Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild for Wii U and Switch

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
People instead of buying the game are giving money on patreon to cemu developers :troll:

imweasel

Almost 22K dollars monthly. That explains the steady amount of releases.
TrumpSmug.png

qtFGupd.jpg

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
Finished the game, took me ~45 hours. It was still enjoyable even after the honeymoon phase of first ~20 hours.

I hope that the next Zelda builds upon their open-world formula and adds proper themed dungeons.

Last edited:

Keldryn

Arcane
I must really be taking my time then... Been playing about 4-5 hours a day for the last week and a half and I've only just started the first of the dungeons and completed about 25 shrines. Still haven't revealed all of the map regions yet either.

There's just so much to see and do in this game. Still keep finding new things here and there (often in the form of unexpected interactions). My honeymoon phase with the game hasn't ended yet. It's been a long time since a game grabbed my attention this way.

Also helping my 7 year old play it (from the start). She still insists that I do all the fighting for her though. She's been at it for a good 7 hours today. That's my girl. :)

J1M

Arcane

That's pretty cool, but I wish Nintendo would invest some effort into their UI so you didn't have to constantly access the menu screens. It's been a consistent problem since at least Ocarina of Time.

Keldryn

Arcane
It's somewhat better here, as there are shortcut pop-ups for changing weapons, bows, shields, arrows, and runes.

You still need to access the menu screen for materials, armor, and food. But for the stuff you're needing to change frequently, you've got those shortcuts.

Keldryn

Arcane
I've also spent a fair bit of time studying Link's animations and figuring out how they might be built using tools that I have available.

I've picked up on a lot of dialogue that changes depending on the weather, clothing or time of day. Pretty nifty.

As far as open worlds go, this really is an amazing an out-of-the-box experience. But the biggest crime that this game isn't on PC is the lack of modding. I legitimately think this could've be my favorite game if it had the modding support of something like a New Vegas. Modding would take care of most of my issues with the game, since they're relatively minor.

As an aside, I really wish I had the foresight to capitalize on amiibo reselling before the game came out. One of my buddies has made a couple hundred dollars selling Zelda amiibos since they unlock Link's classic costumes. The only amiibo I own is the Link that unlocks Epona, which was going for $60+ the last time I checked. I'm almost tempted to gamble on a few Mario amiibos before the new one comes out, but I doubt it would be as lucrative as the BOTW / console launch.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Amiibos are absolutely not needed for anyone concerned. Lots of the armor/weapons are just reskins and require Star Fragments to upgrade.

I've found like... 3 Star Fragments in my 80+ hours of playing. All three used for Ancient Armor. Ancient Armor is really the only set worth using them for.

Amiibos are absolutely not needed for anyone concerned. Lots of the armor/weapons are just reskins and require Star Fragments to upgrade.

I've found like... 3 Star Fragments in my 80+ hours of playing. All three used for Ancient Armor. Ancient Armor is really the only set worth using them for.
Besides you can pirate the NFC bin files and buy a usb NFC reader/writer and some NFC stickers.

Ivan

Arcane
Holy shit, I just starte dplaying, and by I just started playing I mean I binged some 20 hours into it. It's amazing. I'm absolutely loving it. Definitely scratches that Gothic itch and then some.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
It goes without saying for most but use the map markers. It will save you time if you aren't a walkthrough whore.

Breath of the Wild, NuDoom, and Resident Evil 7 have at least one thing in common for me, they're 'good for what it is' but they make me worry how shitty the next game will be because there are some serious flaws in these games and you know deep down they wont fix them. Zelda with it's shitty durability and pissy easy main quest, NuDoom with a shitty shotgun and those ass load of arena rooms, and Resident Evil with unskippable scripted events and lack of enemy and weapon variety.

Didn't watch but I wouldn't have minded some more variety in some instances. Maybe some different shrine palettes here and there a la Zelda 1 or Zelda 2. Some harder or more varied scenarios in the combat shrines (i know DLC is coming but still). I don't mind the bestiary overall but there are definitely some classic foes missing. And after awhile the scaling does become obvious, especially with regards to itemization. Also think they could've done more enticing rewards with the korok seeds, tho I didn't spoil myself on what you get for collecting them all.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Didn't watch but I wouldn't have minded some more variety in some instances. Maybe some different shrine palettes here and there a la Zelda 1 or Zelda 2. Some harder or more varied scenarios in the combat shrines (i know DLC is coming but still). I don't mind the bestiary overall but there are definitely some classic foes missing. And after awhile the scaling does become obvious, especially with regards to itemization. Also think they could've done more enticing rewards with the korok seeds, tho I didn't spoil myself on what you get for collecting them all.

Many of the things you mentioned are simply weaknesses of most open world games. There's some samey-samey when you allow anyone to go anywhere.

Scaling also happens to a certain degree. Even Morrowind has small amounts of this.

But there's also enough static elements like weapons in specific locations and other random items like the Hylian Shield that are also present.

But there's also enough static elements like weapons in specific locations and other random items like the Hylian Shield that are also present.
For example you wanna know why the map has sword, bow, arrow, sheild and leaf stamps? Because those weapons will respawn in the exact same place after you break them. So if they break you just warp to the nearest shrine and pick up said weapon, or just grind all of the combat shrines to get the energy weapons.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom