternate ending it would be shit.
This way it tells story about self preservation is the only good answer in apo scenario and liberalist view that we should strive to something better as whole is shit tier reasoning which can only exist in advanced society which was build on self preservation in first place and rule of iron fist.

Which is why a laugh at retards who think he should give her under knife or should tell her true story. Game in one of the logs even hints that Fireflies don't think vaccine can be made even with her.

edit:

I think Sony should make a movie instead of game for this one.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Yeah, the writing was very strong in this game. One of the few times where I actually felt like a game writer nailed an ending, too.

The game itself is just humdrum action stuff. They did a good job of making it very visceral and adding some variety in locales. AI is interesting enough to fight in certain spots.

GOTY/best ever/Citizen Kanery bullshit I can't really make sense of. It's a solid game, but c'mon now. But I don't get the love for the Uncharted series (which I think are absolutely horrible) so I dunno. Maybe the devs are sucking serious journalistic cock for those glowing reviews.

Gozma

Arcane
It's just a game you can show to a non-game person where it's immediately obvious its film elements are competent and it won't leave them easy openings to shit on it from a higher social perch. Game journalist people desperately need even that level of validation.

A horse of course

I wouldn't call it "mature" any more than the soap operas your aunt watches every evening are representative of "mature" characterization. Neil Cuckmann (the writer) originally a script called "Mankind" in which the virus could only infect women, and the post-apoc society in the game was built around this scenario. Apparently a bunch of women working at Naughty Dog complained and Cuckmann, being a gutless self-flagellating white knight, dropped it, prostrated himself before his religion and apologized for muh soggy knees. Which is why the backdrop is so generic and unimaginative. It's also why most of the woman in the game act like a typecast Michelle Rodriguez with their "stronk independent wombyn" routine. I forgot to mention in my impressions that I already knew the writer was a hardcore SJW and worried this would come through in the game, but it really only manifests itself in the female characters, who are obviously written to avoid stumbling into certain tropes but end up falling into another set of tropes - there's a funny interview with Cuckmann somewhere in which he shits on other writers for not adhering to Saint Anita's Rules for Wombyn (tm) and then desperately tries to spin Sarah (Joel's daughter) as totally different those other female characters that get killed off to further the protagonist's character arc.

warpig

Incel Resistance Leader
Manlet
The gameplay is horrible. As for the storyfagging, a lot of people praise it but the story and the whole "feel" of this game was extremely unappealing and "uncool" to me.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor

I wouldn't call it "mature" any more than the soap operas your aunt watches every evening are representative of "mature" characterization. Neil Cuckmann (the writer) originally a script called "Mankind" in which the virus could only infect women, and the post-apoc society in the game was built around this scenario. Apparently a bunch of women working at Naughty Dog complained and Cuckmann, being a gutless self-flagellating white knight, dropped it, prostrated himself before his religion and apologized for muh soggy knees. Which is why the backdrop is so generic and unimaginative. It's also why most of the woman in the game act like a typecast Michelle Rodriguez with their "stronk independent wombyn" routine. I forgot to mention in my impressions that I already knew the writer was a hardcore SJW and worried this would come through in the game, but it really only manifests itself in the female characters, who are obviously written to avoid stumbling into certain tropes but end up falling into another set of tropes - there's a funny interview with Cuckmann somewhere in which he shits on other writers for not adhering to Saint Anita's Rules for Wombyn (tm) and then desperately tries to spin Sarah (Joel's daughter) as totally different those other female characters that get killed off to further the protagonist's character arc.
So... why do you play this game?

A horse of course

Research

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Research
Buuuuulllshiiiiittt. At least acknowledge that you had some fun with the game. Because anyone saying that they play a dozen hours with a game they don't enjoy is a filthy lier.

A horse of course

Research
Buuuuulllshiiiiittt. At least acknowledge that you had some fun with the game. Because anyone saying that they play a dozen hours with a game they don't enjoy is a filthy lier.

I only play these games to poast about them on the Codex. Otherwise I'd play nothing but Skyrim and Total War games all day.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Research

I only play these games to poast about them on the Codex. Otherwise I'd play nothing but Skyrim and Total War games all day.
You poor soul. Tell me how can I help you.

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Imo the story is great, characters are interesting and feel alive (I like that they don't talk like in cheap TV dramas or 99% of other games) and gameplay is quite solid for a stealth shooter, at least on hard.
Luv'd this one, got really stronk protective instinct vibes regarding Ellie. Easy and maybe cheap way to pull the player in, admitted. Joel's decision at the end was a nobrainer for me.

Last edited:

Mozg

Arcane
That is one self-indulgent trailer

They make a competent moviegame and suddenly they think they can get away with deep soulsquish singing and acoustic guitar

TedNugent

Arcane
Most of the new Sony games are actually made for the cinematic experience.

Their level of ability in integrating motion capture and animation blending is at a very high level as seen in the Uncharted franchise and Heavy Rain.

As far as gameplay experiences they mostly try to either blend basic gameplay elements together into a pleasant couch experience at a favorable ratio (Uncharted was said to be a 33-33-33 split platforming/puzzling/shooting) or try something novel. Don't get too excited about console games.

I wouldn't think about it too hard. It was a good couch game. That trailer for the 2nd game looks retarded. I would buy another Uncharted game if I could tolerate their new PSN which has makes you pay actual money and unlike PS3 does not have dedicated server infrastructure. I can also tolerate the SJWism in Uncharted whereas this looks to be going full feminist. Shallow and not very realistic as a result. It's possible to have a real feminist heroine but there is no way she is going to be relateable like this Ellen Page lookalike.

vota DC

Augur
Haven't played, but watched some videos on youtube and hated the fact the girl you are supposed to protect is just ignored by enemies.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Watched the ending of the first one on youtube, the story was cool for a videogame but the ending was meh, forced as fuck, level design and shooting were so, so, 1/3 of the game were cutscenes, 1/3 was characters talking while walking around and the last third was so so shooting. Decent Walking Dead Episode.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Watched the ending of the first one on youtube, the story was cool for a videogame but the ending was meh, forced as fuck, level design and shooting were so, so, 1/3 of the game were cutscenes, 1/3 was characters talking while walking around and the last third was so so shooting. Decent Walking Dead Episode.

The ending was great. In fact is one of the best things about TLoU.

If you failed to notice or feel that then there is no point in debating it cause you'll never going to get it.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
:necro:

Completed this and the Left Behind DLC. I'm a sucker for action stealth, so I enjoyed the gameplay quite a bit. It also paced the ~tense gameplay sequences~ with the walk-around-and-loot-things-while-sometimes-solving-a-light-puzzle sequences pretty well. I was surprised to find that the original game did not have an obvious "human-enemies-and-zombies-fighting-each-other" section, though the DLC thankfully corrected that oversight.

I wasn't surprised by the writing though. I'm extremely familiar with the genre and ~rules of storytelling~ so I was able to predict everything before it happened. I also didn't like the main character who started as a jerk, and ended as one, and frankly, the beatdown he gets in the sequel is something he had coming. Additionally, a lot has been made about Ellie's ~lesbianism~ but I didn't get that vibe from her at all in the original, and even in the DLC it comes out of nowhere. Felt a lot more like Druckmann suddenly deciding to push an agenda instead of something that came about naturally.

Funny thing is that I'd probably enjoy the gameplay in the sequel since it's my understanding that it's almost entirely the same, but I'm not sure if it's worth enduring an even preachier melodrama, and I'm certainly not going to reward Drucky by buying it anywhere near full price. Perhaps at an extreme bargain.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom