Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Legend of Heroes Thread - Trails of Cold Steel in the Sky

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
So, I recently actually got to finish TiTS SC recently. I'm not really much of a JRPG person (I think the only one I've ever managed to complete beforehand was Xenogears, and this includes bouncing off of multiple Final Fantasies), and I initially bought FC because I was surprised to see a lot of praise for it from people whose taste I tend to respect. Looking into the series as a whole, I also found the idea of a consistent metaplot spanning 7 games and 13 years worth of development to be very intriguing and ambitious. I enjoyed FC a fair bit, mostly for the surprisingly engaging narrative and meticulous worldbuilding, and had high expectations for the sequel after the rather well-done ending twist in the first game. Some TLDR impressions below.

Alas, high expectations are usually followed by disappointment. The systems mostly stay the same with minimal additions so there's not much reason to talk about them. The narrative, though, both in its pacing and content, absolutely drops the ball. The main reason for this, is that it's focused on the villains, who are painfully stereotypical and boring, and would be absolutely at home in a Saturday morning cartoon. About half the game is spent on building up each irrelevant Ouroboros enforcer, then a whole chapter on going through samey dungeons and fighting them again, only to be forced to fight them yet again in the final chapter.

This horrible waste of time (I'd estimate more than half of the game could be removed without altering the story in any meaningful way) is my second main complaint. Everything before the dragon hunt is so painfully inconsequential and stupid, not even the villains themselves care about it. In fact, the only reasonable explanation for their actions in the first half of the game is that they're trying to stave off boredom by fucking with the protagonists. The first game got away with having a relatively low-key plot by always maintaining a sense of forward progression - introducing new locations, new characters, the protagonists slowly moving up in the world, and so forth. In the sequel, this is replaced by running around places you've already seen and accomplishing jack-shit.

The other problem is that Ouroboros in general is just dumb and incredibly out of place in an otherwise grounded and reasonable setting. I don't think I'm having unreasonable expectations here - the entirety of FC's plot is orchestrated by a total of two Ouroboros members, with nobody being the wiser. In SC, it turns out this *secret*, clandestine organization has enough resources to effectively wage war on a small country by itself, and is seemingly incapable of accomplishing anything without throwing its huge weight around. In Chapter 3, I honestly expected an Ouroboros scheme to galvanize the international situation, distracting the military by threatening war with the empire, and therefore giving them more room to maneuver (this kind of happens later but is resolved in 10 minutes...). But nope, it's all stupid brute force from that point on, with nary a hint of intrigue.

This is especially disappointing because the antagonists in FC remained threatening without being superpowered anime tropes. In fact, the final chapter of FC is my favourite, because it creates a very effective feeling of being outmaneuvered by Richard and co, and having to desperately grasp at chances to turn the tide. Again, this is not because the Intelligence Division is composed of unbeatable superhumans, but because they're well-informed and politically savvy. Incidentally, they also have very reasonable and understandable motivations, much unlike the "I'm just here along for the ride" Ouroboros enforcers.

Similarly, the Joshua situation is resolved in 5 minutes in a very anticlimatic manner, and has little to no meaningful consequences whatsoever. You'd think being brainwashed into the perfect child soldier by a sadistic psychopath who can literally manipulate memories would cause some mental problems, but nope. Even the promises SC itself makes, it fails to deliver on - the Aureole is a very cool concept, basically a near-omnipotent sentient AI forcefully building a Brave New World style utopia, which is way more interesting than your average ancient artifact; but then, none of this ever comes up, and its only use is making Weissman into a multi-form final boss.

Overall the game gets better in its second half, the tower dungeons exempted. In fact, the chapter where you get to traverse the whole country without orbal power is a much better take on "go places where you've already been and see what has changed" than chapters 1-5, and having to give up using arts on your characters as you progress is a nice gameplay-relevant consequence of the whole setup. Pity it's ruined by more Ouroboros bullshit at the end.

I want to say I'm not exactly looking forward to the third chapter after this, but the ending twist with Kevin killing Weissman was pretty cool - but then again so was FC's twist with Joshua, and that ended up having very disappointing payoff, so I'll probably wait until I'm in the mood for this type of game again. It's all a bit unfortunate, especially since I'm told that the already localized Cold Steel games are worse than Trails overall, so it seems Falcom has also hopped on the decline train. Pity.

Deleted member 7219

Well written and well thought out. I disagree with it, but it was well written.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I agree that SC is not as great as FC for reasons you mentioned + I enjoyed how, for the most part, low-key FC was. I felt that it had the feeling of setting out on a new adventure, too, that SC lacks (just by virtue of being a second chapter, among other things).

However, I still enjoyed SC a lot and didn't feel disappointed because essentially, for me TitS is about atmosphere and attention to detail (in everything from worldbuilding to well-written PC/NPC dialogue) plus solid combat, and SC does have all that. Even though the atmosphere was harmed a bit by SC going all-out anime/epic.

Agreed about the revisiting the country without orbal power part. It was one of my favorites, too.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
I agree that SC is not as great as FC for reasons you mentioned + I enjoyed how, for the most part, low-key FC was. I felt that it had the feeling of setting out on a new adventure, too, that SC lacks (just by virtue of being a second chapter, among other things).

However, I still enjoyed SC a lot and didn't feel disappointed because essentially, for me TitS is about atmosphere and attention to detail (in everything from worldbuilding to well-written PC/NPC dialogue) plus solid combat, and SC does have all that. Even though the atmosphere was harmed a bit by SC going all-out anime/epic.

Agreed about the revisiting the country without orbal power part. It was one of my favorites, too.

Yeah, I actually did enjoy chapters 1-3 moment-to-moment, for the same reasons you did. The disappointing resolution of chapter 3, and chapter 4 starting with "oh ho ho Ouroboros on the prowl again" is where the whole thing started to unravel for me. And in hindsight, 1-3 are really lazy as well, but it's not so apparent as you play through them. Chapter 6 is objectively pretty shit as well, but at that point I was just happy that something was happening and the status quo was changing.

The anime/epic stuff doesn't really bother me so much in principle - the sudden appearance of the Ark and the subsequent orbal shutdown chapter are an example of epic done right, and exploring the Ark itself is compelling enough if we forget about the final dungeon. I feel like they had all the elements necessary for a good narrative in there, but chose to execute them in a really boring and unimaginative way. For example, while you run around putting out fires caused by bored Ouroboros lackeys, other bracer teams get actually useful shit done, like finding their secret base. You ostensibly spend the first half of the game investigating stuff, so why can't it be relevant stuff like that instead of "enforcer did it for the lulz" (I wish I was exaggerating, but this is literally true...)?

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
That's basically the plot of the first 4 chapters - enforcers having to test gospels, and doing it in the most conspicuous way possible because of boredom. They pretty much say so themselves. What exactly are you confused about?

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
I just wasn't sure what point you were trying to get across.

The narrative problem with chapters 1-4 isn't that what your party is doing isn't relevant, it's that the game doesn't provide enough context and information regarding these tests. They end up feeling less important than they are because you have no idea why exactly are Ouroboros conducting those experiments. The game tells you very little about the original Gospels and their powers so you can't tell what results exactly are the enforcers trying to get and why. Their older Gospel modes, like the one they gave to Richard, were able to open the first Aureole seal at the end of FC so what exactly was wrong with it?

IRyuI

Barely Literate
Hey guys, I just started Sora no Kiseki the 3rd, and was wondering if there is a new game plus mode for this.

Anyone knows?

IRyuI

Barely Literate
Lol I went out and completed a run of the game while waiting for a reply here, and yeah, there's NG+ in the game.
Didn't have the endurance to speed through another run to double check on the Zemuria Stones though...

Anyway, I was playing the Japanese PC version- probably will have some minor changes in the English.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Trails in the Sky the 3rd coming in May 3rd:

C80wCJvUMAArfqm.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom