Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Legend of Heroes Thread - Trails of Cold Steel in the Sky

Deleted member 7219

Third is great, you should definitely play it.

Irxy

Arcane
Project: Eternity

didnt realize they translated the drama cds

Drama CD = script of the content stripped from the game?
Finished the game not long ago and that moment when you're told "oh, and the party also visited the protagonist's hometown, and a bunch of stuff happened there, but we're not telling you as it happened in-between chapters o.O" was totally weird.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
It's not the end of the world if Xseed doesn't get it, and porting a Playstation game is a new and exciting (expensive and difficult) undertaking for programmers compared to Xseed's usual fare.

I doubt they'll get it honestly. As long as they keep the Xseed VAs and the amount of voice acting cold steel 1 had it'll be fine tbh, the translation for Tokyo Xanadu was acceptable.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Localization often has a bigger impact on the writing than most people realize. Assuming some other company gets future Trails games, even if they really put time and effort in it, the English writing will probably still feel off and recurring characters different since Xseed has localized all the previous games.

Of course, getting the game at all is the most important thing in the end.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Xseed has had multiple different localisers over the games though, Trails 1 to Trails 2 to Trails 3 was all different, I haven't checked the overlap with their other releases but I expect they had some personnel turnover there as well.

Irxy

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Xseed has had multiple different localisers over the games though, Trails 1 to Trails 2 to Trails 3 was all different, I haven't checked the overlap with their other releases but I expect they had some personnel turnover there as well.
They have a dedicated editor though, so the dictionary is consistent.
Seriously doubt that many other companies would bother, I played Tokyo Xanadu and some of the lore is translated differently.

Deleted member 7219

They have a dedicated editor though, so the dictionary is consistent.
Seriously doubt that many other companies would bother, I played Tokyo Xanadu and some of the lore is translated differently.

Yes, all the Trails games localised by XSEED are consistent with each other and they all receive updates to keep the naming of things in line in case a new game changes something.

Brittany supervises the localisation and Sara is the programmer for TITS (Durante being the public facing guy for TOCS).

I want these people to continue managing things going forwards. That is why I want it to stay with XSEED.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Brittany the supervisor on Twitch: I watched 2 episodes of Free! dubbed and I thought "I absolutely have to have that in my game" and that's how Rean/Torval got his voice

Last edited:

Deleted member 7219

People should buy this since this will probably be the last falcom game xseed makes for pc.

Why do people keep saying this?

NISA just screwed up Ys 8 twice. I don’t think Falcom will be giving Trails to them.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

Release date: Valentine's Day
xseed knows their audience :shittydog:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/le...d-releases-on-february-14.19188/#post-3813395

Durante said:
Here's a full list of changes/improvements in the PC version:

Graphics:
- Arbitrary resolution and FPS settings (Up to 6k and 60 FPS officially supported, minimum resolution 1280x720)
- Image quality settings: up to 8x multi-sample anti-aliasing, transparency supersampling, and anisotropic filtering
- Shadow quality, distance and filtering improvements as well as additional shadow casters
- Postprocessing improvements, including HBAO+ as well as higher quality depth-of-field and glow effects
- Unlimited draw distance option (eliminates pop-in)
- Ultrawide aspect ratio support (e.g. 21:9)
- Field of View (FoV) adjustment

Input:
- Mouse/keyboard controls with full rebinding support
- Selectable button prompts, including mouse/keyboard and several controller types
- Gamepad button rebinding
- Option to disable camera auto-centering

Quality of Life:
- Turbo mode, with configurable speedup factors for battles and field traversal (automatically stops during timed battle input prompts)
- Autosaves with configurable autosave interval
- Instant resume feature which allows you to resume directly from Steam to your latest save
- Options for skipping startup movies and logos

Audio:
- 5271 additional lines of voice acting
- Uncompressed background music quality

34scell

Augur
As someone who liked the gameplay of the first game but was irritated and bored by the amount of trite writing, do the other games improve in this regard?

Deleted member 7219

As someone who liked the gameplay of the first game but was irritated and bored by the amount of trite writing, do the other games improve in this regard?

Probably not. There are even more speeches in this game. There are speeches in every Trails game, but the Cold Steel games are unique in terms of how much the main characters really love each other and they make a point of announcing this every time they reunite.

I happen to feel that the other writing in the game serves plot and lore purposes and is worth reading through.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 7219

Durante come and join our circlejerk!

Can you give us any Codex exclusives? How helpful were Falcom with your work on the CS ports? Did they provide you with original art assets? I noticed the spelling errors on things like signs got fixed in a CS1 patch, did they do that?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom